Regulator Free Flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank Belvin Sr.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm a new diver, and have done a few dives since being certified, but I worry about free flows. I suppose the reason why I worry is because I haven't experienced it during a deeper dive. What techniques have you found work best when encountering this?

If the regulator is in your mouth, its highly unlikely. But if it does, you can either move over to your spare and surface, or grab your buddy, and use their spare and surface. And of course you can do the sip air method they train you on in Open Water.

Most free flows happen when the reg is out of your mouth. In that case you can flip it upside down in the water, or stick it back in your mouth and blow back in to it.

I'm surprised that of all the things to worry about, you have focused on a free flowing regulator. Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not making fun or being a jerk. It's just that I've never considered free flows to be a big concern if it does happen, or even a high possibility of happening in the first place.

I worry about lots of other things before I worry about free flows :)

I'm a new diver, and have done a few dives since being certified, but I worry about free flows. I suppose the reason why I worry is because I haven't experienced it during a deeper dive. What techniques have you found work best when encountering this?

You should have practiced breathing from a free-flowing regulator during training. If you haven't, it might be a skill worth learning from an instructor.

In an open-water dive, you should be able to complete a direct (but safe) ascent to the surface before the air supply is exhausted.

I use H valves and twin 1st stages for some dives. One of the main benefits is that such a configuration allows a free-flowing 1st stage to be shut off, though doing so requires practice. An alternative for you to consider.

If you have a free flow on the reg in your mouth, tap it to full open a few times to see if it stops and then just breath on it as you and your buddy ascend. If you run out of air switch to your buddies octo. I don't believe in taking the free flowing reg out of my mouth and then breathing MORE air from my backup reg. Only happened to me once though.

I haven't encountered one yet (other than when it's been out of my mouth, as The Huth said). In my experience as a DM, I have seen instructors demonstrate about 5 different ways to breathe from the free flow. It's not something that concerns me much.

Like @Scubagolf, I've only had a freeflow happen on the surface when the reg was out of my mouth so I just flipped it over & it stopped. I haven't really seen this mentioned often as happening underwater unless you're diving super cold/ice, but if it does happen here'd be my plan of action:

1. Tap the reg to see if it stops freeflowing. (Even if it does, I would still ascend with my buddy & wouldn't dive with that reg until it was serviced by a professional shop.) If it doesn't stop, then I'd...
2. Try to kink it like a garden hose to reduce/stop the flow & then use my other reg while ascending with my buddy.
3. If #2 doesn't work, I would likely "sip" air from the freeflowing reg as taught during open water certification & ascend with my buddy.
4. If I run out of air, I would use my buddy's spare while we ascend.

Most of all, I'd tried to stay calm as this is a survivable scenario whereas panic can kill you.

btw @gr8jab I think people new to diving can focus on random things because everything is so unfamiliar & they don't know which scenarios are more likely to occur. When I was a newbie, \ I focused on whether I would be constantly (& alarmingly) holding my breath all the time since I was trained as a synchronized swimmer to hold my breath underwater. I didn't have this problem as a diver & in fact have the opposite problem...I now breathe underwater even when I shouldn't like when I'm snorkeling. lol

My instructor did teach on how to properly breathe out of a free flowing reg. My question was brought about mainly because I saw it happen at 60+ ft. The guy it happened to panicked. I believe I was trained well in the matter. I'm just attempting to see if there are any other tips and tricks outside of what I was taught.

Back
Top Bottom