Regulator opinions welcome for a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Close. The Tern is the Peregrine in watch form factor. The Tern TX adds the AI & compass.
No, It’s not. It uses the Teric firmware. I know because I have one and there are some differences between the Teric and Peregrine/Perdix that show up in the Tern

@Pbdiver84, my point was the Tern does not have AI or compass, two major rec features that the Teric does. To get those, one has to buy the Tern TX.

I am currently getting open water certified. I need some help on equipment, particularly the regulator. Any input is appreciated. I do plan to travel and dive tropical but also local, so temps between 50F-85F would be my guess. I have read all kinds of reviews and threads with opinions but none seem to answer all my questions or cover what exactly I am looking for.
1) Do "Travel regulators," really make that much of a difference. I can't see the weight being drastic enough to need to go that route.
2) Stay away from used? Assuming well maintained should there be a cutoff, like 5 year old models?
3) I prefer to buy a package with everything (inflator hose, primary, secondary, alternative, SPG). If going that route what would be your recommendation.
4) I assume you get what you pay for. If you spend upfront, you don't have to replace, you upgrade. Having said that, I don't want to break the bank and would guess more middle of the road to bottom half price range. I knew it was expensive before I started, but want to be economical not cheap.
I appreciate your time and any advice.
A few thoughts of my own. Not necessarily correct, but my opinion.
1. Travel gear or that which is marketed as such is not good. All gear can travel.
2. I would avoid used. You don’t know service history, whether it can get parts etc. plus you will have to get it serviced anyway after buying so likely the savings you thought you had could’ve probably gotten you close to new reg.
3. Packages are generally cobbled together and i rathet get the best rega possible and get an spg separate. There are plenty of good computers that are well priced.
4. Buy the best you can or you will buy it again. Seriously i have a pile of gear i bought cheap and replaced later

I am currently getting open water certified. I need some help on equipment, particularly the regulator. Any input is appreciated. I do plan to travel and dive tropical but also local, so temps between 50F-85F would be my guess. I have read all kinds of reviews and threads with opinions but none seem to answer all my questions or cover what exactly I am looking for.

1) Do "Travel regulators," really make that much of a difference. I can't see the weight being drastic enough to need to go that route.
travel regulator will made out of lighter materials or smaller build, alone on itself may not save much weight, but you get a lot of weight back when combined with travel bcd and lightwieght fins. extra space for travelling divers.
2) Stay away from used? Assuming well maintained should there be a cutoff, like 5 year old models?
there's actually no cut off for some brands, i know scubapro and apeks can last a really long time since some model they still share components with current models.

but if you are not technically oriented to inspect its condition before purchase, stay away from used.
3) I prefer to buy a package with everything (inflator hose, primary, secondary, alternative, SPG). If going that route what would be your recommendation.
4) I assume you get what you pay for. If you spend upfront, you don't have to replace, you upgrade. Having said that, I don't want to break the bank and would guess more middle of the road to bottom half price range. I knew it was expensive before I started, but want to be economical not cheap.
3-4) diving in your area with colder water i'd get aqualung, apeks, tecline, or dive rite with environmentally seal diaphragm system. If they are out of your budget, DGX D6 will do.

4. Buy the best you can or you will buy it again. Seriously i have a pile of gear i bought cheap and replaced later
5. Buy the best you can AND you will it buy again. Seriously I have a pile of gear I bought not cheap and replaced later.

(as I look at the pile of Scubapro MK11s (including two MK11ts), the ScubaPro/Halcyon MK 17/H-D50s, the Apeks XL4s, the SP G260s, the Atomic B2/ST1s ... Not to mention the metric ass ton of tanks...)

5. Buy the best you can AND you will it buy again. Seriously I have a pile of gear I bought not cheap and replaced later.

(as I look at the pile of Scubapro MK11s (including two MK11ts), the ScubaPro/Halcyon MK 17/H-D50s, the Apeks XL4s, the SP G260s, the Atomic B2/ST1s ... Not to mention the metric ass ton of tanks...)
Buy right and buy the best appropriate kit.

scubapro is doing fine for me since 2010. for a level entry reg you could look at cressi. i will stay away of use gear. You will have great proud of having your own set that you choose according to your need.

or a level entry reg you could look at cressi. i

I would not consider Cressi regulators at all. Problematic, go out of tune frequently, lack of mfg. support, sub-bar performance, etc.

I like Deep 6. They come with the 1st service kit and 1st service (you have to return ship to them but with the kit you could get them serviced anywhere). The manual is online. If you take their class it's free parts for life.

If you factor in the free 1st service I'm not sure you could come up with a less expensive reg. It has everything you would want, diaphragm, swivel, 5th port, sealed, great for cold water. I haven't serviced mine in 5 years, ip is rock solid. I might take them apart soon just to see.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 7
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom