Regulator purchase question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nebdiver

Reaction score
I am on the slow countdown for my OW class (4 wks!) and am trying to figure out what equipment I will need after I take the plunge. My question is when getting your first regulator setup do you need to get the reg, octo, and gauges at the same time? It doesn't seem likely that you would be able to just rent the different components separately (aren't they all connected?) and I am trying to at least get a rough estimate of cost through my LDS. Is an octo required at the time of purchase? My plan is to get my OW this spring and spend the rest of the year working on skills in the local quarry or lakes while renting and gradually getting my own gear but I am not sure how to plan the regulator purchase. Thanks!

Nebdiver:
I am on the slow countdown for my OW class (4 wks!) and am trying to figure out what equipment I will need after I take the plunge. My question is when getting your first regulator setup do you need to get the reg, octo, and gauges at the same time? It doesn't seem likely that you would be able to just rent the different components separately (aren't they all connected?) and I am trying to at least get a rough estimate of cost through my LDS. Is an octo required at the time of purchase? My plan is to get my OW this spring and spend the rest of the year working on skills in the local quarry or lakes while renting and gradually getting my own gear but I am not sure how to plan the regulator purchase. Thanks!

Congrats on a wise choice to join the world of underwater fun.

Couple of things.

Depending on the dive shop, you might be able to rent components such as a console... however I don't recall ever seeing a shop in my area do this, other than possibly renting an air integrated computer console.

You CAN buy it all seperately, such as add the octo/backup later, however you shouldn't really dive it, without a reg to donate to an OOA buddy, you aren't a very effective buddy. And without an SPG you can't monitor your own air supply very well.

The BEST advice one can give (and you will get many people who say the same thing I think) is to rent as MUCH and as different of things as you can. Some shops will rent bottom end gear, some will rent mid range, and there are some who will have demo/rentals of high end regs.

Get to play with as many as you can (after cert) and figure out what you like. There are many good brands out there... many people prefer a few major brands such as ScubaPro, Atomics, Aqualung, Apex, and others, but most all are fairly similar in design and function.

Also Rodales is a good place to look at how well a particular regulator actually performs.

It is my opinion that after a certain point, all regulators are the same performance wise, other than having a different feel... on a recent dive with my buddy we practiced our OOA drills, and when I recieved his Apex primary, I was surprised at how different it felt from my ScubaPro, it wasn't better, it wasn't worse, just different, and it had a different feel to it... after so many dives with mine, it felt weird. You will probably rent a regulator at some point, and go WOW I love this thing, and that will probably be what you buy.

Don't belive everything a sales person tells you as the only true word... there are sales people out there who don't have a clue what they are talking about, and who will sell you what you don't want or need. Just be aware of it, and try and research as much as you can prior to talking to them, it gives you a feeling for if they know what they are talking about and selling, or if they don't have a clue, or are flat out lying to you.

Enjoy the sport, and good luck in your class.

It depends on how you want to buy. Most regulators come standard with just a first and second stage. You can then add whatever octopus and gauges you wish, for an additional cost. Inflator hoses are not normally included, as you will get those when you purchase a BCD and/or drysuit.

Most shops offer a "package" that includes everything you need (i.e. octopus and console with gauges and/or computer). Since you're just starting out, a package may be what you're looking for.

FWIW - if you have a choice, I'd recommend you consider getting your dive computer and compass on a wrist-mount, rather than a console. It gives you more options, plus it's more convenient if you have to send your regulator in for service or maintenance (the gauges won't be attached to the reg).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nebdiver:

Having your own gear will make you more comfortable in the water. You should get a good reg that can grow with you. There are some great regs out there at good prices. Do a search on the Rodales Scuba Diving website for the "Mother of All Reg Reviews". This article will provide some great data for you. This was done Oct of 02 as I recall so the info is relatively recent. Keep in mind - regs need to be serviced each year. Parts cost approximately $40 and labor will cost about $40 each year. Scuba Pro for example offers lifetime free parts.

You may not want/need a traditional Octo depending upon your preference of setup. You can use an Air 2 (or with Seaquest it's called the Air Source) which is an integrated BC inflator/regulator system. I have a Seaquest BC and use the Air Source. It is cleaner than a traditional Octo setup by reducing the number of hoses and combining functions.

I suggest you buy a regulator tested to perform well beyond your current diving needs and a console with a computer, SPG, and compass. Speak with some people and also think about what sort of system you want in terms of a traditional Octo or integrated system. This as a start will serve your needs for quite some time.

--Matt

Buy the reg, octo, and gauges all at once. You won't be able to use any component by itself. If you can't afford it right now, keep renting :)

The BCs that I was renting at the time all had ScubaPro's Air2, so that took care of the octo. And the computers that I was renting were console-mounted units with pressure gauges, so that took care of that.

Depends on what's available to rent. You may need to bite the bullet and get it all at once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom