Regulator record - anyone beat this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
What is your SAC? I've been diving with a lot of larger women who use less air than all the men they dive with, especially the new divers. :wink:

While my wife is not fat and does not dive, she must have an incredibly low Sac rate because She can talk for 5 minutes without taking a breath.

Continuing on with the PADI bashing as usual. Why is it here on SB that every time someone starts a thread about a bad diver, or a diver complains about an issue they had it is ALWAYS the fault of PADI. Get over it people and start being responsible for yourselves. If you suck at diving, take up crocheting or a sport where you can't feasibly die at any given time. That is the chance we all take when we jump in the water. You can't always blame lifes issues on someone or something else.
End of rant thanks:popcorn:
Kelly

H2Andy:
if some air is good, more air has to be better, right? why not carry an AL40 pony?

I'm taking too much stuff on the plane as it is. If the airlines would stop reducing weight limits.............:shakehead

philmayer:
I'm taking too much stuff on the plane as it is. If the airlines would stop reducing weight limits.............:shakehead
Not to mention that a pony must weigh, what... 300-400 lbs ? He MUST use more air underwater than a diver alone, and if that sucker runs out of air he will suck the rest of mine up in a heart beat, unless I have enough spare regs that will allow a safe ascent at 65' per minute. I figure I would need at least 4 regs in that case. :rofl3:

Just suppose

A diver and his partner are diving at 100' or deeper, and they check thier SPGs and thier air looks good, then 5 minutes later for the first time they see a HUGE shark, they both stay calm, but dont notice that their breathing has speed up, for the next 5 or 10 minutes. Then suddenly one of thier second stages explode or malfunction and free flow, and they have to share air or use the others octo. But before the accent they check the SPG to the divers tank which they are both breathing from, and it shows less than 500 psi, while they are at 100".

They both did not realize they started sucking air faster once they saw the shark. In that scenario is less than 500 psi enough for 2 divers to ascend and do thier safety stops? I know they should have especially kept a close look at thier SPG every minute, but suppose they did not because they kept watching the shark. What should they do in a scenario where one diver depends on his/her dive partners octo, but the dive partners tank only has 500 psi or less?

My main point is, if divers know they will be going down to 100' or more, wouldnt it be a good idea they both take pony bottles, just incase something like a huge shark distracts them or helping someone else distracts them from the air in thier tanks?

How can more air or regs be too much or unsafe?

Tigerman:
Oh, you have one of them fake cert cards?
Cause mine specifically states not only the instructors name, but also his instructor cert number..
Wow, you were "Certified by Bob the Wonder Squid"? Can you post a pic of that card, I would really love to see it?

J.R.:
Wrong... my card doesn't say, "Certified by Bob the Wonder Squid"... it sez' SSI... or PADI... or NAUI... instructors are just agents of the dark forces bound by whatever rules they agreed to be bound by... :popcorn: But... I realize that what you're probably saying is that some instructors tend to take the already lax and simplistic standards and, being progressive and forward thinking in their views... tend to get a bit ahead of the agencies curve...

My original NAUI card display the name of the instructor that Certified me

SuSexFulDiver:
My main point is, if divers know they will be going down to 100' or more, wouldnt it be a good idea they both take pony bottles, just incase something like a huge shark distracts them or helping someone else distracts them from the air in thier tanks?

Yeah you you're right. I think that it should be mandatory to dive triples with 6 regs. Maybe even carry a compressor on your back just in case you see a giant squid or bigfoot down there. Forget a pony. Take a thoroughbred too. Hey you never know.... :hm:

SuSexFulDiver:

That is a bandaid solution to a problem that should have been prevented with better diver awareness.

Diver Dennis:
My cards have the name of the instructor as well as the agency. Especially in Tech, being trained by a well known instructor makes things run smoother when you go to other places to dive. YMMV

Good point about instructors. Not only on the cards, but every one of my OW and AOW checkout dives had to be recorded in my log book and signed by the instructor. And the dive op keeps a file on every diver certified.

However, before we bash the instructor...I'm the director at a safety training academy and we see it all the time. We teach a student the safe way to do something but he or she will just go out and do it "their way." Those folks end up on a Workers Comp claim every time.

Maybe these divers referenced on this post had adequate training but just ignored it. A first person account of improper training is one thing, that's imperical evidence. But too often I see SB'ers bash an agency or instructor after observing divers like these without considering...maybe they got good training but just aren't using it. Happens in my business all the time.

Back
Top Bottom