Regulators for Tech Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the few regulators that I have never ever seen free flow in cold water.....

Prefer the side exhaust - easy to fill lift bags and DSMBs with even taking the reg out of your mouth......

If there is a first stage failure or IP creep, the second stage has a relief valve on the hose so it is still easy the breath off of, vice massive second stage bubbling from the mouth piece......

No adjustments, just breath it....KISS principle......

Looks great.....and is not Apex, SP, AL or Atomic.......I like the uniqueness.....:D

It does have issues......powerful purge which can surprise you......

Since it uses tank pressure to seal the valve, if you go OOA the tank will depressurize, which is bad.....just make sure you keep 200-300 psi in the tank (you should anyway)

The biggest points for me were cold water ruggedness and side exhaust.......

Just my thoughts.....M

I have seen at least 2 cases of posidon free flowing here in Quebec. The temperature of the water was 37F and the temp outside was about 0F. I don not know if it was poor handling or regulator malfunctions or design issue.

Also posidons are upstream valve design and they stop delivering air if they malfunction instead of opening and leaking air.

They are also more difficult to service and the service at least here costs 2-2.5 times ad much as the service of either SP or apeks

This becomes a difficult topic....

I have a SP MK25/550 reg that free flowed on me in 38 degree water.....others have them and dive them in even colder water without issue.....

As far a service cost I don't see that here with LDS.....

Just my thoughts.....M

Last edited:
Yeah here you can sometimes buy Poseidons quite cheap as people do not want to service them for that price - I think it costs around 130-150 CAD to service the reg (50 for SP or Apeks)

Last edited:
Also posidons are upstream valve design and they stop delivering air if they malfunction instead of opening and leaking air.

I dont think a regulator design that stops air is better than a design that free flows. In a real bad situation, you can feather the tank valve.

Based on the pictures I saw, it appeared the first stage was not sealed - Can someone confirm?

Dwayne

They are also more difficult to service and the service at least here costs 2-2.5 times ad much as the service of either SP or apeks

Not all Poseidons are upstream valve, but I don't know enough about them to say for certain which ones are. Cyklons are I think, other Poseidon regs aren't.

Servicing does cost more though, and they do need to be dismantled carefully.

@ the OP: The Apeks and SP regs you have identified will give pretty much the same performance. I would recommend Apeks DS4/ATX40s, just because they are considerably cheaper than SP, and do not require any special tools to dismantle. All the Apeks first stages are identical internally and the cracking resistance knob is the only difference between the 40s and 50/100/200 second stages. There is no such thing as a high end Apeks reg, just more expensive ones. The Tek3s route nicely on twins but are crap if you want to use one on a single tank, and are much more expensive than the DS4.

Get DIN fittings. Carry an allen key to remove the insert from the valve if it has one, get an adapter for the times the valve doesn't have an insert.

Ahh, crap. I've just seen the date on the original post :(

Ahh, crap. I've just seen the date on the original post :(

No worries, man. I read the entire thread and your comment was very useful to me. Apeks are virtually non-existent here in the southwestern US, but I know lots of divers in Europe use them, so it was great to learn how they compare to the ScubaPros.

Thanks! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom