Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure that if you buy online it is from a factory authorized outlet. If not the manufacturer will not honor the warranty. One way to check is go to the manufacturer website and type the zip code for the online outlet into the dealer location list. If you don't see the online dealer then the warranty will probably not be valid. If you buy a reg from an authorized dealer then generally all regular maintenance parts are free for x years for the original owner.

Last edited:
In the UK, it is the retailer that is responsible for warranties. They will ultimately return faulty equipment to the manufacturer, but the consumer is protected by law that requires the retailer to resolve any defects with any merchandise they sell. It is nigh on impossible for anybody other than authorised retailers to get hold of kit anyway.

I'm drawn to the scuba pro mk25 just because it looks the bussiness, and is one of the most expensive so it must be good right??

I've never really considered what my gear looks like when making a purchase decision. (Though if I knew what it meant to "look the business" I might.)

But seriously, a new diver has the same regulator needs as a very experienced dive... a reg that reliably delivers breathing gas at depth.

When you say "coldish" how cold do you mean? I dive Aqualung Legend LX Supreme regs, which are the cold-water version of the Legend LX. I've had them in water as cold as 38F/3.5C and never had them freeze up. The breathe easy as deep as 200fsw (deepest I've had them), right side up, upside down, whatever. To be honest... I don't even take that good care of them and have never had a problem with them in nearly 1,000 dives. I also like the port configuration and low-profile first-stage in both single and doubles set-ups.

PS - they really look the business, too!

Aqua-Lung-Legend-LX-Supreme-DIN-Regulator-Big-1.jpg

I'm a relatively new diver just about to qualify ow and then do aow.
I have purchased all of my own gear with just two things left (regulator and drysuit)

I have been saving my pennies and I'm in the market for a brand new reg, looking on the internet shops like scuba wear house and deep blue dive there is lots to choose from. I'm drawn to the scuba pro mk25 just because it looks the bussiness, and is one of the most expensive so it must be good right?? What is the best reg for newish divers in coldish water??

Thank you :)

Rocky

Rocky

I've used SP regs (mostly) now for about 20 years. I have had very good luck with them. Sherwood regs (sealed first stages) were more trouble free, but people say the performance is worse. I ONLY buy and use old, previously owned SP regs. I think new ones are WAY over priced and I will probably never buy a new one.

If I was buying new, I would buy something else.

I think you are better off buying a decent used one, having it serviced and spend your money on diving, not dive gear.

Rjp, when I say coldish I mean uk waters, around 16c or 63f Deffo not ice diving,
I'm torn now between the aqua lung legend and the apeks atx40

The apeks has been advised by about 15 divers on uk diving forum

The aqua lung legend is way more expensive nearly £250 but absolutely looks the buis :wink:
I think the new one is the glasia
9fba4bb4942926208f6683a7d69a8c7c.jpg

I have an aqua lung balance bcd/wing which feels really good quality and keeps my trim nice n level along with my peers

And aqualung spiro arctic regs (2nd hand)
Which need a service but perform well in the pool
On the whole I think aqualung are a great brand

Rocky

---------- Post added October 31st, 2014 at 06:59 AM ----------

I've used SP regs (mostly) now for about 20 years. I have had very good luck with them. Sherwood regs (sealed first stages) were more trouble free, but people say the performance is worse. I ONLY buy and use old, previously owned SP regs. I think new ones are WAY over priced and I will probably never buy a new one.

If I was buying new, I would buy something else.

I think you are better off buying a decent used one, having it serviced and spend your money on diving, not dive gear.

I've purchased 2nd hand regs (aqua lung spiro arctic )

I need to pay £150 to get them serviced properly

I thought for that money I may aswell get new regs, and use the arctic as back up?

Rocky

---------- Post added October 31st, 2014 at 07:03 AM ----------

One is none and two is one :)

Rocky

As I said over on TDF: ATX40x2 and a ds4 first stage. Bulletproof, easy to get serviced, and cheap as chips

Rjp, when I say coldish I mean uk waters, around 16c or 63f Deffo not ice diving,
I'm torn now between the aqua lung legend and the apeks atx40

The apeks has been advised by about 15 divers on uk diving forum

Remember, the temperature in UK waters may be 16 degrees C around the surface, and pretty much the same at the bottom in sites like Capernwray, but if you go to Dorothea, there is a very noticeable drop in temperature and it can be as low as 6 degrees, even in summer.

I was in Vobster Quay last year on my CCR course and on the surface in my drysuit, I was sweating like a fat lass in a disco. When I was in the water, it felt tropical (although that was in a drysuit). I was wearing my thinnest gloves at first, but when we ventured deeper, my fingers were almost dropping off because it was that cold.

You sound like you're pretty keen, and judging by the investment you have made already, I imagine you will want to dive all year round to get your money's worth. Good cold water regs are essential for the UK diver, and the Apeks regs are just the ticket. I have seen your post on TDF, and the consensus of opinion is Apeks for a reason.

b0e571d54ec9ce3f4ccce36285724e84.jpg

Purchased::
Thanks everyone for advice :)

Rocky

The Apeks regs are perfectly usable in cold water: +4c and +2c.
They are easy to service, too.
I haven't owned any other regs.
There may be other good regs (like Poseidon; hard to service). Scubapro is also a good brand, but I've not used them.

The difference between DS4 and DST is hose routing. DST has a rotating turret and is thus slightly more flexible. Both can be used, however. The number of DS4s I own is increasing.

A drysuit is a piece of clothing. It must fit you. You need to try it on. You need to be able to kneel down and you must be able to touch your back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom