Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rjp, when I say coldish I mean uk waters, around 16c or 63f Deffo not ice diving,
I'm torn now between the aqua lung legend and the apeks atx40

The apeks has been advised by about 15 divers on uk diving forum

16C? Any water you don't need to cut a HOLE in is warm...

icediver.jpg

Living the dream rjp ,,literally :)

Rocky

I'll be the guy to wave the HOG banner :).

You can buy a cold water D1 w/ 1st stage, 2nd stage, 5-th port, and hose for $200. You simply can't beat that. I've used Apeks, Atomic, Mares, and Scubapro and the best breathers of the bunch for me were Atomic and HOG (indistinguishable underwater). I've had them to 170', in 38F water, with a dense gas, and they perform great. Service kits are cheap too.

Best of luck.

I hear a lot of good things about HOG, and no doubt it's well deserved. The trouble is I have never seen any for sale in the UK, so spares and servicing would be an issue here.

Just a few things about regulators. You need environmentally sealed regulators for conditions where the water can be dirty and potentially enter or affect the first stage like silt in the water or if the water is cold enough to freeze. At 60 degree water you don't have to worry about ice formation.

Most entry level regulators are more than adequate for recreational diving. Some of the more expensive features are due to the addition of different types of metals used in either the first or second stages. Mares has one that is made of carbon fiber as well, looks great but is very expensive. In particular the more titanium used the more corrosion resistant and lighter the regulator but the more expensive it becomes as well.

I'm not very familiar with Scubapro but have a preference for Atomic regulators since that's what my LDS offers and that is what I dive. The difference in models and cost is in the metals used for the first and second stages. The Z3 is their entry level regulator and uses marine grade brass. Their top of the line T3 is all titanium but is almost $800 more expensive. But there actually is no difference in the breathing characteristics between the Z3 or the T3. They breath the same under water. But the T3 is significantly lighter when packing, and if in a perfect world where cost isn't an issue then you'd opt for the T3.

I've never been a big person on the more expensive the product the better the product. If you are a bargain hunter then the excitement of finding bargains is to find an item that rivals and identical but more expensive item at a better price. I almost used the word "cheap" but less expensive doesn't always mean a decrease in quality. Sometimes the opposite is true, you can find a better quality product at lower prices if you look hard enough and do your homework.

In the end regulators and brands are personal choices. Buy what you like and what you can afford. The only significant piece of advice I would give is that make sure if you buy online that your local LDS can service that brand or be prepared to ship the regulator back to a manufacturer approved shop to have it serviced.

I believe Apeks is still being made in Blackburn so any services shouldn't be too much of a problem in UK.

I hear a lot of good things about HOG, and no doubt it's well deserved. The trouble is I have never seen any for sale in the UK, so spares and servicing would be an issue here.

They are available online at several stores. And TDI has a class you can take to learn to service them yourself which I particularly like, though it's not everyone's cup of tea.

---------- Post added November 1st, 2014 at 11:49 AM ----------

I've purchased a 7mm semi dry but I can't say I like it (it's almost impossible to don n doff)

I have a custom semi-dry and I wet it on the inside (with water :)) before putting it on. That way I just slide right in. If it's not wet, it's a huge pain. When I get out I do the same, dump a little water down the neck or sleeve and slide out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom