Reliable booking agent for local flights in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI, I was told by Garuda staff when I checked in at Singapore last month that they recently increased the baggage allowance in economy from 20 to 30kg. As a result, they stopped allowing extra weight for divers. True or not, I can not say, but I had to pay a whopping S$20/kg for Sg > Jakarta > Makassar. It would have also covered the Sorong portion had I known they started flying there.

ChillyinCanada

Contact Melysa Charlex, melysa@come2indonesia.com - she might be able to make reservations for you. Her fee is way less than $30/leg. I have no connection Melysa, but she has helped us and many of our friends. For my April trip, I arrive in Sorong, but depart from Ambon - so its a bit more challenging.

Good for you Hintermann! I'm quite envious. My domestic flight bookings were further complicated by not being able/allowed to book them until 30-45 days out (I disremember which). My direct flight to Sorong from Jakarta on Express was the only flight that went relatively smoothly and relatively on time. That leg alone cost me $279 US. I had 2 legs on the return (which was to Bali via Makassar) different airlines, each hours late. Further, had to pay $30 US to booking agent for EACH leg. The third flight was on Lion with an allowable of 15 kg. I was over of course, and so for a few dollars more, at the airport was able to purchase an upgrade to business class, where I sat alone amongst 12 other business seats. Unfortunately, they did not serve alcohol and I certainly could have used a drink by then. :)

FYI, I was told by Garuda staff when I checked in at Singapore last month that they recently increased the baggage allowance in economy from 20 to 30kg. As a result, they stopped allowing extra weight for divers. True or not, I can not say, but I had to pay a whopping S$20/kg for Sg > Jakarta > Makassar. It would have also covered the Sorong portion had I known they started flying there.
This may well be true. The PDF page that I mentioned is still on the web but not accessible from the official Garuda site. Garuda UK are checking for me.

In any case, this should not be a problem. My scuba gear bag weighs about 19Kg and if I place the strobes inside my hand luggage, the weight of my check-in personal items bag is around 12kg maximum. That means I'll have only a kilo of excess baggage which they may even wave past.

One thing Garuda UK were certain of is that as an international Garuda passenger, the airline will offer me the same luggage policy to be extended to the garuda domestic flights. This might be one way of taking passengers away from competing domestic airlines.

Garuda is in the midst of a major domestic flight expansion and its fantastic! I try to fly them as much as I can, so much better than the alternatives and I live here

I'm a long time lurker who has used this board to gain a lot of good information, so thanks to all of you posters.
In November, I used Nusatrip.com to book local Indonesian flights on Garuda, Merpati and Lion Air based on an earlier reference on this board. The documentation was clear and was recognized by each of the airlines when I checked in. It worked very well for me.
Good luck and have a great trip.
Bill

Contact Melysa Charlex ( ASIABLE INDONESIA - Indonesia Trusable Travel And Tourism Related Service ), see if there is much difference in price between you booking and them booking. Why? She will be contacted if there are any delays or cancellations enroute and she for sure will contact you....

We flew into Sorong for a LOB awhile back and before we got on the boat Melysa had not only contacted us about a cancelled return flight connection but she had already booked a very suitable alternative and asked if we wanted it. Way better than stepping up to the ticket counter after a fantastic dive trip (and it will be!) then seeing that your flight is cancelled and you now have very little time to "fix" it to get home. Unless their charges would be well above what you can book for (I doubt they will be) you might at least give them a yell. Consider it peace of mind insurance.
// ww

Warmwater Wank, I'm glad you liked and appreciated Melysa's service. I always steer my groups' divers to her since the company first started. She has saved the day for "my" divers several times! Very cheap insurance. I've found her prices lower than other agencies. Melysa is the wife of my very special cruise director (the one I hire to work all my trips) so I am somewhat biased!

For the benefits of everyone, I'd just like to input some more clarity into Garuda excess baggage policy, some statements made above are not exact. Garuda staff does not always know their company policy, I've often had to remind the checkin staff the sport baggage policy.

There is a special regulation paragraph regarding scuba diving equipment, which can be considered as allowed checkin baggage for one piece of sport equipment of max 23kgs is ON TOP of regular allowance.
I repeat this is ON TOP.

Extract of Garuda baggage policy (I cannot give an internet link, this is a document titled SUBSS/9007/VII/13 sent to Garuda professional partners on Nov.2013, the policy hasn't changed since)

2.3. Special Regulation

Diving equipment
a. Scuba Tank
a.1. International
a.2. Domestic
b. Other Diving
Equipment
b.1. International
b.2. Domestic

NORMAL BAGGAGE : < 23 kg
Dim : 158 cm (62 inch)l+w+h

EXCESS BAGGAGE >23 kg
Max 32 kg

for >32 kg (please Call GA Cargo)

Regulations
1. All sporting Equipments, including but not limited to Golfing, Surf Board, Biycle and Skiing
equipments may be included into applicable passengers Free Baggage Allowance/FBA according
to their actual fare paid.
Example :
If passenger brings 30 kg of sport equipment route JKT –SIN in economy class , the excess of
special baggage 7 kg can be compensated to his/her free baggage allowance as long as the free
baggage allowance comply with his/her right, in this cas 20 kg.

Back
Top Bottom