Relieving your housing main oring once installed??what do you use??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring removal tool

ss-0192.jpg

Standard ole credit card---or most recently a plastic card that came with my FIX housing (& it's tub of grease)....

I'm like JamesK. I just push the o-ring together from two spots. It arches up and can easily be grasped and removed.

The same. This even works for the O rings in my strobes. For smaller orings in things like my tank night marker I use my handy sea and sea o ring tool. Seems a little strange that I do not need the s&s tool for any of my camera stuff...

Hi AllThanks for all your input. Some people where on the money others not so.I think I did not explain "relieving" enough. When I use the term relieving I mean once you have removed and cleaned your oring, once you have re-installed it to "relieve" is to run an object "obviously something smooth and non damaging" inbetween you r oring and the sealing surface of the housing where you just installed the oring, to make sure you have not rolled/twisted the oring during installation. I see how the term relieving could be confused with dissassembly of the housing ie removing the oring. Thanks again for all your input.

There are a couple of different housing O-rings that are commonly found. On my Patima housing for the Canon S95, there is no way i could remove the O-ring by squeezing with my fingers, however on an Ikelite (for eg), this method is easy and there's no need for a creditcard technique.

My O-ring retains a fairly rectangular shape and fits snugly in, with little or no give. An Ikelite I have used in a shop stretched like a rubber band- it was that elastic.

However simply 'massaging' the O-ring with fingers seemed to settle any kinks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom