Rent or own?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverToBe:
tank/BC/Computer(If what I gather is that a computer is what measures your depth, etc)?

I'll clearify this...

A computer will do some really great things, even the "cheap" ones. In the beginning I started out with a cheapish Wally-World watch rated to 150ft, to give you an idea at $30 a pop I went through 4 of them in a short time (flooding). I used different brands and went to different stores to get them. At that point the max I ever went was 80-100ft. So, after a few watches I realized it was time for a computer.

A computer will measure water temp, ascent rate, bottom time, NDL time, safety stop time, plus a few other things. The ascent rate monitor is great because if you come up a little too quick it knows that and adjusts your deco stop time and deco stop depth. For the NDL monitoring it will track your dive as a true multilevel dive, instead of basing on your deepest depth. There are some computers that also monitor tank pressure, and adjust your NDL based on how much air you have left. Also, nearly every computer on the market will also support Nitrox and will monitor your Oxygen Tox levels

Oh on an air dive the computer will also monitor your Nitrogen loading.

Have your own mask, fins, boots and snorkel which are not usually rented. Then personal protective gear. Wetsuit, hood and gloves. They'll fit you and when your warm and protected it makes for a nice dive.

Then as income allows shop the rest.

With all due respect, Keep in mind that this equipment is your life support. If you plan to only make a single dive trip each year then your skills are going to be rusty and you will be at a higher risk in my opinion. This is all the more reason to own your own gear and keep it perfectly maintained to minimize failure.
You are'nt going to forget how to dive but you will not have the continuous in water time with which you can refine and perfect your skills and keep them sharp. When an emergency occurs, experience counts for a lot.
In my opinion, buy your gear, know it inside and out and this way, you are'nt having to re-learn gear as well as re-hone your skills with each outing. This will keep you safer.

Normally, I am the devil's advocate for gear purchase, BUT if you're only going to be on a couple of dives per year it's going to be cheaper in the long run for you to rent. Be sure you own your basics (mask, snorkel, fins, booties). Your rental fees may wind up being the equivalent to annual maintenance fees depending on where you rent.

Gombessa:
Hi all,

I just received my OW cert in December. I'm planning my first dive trip for April, but I'm not actively planning more than 1-2 dives per year. Here's my Q:

I am sorry, I didn't read all the posts. But if you meant 1-2 dive trips a year, totalling 10 dives or more, I can see you might maintain skills needed to safely dive.

But diving only 1 to 2 days a year will mean your skills might be marginal, and you might be extremely careful about where and how you dive.

I have a hard time renting gear that my life depends on... with the exception of tanks, which are inspected and have all the relevant info stamped on the side so I can be somewhat assured they have been properly maintained. Even then, check the o-rings.

Then there's always the satisfaction of with your own gear, you know where everything is... just makes for a safer dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom