Renting a car in Playa Del Carmen???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrisp

Registered
Reaction score
I'm heading to Coz real soon and want to take a trip over to the mainland to see some ruins and possibly dive some cenotes. If I take the ferry over to Playa Del Carmen, are there any car rental places at the ferry pier? Most of the ones I have found on Travelocity (etc.) seem to be quite a ways away from the pier. Is that the case or are any within walking distance (with gear)? Is it easy to get a taxi at the ferry pier or are there real long lines when a full ferry arives?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

chrisp:
I'm heading to Coz real soon and want to take a trip over to the mainland to see some ruins and possibly dive some cenotes. If I take the ferry over to Playa Del Carmen, are there any car rental places at the ferry pier? Most of the ones I have found on Travelocity (etc.) seem to be quite a ways away from the pier. Is that the case or are any within walking distance (with gear)? Is it easy to get a taxi at the ferry pier or are there real long lines when a full ferry arives?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There are several rental car places really close to the ferry pier, within a block or two. The closest a taxi can get to the pier is about three blocks; everything closer is pedestrian only.

There are rental desks right by the pier, but the cars lots are about a mile away.

We actually did the rental in Cozumel and then picked up in Playa del Carmen. We did that with Hertz, since we are Gold members. But we definitely didn't get Gold member treatment when we went to pick up. The agency in Playa del Carmen didn't like the rates we had been quoted in Cozumel and therefore tried to switch everything on us. We eventually got what we reserved, but it took us being persistent.

I don't know if your in to a real adventure, but there are some places in town that will rent you a motocicleta (motorcycle). I did that once and had a blast going down to the ruins. i did stay on the main highway for safety though. Cash talks, and in a few minutes I was on my way. Just a few blocks from the ferry but I don't remember the name.

jscott099:
I don't know if your in to a real adventure, but there are some places in town that will rent you a motocicleta (motorcycle). I did that once and had a blast going down to the ruins. i did stay on the main highway for safety though. Cash talks, and in a few minutes I was on my way. Just a few blocks from the ferry but I don't remember the name.

But DO NOT do this if you are not very experienced at driving a motorcycle. Even on the main highway the rules of the road are very different in Mexico, and things can go pear shaped in a hurry. I have been in some scary situations on that road, and I was riding in a car.

I have rented twice in Playa. Once with Hertz and it took over an hour to get a car. The second (and don't make this mistake) was some fast talking time share salesman who will offer you a car if you sit through their presentation. Don't do this!!!

love2fishfork:
...some fast talking time share salesman who will offer you a car if you sit through their presentation. Don't do this!!!

Rookie mistake! ;^)

ggunn:
Rookie mistake! ;^)

Just remember if it sounds too good to be true - must be a timeshare salesman. :mooner:

Actually, I was wondering how to get from Playa del Carmen to the club med. A few days in COz for me and then a week or so at the club med for my teen.
I am guessing that I can take a cab... Any ideas welcome.
I thought that by going to Coz first I can get some dives in- doing it the other way I have the 24 hours of downtime.
Not to mention that I'd like to see who I can work with scuba wise in Cancun...

Have rented many cars in Playa from different agencies. Executive (near the Playa airport) has always been the best deal and best service. Once, our rental car over heated about 15 miles south of Playa. We pulled over and made a phone call back to the office and the car was replaced within 20 minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom