Repairing SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3m Marine 5200. Makes its own patch. Aquaseal seems to start peeling over time. West Marine, walmart has their own flavor of this as well (Attwood). This stuff is far better than aquaseal. You just put it in the hole or even a tear and it holds. Here is a Wally World link with these products.

marine sealant - Walmart.com

I'll just get a new SMB, but I'll still try to fix the old one. If I fail, at least I'll learn how to not fix it :wink:
As mentioned, heating stuff up won't automatically put it back the way it was, but with some caution and patience it might do the trick with the right materials.

The slick side of the nylon is generally a heat sensitive glue. If a seam comes loose you can re-glue it using a hot iron. I make my own bladders (most notably my primary wing) and have found 375-400 F for about 5 - 10 seconds works best. As for repairing holes: it is best if you can get to the inside. Pressure helps keep the seal and there is little rubbing to peel the patch. Big holes lend themselves to this type of repair (or open bottom bags - just turn them inside out). Outside repair works well with a small hole. It is just like repairing a nylon air mattress or even a drysuit. You might pick up a ThermaRest mattress repair kit. Prepping the surface to be glued is the most important part.

Perfection is not in the cosmetics, it is in the reliable function.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom