Repairs possible for way off white balance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great! Now, how did you do it??

Tweaking the selective color options one by one until it looks the way you want it.

Not to derail, but what is Noise Ninja?

Bad

<photo snipped>

Real Bad

<second photo snipped>

Goodie! Play time!

Here are a couple of attempts. Unfortunately, since I wasn't there I don't know what the true colors are - so they may be a bit off:

Photo%201.png

Photo%202.png

The first was relatively easy using Paintshop Pro 8 - look for a grey world balance option in your color adjustment tools.

The second was more challenging because of the distance between the two portions of the picture - the lower area (farther away) lost more of the color differentiation than the upper foreground. I treated them separately using my channel mixer color adjustment tool.

I did a fade correction (get rid of the water haze) on both (another color adjustment tool).

(If you want either of these back full size, PM me and I will e-mail them to you - I just shrank them so they would fit on the screen.)

Goodie! Play time!

Here are a couple of attempts. Unfortunately, since I wasn't there I don't know what the true colors are - so they may be a bit off:

Photo%201.png

Photo%202.png

:11: Wow, that's incredible. :11:

You have serious Paintshop skills.

:11: Wow, that's incredible. :11:

You have serious Paintshop skills.

Thanks - its my way of escaping from reality (when I can't escape underwater :D )

If I'd been serious about fixing the photos I would have taken care of the backscatter in the first and done a better job with the border between the foreground and background in the second - this was just a quick hack for color correction.

1. Set Levels for each band.
2. Set Color Balance for shadows/mid/highlights.
3. Set Hue-Saturation -- mainly decrease cyan saturation and increase luminosity.
[optional]
4. Set Curves to increase/decrease contrast.
5. Final adjust brightness.

There's no question that the flash fired - making correction of the foreground the "fly in the ointment".

IMG_1014Ba_small.jpg

Thanks - its my way of escaping from reality (when I can't escape underwater :D )

If I'd been serious about fixing the photos I would have taken care of the backscatter in the first and done a better job with the border between the foreground and background in the second - this was just a quick hack for color correction.

NancyLynn,

You are MY HERO!! :D

The second pic (with the barracuda) I thought could NEVER look like that! I have a couple hundred shots that I would like to correct to that level. Do you know anything about Photoshop Elements (that's what I have) or does just Paintshop Pro have this capability?

How did you correct the color of the sand? That came out just right! And the color of the barracuda is awesome!

Please, NancyLynn, help me MORE!!

NancyLynn,

You are MY HERO!! :D

The second pic (with the barracuda) I thought could NEVER look like that! I have a couple hundred shots that I would like to correct to that level. Do you know anything about Photoshop Elements (that's what I have) or does just Paintshop Pro have this capability?

How did you correct the color of the sand? That came out just right! And the color of the barracuda is awesome!

Please, NancyLynn, help me MORE!!

I don't have any experience with Photoshop Elements - but I may have access to a copy. Similar tools should be available. I'll let you know later tonight.

I don't have any experience with Photoshop Elements - but I may have access to a copy. Similar tools should be available. I'll let you know later tonight.

If you can get Elements 2.0, that's what I have. If not, I will get the PSP although I can't seem to find version 8 around, it seems that it has become XI or something like that.

In any event I would love to learn the workflow to do what you did, as it is absolutely great!!

Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom