Replaced my own drysuit zipper FINALLY....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My DUI CF200 is a crushed neoprene front entry drysuit. When working with a material that stretches it makes the job much harder. My drysuit also wanted to peel the neoprene layers instead of just being able to heat and peel the old zipper off. It took a very long time to remove the old zipper extremely carefully. I then used MEK to strip much of the old glue off as it was bubbled underneath the layers. Much of the work needed would have been a breeze on a newer suit let alone a TLS350 or similar Tri-lam.

FWIW a clothes iron works better than a heat gun for softening the glue both for removal and installation.

Thanks for clarifying my brain fart!

Excellent tip about the iron! I hadn't thought of that.

Could the old glue have been removed or smoothed with grinding instead of with solvent?

Dave C

Could the old glue have been removed or smoothed with grinding instead of with solvent?

Dave C

Solvent is risk free and does a great job of softening the old glue so the new glue can bond to it better. There is no need to remove all of the glue, as it can bond quite well to a base layer. To use a grinder right at surface level would be considered high risk. I have used a mini air grinder to wire brush stuff in the past, but it is not something I would do on neoprene. I did everything I could to preserve the suit integrity.

I've replaced the zipper on my DUI 50/50 a couple of times now, and found a dremmel tool with sanding wheel a lot easier at removing old glue and aquaseal. You just have to be careful not to get into the material. When I do it again I think I'll try the iron too - that sounds like a good idea and it might be a little faster.

I also went to a local upholstery shop and had them do a single line of stitching on the zipper after I glued it in - just in case:D It was so easy and the guy was so interested in what I was doing that he wouldn't take any money.

If it helps, the second time I replaced the zipper (or seals for that matter) it was a LOT easier and faster. All the learning is on that first try.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom