Replacement BC corrugated hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

16" Corrugated Hose - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

Don't need one from Zeagle. 16" is likely too long, no need for one quite that long on most bc's, may want to look at one a few inches shorter to streamline. The inflator should be right where your fist is when you bend your elbow up to your left pec, so right above the nipple line. no reason for one any longer than that.

To clarify, I'm replacing a 13 inch hose of the DSS wing as I found it too short. Yes it's long enough to dive fine, but I can't see the power inflator-hose interface to be able to troubleshoot problems under water.

I also replaced the Dive Rite power inflator that came with the rig, with the Zeagle BX inflator, which is why I want a Zeagle hose. Not all corrugated hoses work. I bought one made by OMS from Scubatoys and no it does not work. The Dive Rite corrugated hose works, but it's very wide and rubs against the metal fittings. I have a feeling the one sold by Northeast Scuba Supply is the Dive Rite.

To clarify, I'm replacing a 13 inch hose of the DSS wing as I found it too short. Yes it's long enough to dive fine, but I can't see the power inflator-hose interface to be able to troubleshoot problems under water.

I also replaced the Dive Rite power inflator that came with the rig, with the Zeagle BX inflator, which is why I want a Zeagle hose. Not all corrugated hoses work. I bought one made by OMS from Scubatoys and no it does not work. The Dive Rite corrugated hose works, but it's very wide and rubs against the metal fittings. I have a feeling the one sold by Northeast Scuba Supply is the Dive Rite.

If you go ahead and add a pull-dump and an Air2, Tobin will probably just recall your wing.:rofl3:

Thanks. Tobin is a good guy and makes some nice products but he's rather fixed in his ideas. The knife that comes with his rig is another weird thing. It's hard to pull out and it's easy for it to slip out and be lost.

Personally I wouldn't want an inflator that unscrews for fear of failure. The one that comes with the wing is going to be the safest bet.

You are not the first person to modify DSS products, but most people dive them just fine as they come from the supplier. Have you put your gear together, put it on, then take a side photo and asked for help on setup and use? It wouldn't cost anything, and you may find just the answers you need.

The knife that comes with his rig is another weird thing. It's hard to pull out and it's easy for it to slip out and be lost.
Which one is it? Is it hard to pull out, or easy to loose?

The knife works well for most situations. It cuts thru most stuff you will encounter underwater with ease. Has a blunt tip so you don't damage anything like yourself or an exposure suit. If you do loose it well *shrugs* it is just a cut off steak knife. You should be carrying a second cutting device in case you drop the first one. I prefer shears, and others like things like the Trilobite. In hundreds of dives I have only lost one knife, and I think it got lost pulling my kit over the side of the boat tubes.

Personally I wouldn't want an inflator that unscrews for fear of failure. The one that comes with the wing is going to be the safest bet.

You are not the first person to modify DSS products, but most people dive them just fine as they come from the supplier. Have you put your gear together, put it on, then take a side photo and asked for help on setup and use? It wouldn't cost anything, and you may find just the answers you need.

Which one is it? Is it hard to pull out, or easy to loose?

The knife works well for most situations. It cuts thru most stuff you will encounter underwater with ease. Has a blunt tip so you don't damage anything like yourself or an exposure suit. If you do loose it well *shrugs* it is just a cut off steak knife. You should be carrying a second cutting device in case you drop the first one. I prefer shears, and others like things like the Trilobite. In hundreds of dives I have only lost one knife, and I think it got lost pulling my kit over the side of the boat tubes.

Thanks Peter. I dove with my DSS rig several times now and I dive with a couple of GUE trained guys. I guess you're referring to the BX inflator when can be unscrewed for flushing. I've used Zeagle BCs with the BX for years and never had an issue, and just looking at the design it looks pretty solid. This fear is a bit like the fear of the plastic buckles failing -- a theoretical risk with no basis in the real world. Most people dive with them and you don't hear or read of such failures. If it does it's extremely rare. There are many parts on the wing that can fail as well.

The reason I'm extending the length is this: in one of my dives the connection from the inflator hose to the power inflator was not engaged fully and I could not inflate the BC. When I tried to troubleshoot the problem I had no view of the area because it was sitting high beyond my field of vision. I want to bring that area down 3 inches into my field of vision so if something goes wrong I can see what's going on.

For someone concerned about failure points, Tobin's knife is held by friction with no active lock and I would be worried that it could slip out as the nylon sheath stretches in time. But my issue is with the small smooth handle. It's a modified kitchen knife made to be handled with bare hand. I'll change over to a Wenoka small blunt end knife that locks into its sheath and attaches to the inflator hose upside down.

This fear is a bit like the fear of the plastic buckles failing -- a theoretical risk with no basis in the real world. Most people dive with them and you don't hear or read of such failures. If it does it's extremely rare. There are many parts on the wing that can fail as well.
I have had many plastic buckles fail, and most weight belts we find have plastic buckles so there is a correlation. Less failure points, lessens the possibly of a failure as I am sure we both agree on.

The reason I'm extending the length is this: in one of my dives the connection from the inflator hose to the power inflator was not engaged fully and I could not inflate the BC. When I tried to troubleshoot the problem I had no view of the area because it was sitting high beyond my field of vision. I want to bring that area down 3 inches into my field of vision so if something goes wrong I can see what's going on.
Does the current inflator fit into your mouth? Having a disconnected BC should not be a big deal as you can orally inflate, and infact should practice orally inflating fairly routinely, especially at the surface. We had someone die recently in Monterey from not dumping their weights and not orally inflating when they were OOA at the surface.

Please share a photo of how you have it setup, and maybe the nice folks of Scubaboard can offer some good advice to help you :)

For someone concerned about failure points, Tobin's knife is held by friction with no active lock and I would be worried that it could slip out as the nylon sheath stretches in time. But my issue is with the small smooth handle. It's a modified kitchen knife made to be handled with bare hand. I'll change over to a Wenoka small blunt end knife that locks into its sheath and attaches to the inflator hose upside down.
I won a really nice Mares knife with a locking sheath. It was a nice blunt tip, so I mounted it to my auto inflate lifejacket upright so it wouldn't fall out. A couple of weeks ago I went sailing on my buddies boat, leaned over the stern and somehow depressed the lever. I watched the knife fall into the San Francisco Bay :( If it had been one of Tobin's knives I would still be in possession of it, due to the friction. There are good features and bad features to everything. A locking sheath upside down is NOT a good feature. The Hogarthian cut off steak knife has been found to function better than other knives in more non hunting scuba situations, although questionably arguable.

Back
Top Bottom