Replacement o-ring of higher durometer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ouch, almost $50 w/S&H. cost more than a replacement camera if it gets flooded.
Use the google to find a local industrial o ring / seal supplier. I use Able O Ring here in Toronto. Seal and Design, O-Ring, Gasket, Seals, PTFE, EMI, Thermal

These types of operations are used to providing "engineering samples" at no cost. But only if you know exactly what you want. Otherwise I have found that bringing in my housing with sample o rings that I can leave gives them a bit of entertainment from their normal world.

Be prepared to buy several dozen (or more) o rings. On my first trip with my Sea & Sea DX-1G housing I bought 400 hundred (approximately) push button o rings since they were $0.02 each. I also picked up a bunch of small o ring tools to round the official bill up to around $15.

My last trip was to get some o rings for several different nikonos bulkhead fittings. They asked if I was paying cash and I handled them a $20 for about 60 o rings of 5 different sizes.

I don't have an olympus o-ring to test but if it really is only 30 durometer that seems quite soft to me and I have no idea on how it was designed. My apple rubber guide shows compression forces for 52 and 72 durometer o-rings and the graph is quite flat at the low compression end (5-10%). If you need a lot of compression, like 20% then the force is more than 2x for 52 to 72 durometer and another 3 x for 90 durometer.
Bill

I did a whole bunch of dives with the oly housing using the 70 durometer o-ring w/no problem. Can't say the same with the panasonic housing for its P&S, which I brought it down and it flooded on my first dive on the trip. Its the 2nd time it flooded and ruining the camera, last time being in 2012. Maybe its the double o-ring of the olympic housing, but the panny and its single soft o-ring seems to be nothing but trouble. Will using a harder o-ring squeeze down harder and prevent leaks that otherwise would have happened on softer o-rings?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom