REPORT: Vets 11/13 Night Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LLKZ16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Date: 11/13/08
Dive Location: Vets
Buddy(ies): Angelique
Time: 9:06 pm.
Bottom Time: 1 hr 3 min
Max Depth: 73 fsw
Vis: 15 20
Wave height: 1- 2 picking up to 3 as we left the beach
Temp at depth: 55F
Surface Temp: 65F

Well, after 8 weeks, a major injury and a CRAZY work schedule, I finally found time to get back into the swing of things by visiting out local mud hole known as Veterans Park. The wind was calm and the surf looked pretty tame. We geared up and made our way to the middle steps. Reports for the day before sounded promising so I was looking forward to some critter hunting.

We kicked out to the end of the pier and noticed along the way that there was a large amount of bioluminescence in the water. This stuff is WAY COOL! We dropped down to find excellent vis. It got better as we reached the slope of the canyon but as we reached around 70 fsw, it began to get a little worse.

There was soooo much out that it was almost impossible to keep focused on one object at a time. After we hit our max depth we began working our way south and then slightly up the slope checking for critters in the salad bowl. As we reached the area around the bathrooms at 40-30 fsw we came across some ropes and followed them into the shallows.

Overall, it was a stunning dive!

Below are pictures of some of the things we ran across:

DironaPicta1111308.jpg

FFFace111308.jpg

Fringehead2111308.jpg

KelpCrab111308.jpg

Same guy from one shot to the next
OctoChange111308.jpg

Rockfish111308.jpg

Shark111308.jpg

Octo1111308.jpg

CaliforniaArmina1111308.jpg

FishFriends111308.jpg

SpanishShawl1111308.jpg

Pipefish111308.jpg

I need ID Help Here!!
IDNeeded111308.jpg

Great Shots! I've only dove Vets twice and there was barely anything out. Then again I wasn't there at night. If you mean the Angelique I think you do, you've got a good partner there. She was one of the safety divers during my certification dives and she taught me some things even my instructor didn't. Nice Report!

Awesome, thanks for the pics!

BTW, Frank, I bet there were things out there, but you probably swam right past them! I found a bunch of sand for the first few times I was out there....then I had some experienced friends take me out and I was like "Whoa! Apparently I was just moving too fast and didn't know where to look!" We'll have to get you out there for a night dive....those pics really represent what you'll see! :D

Both day and night (Mostly Night), there is a ton of stuff to see ay Vets. You need to slow down, take your time and look around for the critters that are hiding in their special places.

Knowing the topography helps too. The more you dive it the more you will get to know the lay of the land and you will be able to take more control of where you go and what you see.

You need to slow down, take your time and look around for the critters that are hiding in their special places. Knowing the topography helps too. The more you dive it the more you will get to know the lay of the land and you will be able to take more control of where you go and what you see.

BTW, Frank, I bet there were things out there, but you probably swam right past them! I found a bunch of sand for the first few times I was out there....then I had some experienced friends take me out and I was like "Whoa! Apparently I was just moving too fast and didn't know where to look!" We'll have to get you out there for a night dive....those pics really represent what you'll see! :D

Great Advice Guys! On my first dive at Vets my buddy was right beside a whole group of sea pens and didn't even notice them until I pointed them out. I've found on so many dives that if I slow down and linger for a moment I'll start notices things that otherwise would just be a blur. From beautiful nudi's to camouflaged greenlings, the reef becomes alive when you take the time to notice them. The next time I'm there I'll be sure to do so.

Back
Top Bottom