Required skills for Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The information in this thread is correct. You need to have been taught the emergency swimming accent, but it is the instructor's discretion as to what skills you must perform in open water.

Many SDI do not do require students to perform that skill in open water. I generally don't. You can go to tdi/sdi and talk with someone from HQ during chat. I'd also say that if you feel like you need more work on that skill and you shouldn't have been certified, a discussion with the shop would be prudent.
I have no issues with emergency skills, accents/descents and am apparently super relaxed and clam about things. 🤷‍♀️
I was more less concerned with navigation and was expecting at least a basic in-water skills learning with a compass, PDC or at least dive tables. I’m told by the local sdi dive DS they aren’t covered until the advance course. We briefly discussed dive tables, use of compass and PDC in an in classroom discussion setting but there is no in water learning of navigation, dive computer, compass or dive tables. I just thought we would be touching on it in water during the open water. Especially given the SSI/SDI route seem to highlight they are tech driven in learning. 🤷‍♀️

@Marie13 left linked the sdi open water outcomes in another comment and I’m copping the link to that here. Page 6/8 (#13 and #18) sounds like it’s suppose to be covered but maybe they just mean in the classroom and not in water?

https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/uploads/files/sandp/currentYear/SDI/part 2/pdf/individual/SDI Diver Standards_07_Open_Water_Scuba_Diver.pdf

I’ll contact HQ but am curious what kinda in water navigation skills were coverage in other peoples open water be it PADI, SDI or SSI

Attachments

• 451793E2-029F-42BE-91C6-A4D559ABA71F.jpeg
    451793E2-029F-42BE-91C6-A4D559ABA71F.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 36
I have no issues with emergency skills, accents/descents and am apparently super relaxed and clam about things. 🤷‍♀️
I was more less concerned with navigation and was expecting at least a basic in-water skills learning with a compass, PDC or at least dive tables. I’m told by the local sdi dive DS they aren’t covered until the advance course. We briefly discussed dive tables, use of compass and PDC in an in classroom discussion setting but there is no in water learning of navigation, dive computer, compass or dive tables. I just thought we would be touching on it in water during the open water. Especially given the SSI/SDI route seem to highlight they are tech driven in learning. 🤷‍♀️

@Marie13 left linked the sdi open water outcomes in another comment and I’m copping the link to that here. Page 6/8 (#13 and #18) sounds like it’s suppose to be covered but maybe they just mean in the classroom and not in water?

https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/uploads/files/sandp/currentYear/SDI/part 2/pdf/individual/SDI Diver Standards_07_Open_Water_Scuba_Diver.pdf

I’ll contact HQ but am curious what kinda in water navigation skills were coverage in other peoples open water be it PADI, SDI or SSI

If I'm understanding what you're saying, you did not use a pdc during your training. That would be a violation.

Is it a violation to fail to use a compass? I don't think so. If SDI wanted compass nav, the standard would spell that out.

As far as uw/nav goes, it might be better to start a new thread and ask there.

My opinion of the navigation required in PADI/most open water courses is that they're so basic as to be pointless.

There's a real art to using a non-electric compass that I've never seen mastered in ow. Personally, I'd much rather concentrate on having my students master the basics (nb/t, diving as a team, etc) and spending time there.

If I'm understanding what you're saying, you did not use a pdc during your training. That would be a violation.

Is it a violation to fail to use a compass? I don't think so. If SDI wanted compass nav, the standard would spell that out.

My opinion of the navigation required in PADI/most open water courses is that they're so basic as to be pointless.

There's a real art to using a non-electric compass that I've never seen mastered in ow. Personally, I'd much rather concentrate on having my students master the basics (nb/t, diving as a team, etc) and spending time there.

I think I got the answers I need and a direction to look for more answers. I’m also not concerned OW skills wise personally, so that’s good. I’m not in a situation where my education is left to just the OW class. My dive buddy dives by trade, use to instruct and every time the cylinders are out it’s a lesson. Oceanographers and marine scientists be like that 🤗😂 it’s seems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom