Rescue and release buckles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what the above responses should tell you, and an instructor should realize is that there's really no standard, and telling you that you're "wrong" doesn't fix the problem in the least (even if you change).

The solution is that if you’re trying to ditch the weight belt of a diver you’re unfamiliar with, you should spend an extra 3 seconds LOOKING at the weight belt and then do the right thing rather than [incorrectly] assuming that everyone is configured the same way. Because they ain't.

Roak

roakey:
So what the above responses should tell you, and an instructor should realize is that there's really no standard, and telling you that you're "wrong" doesn't fix the problem in the least (even if you change).

The solution is that if you’re trying to ditch the weight belt of a diver you’re unfamiliar with, you should spend an extra 3 seconds LOOKING at the weight belt and then do the right thing rather than [incorrectly] assuming that everyone is configured the same way. Because they ain't.

Roak

Great Response. My instructor said that one of the goals he wanted us to learn was to do exactly as Roak stated. THINK...THINK...THINK. Not just blindly do something because that's the way it is "suposed to be done".
He wanted us to have knowledge but stop and think.

I wasn't being a troll or anything. I was wanting to play devil's advocate and see what others came up with on the weight belt buckle thing.

I would love to hear from others as to tip's you've picked up about gear with safety in mind. Or other things that you look for before you dive, etc.

Jeremy

I don't think ditching weight is something you can count on. For example, I dive with a BP/W and 1 2 lb weight which is necessary at the end of the dive, but removing it wouldn't do much early in the dive. Other people may be wearing weights bolted to their backplates.

TheRedHead:
I don't think ditching weight is something you can count on. For example, I dive with a BP/W and 1 2 lb weight which is necessary at the end of the dive, but removing it wouldn't do much early in the dive. Other people may be wearing weights bolted to their backplates.

Right, When I'm not wearing my drysuit I don't have any ditchable weight on me either. Should I change my config for a "just in case"...I don't know yet. My rig is balanced and my weighting is right-on with my rig in a 3mil suit.

If I'm in trouble I sure hope that my rescuer takes 3 seconds, assess the situation and THINK before they act.

Jeremy

JKSteger:
Now you on the other hand dive a very ballanced rig with no ditchable weight (problem....?) when you reach him your trying to esablish positive buoyancy for both him and yourself but realise that you don't have enought lift for the both of you.

While you are reaching......a balanced rig does not mean you have 'just enough lift'. But that is a different discussion.

From the scenario above... In this particular case... connect the inflator and inflate to max (the diver is over weighted right?) use my buoyancy to get him up, hold on and then look to 'drop weight'. This can be weight belt, gas, other misc items, or even the tank if it has to be. If push really comes to shove... I may even get the person out of their rig alltogether. I dunno, whatever it takes?

The issue is not where/how the weight is configured/connected... the issue is to keep the diver with gas breathing.

JKSteger:
Right, When I'm not wearing my drysuit I don't have any ditchable weight on me either. Should I change my config for a "just in case"...I don't know yet. My rig is balanced and my weighting is right-on with my rig in a 3mil suit.

Why if you are neutrally bouyant? Positive bouyancy, to me, is the last resort, unless you are on the surface. I took SSI Stress and Rescue and more emphasis was placed on recognizing stress and self rescue before you become a victim in need of a rescue. Once you're unconcious underwater, the odds that you will survive become very slim.

Meng_Tze:
While you are reaching......a balanced rig does not mean you have 'just enough lift'. But that is a different discussion.

From the scenario above... In this particular case... connect the inflator and inflate to max (the diver is over weighted right?) use my buoyancy to get him up, hold on and then look to 'drop weight'. This can be weight belt, gas, other misc items, or even the tank if it has to be. If push really comes to shove... I may even get the person out of their rig alltogether. I dunno, whatever it takes?

The issue is not where/how the weight is configured/connected... the issue is to keep the diver with gas breathing.

I'll check the balanced part out, thanks.

I've never tried re-connecting the LP infator hose back to the power inflator. I will try it one day in a practice. This would be very difficult if the diver was paniced. At that point he has lost all rational thought and has since removed his regulator, doesn't respond to any instruction and is trying to grasp you and climb on top to get out of the water. This would make a fun challenging drill with my buddy enacting out a "paniced diver".

Jeremy

JKSteger:
This would be very difficult if the diver was paniced. At that point he has lost all rational thought and has since removed his regulator, doesn't respond to any instruction and is trying to grasp you and climb on top to get out of the water. This would make a fun challenging drill with my buddy enacting out a "paniced diver".

Are you talking about the surface? That would be the time to grab his valve and haul him to the boat. An interesting thread would be "when do divers spit out their regulators?" I would bet that it most often happens when they have a regulator problem (water) or have run out of air. Franky, if someone can't figure out that they need to connect their BC inflator (it's easy to do underwater) or orally infalte their BC, they shouldn't be diving at all. It's great that you are thinking about this, but I think the scenario of having a diver spit out their reg under water because of a bouyancy problem would be far fetched.

I tend to dive deep and the thought of a newly certified rescue diver releasing my weights and sending me to the surface scares the crap out of me. I don't want to get bent or have an embolism because someone mistakenly believes that dropping weights at depth is always a good thing.

TheRedHead:
Are you talking about the surface? That would be the time to grab his valve and haul him to the boat. An interesting thread would be "when do divers spit out their regulators?" I would bet that it most often happens when they have a regulator problem (water) or have run out of air. Franky, if someone can't figure out that they need to connect their BC inflator (it's easy to do underwater) or orally infalte their BC, they shouldn't be diving at all. It's great that you are thinking about this, but I think the scenario of having a diver spit out their reg under water because of a bouyancy problem would be far fetched.

I tend to dive deep and the thought of a newly certified rescue diver releasing my weights and sending me to the surface scares the crap out of me. I don't want to get bent or have an embolism because someone mistakenly believes that dropping weights at depth is always a good thing.

Yes, I am talking about at the surface. In the chain of events, this diver (dumb arse) was using new (unfamiliar) equipment that didn't fit him. Was extremely overweighted and forgot to connect the inflator hose to his BCD. He jumps in the water. He starts sinking. He then tries to inflate his bcd...doesn't work. Now he is kicking and fighting to just get to the surface. He just makes it and can only get his head out but to do this he has to keep fining as hard as he can. He spits out his regular and scream HELP, HELP. He starts to bobble in the water somewhat. He has now got somewhat choked on water and being a brand new OW diver (say 3 dives post OW cert.) Doesn't even think about "sweeping" for his regulator. All he know is that he can't find it. He is not getting much air, is fighting just to bobble his head up and catch a "wet breath". He has now paniced and is not following any instruction. He only wants OUT at this point. He has lost all rational thought.

That is the "setup".

*Note* I'm really having to stretch for this setup/senerio.

It's possible but higly improbable but I guess it could happen. This is one of thoes events that is compiled by bad descisions and poor judgement on part of this diver. Because the diver is panicked and I need to establish positive buoyancy I would try to release his weights (underwater) then come up from behind him and tow him in. I don't know if I could connect the BCD inflator hose up while the diver is fighting me and such.

Just some "food for thought"

Jeremy

JKSteger:
Yes, I am talking about at the surface. In the chain of events, this diver (dumb arse) was using new (unfamiliar) equipment that didn't fit him. Was extremely overweighted and forgot to connect the inflator hose to his BCD. He jumps in the water.

On the surface, go for the weights. He would be a lot more likely to spit the reg on the surface than under water. You can also grab their inflator hose from behind them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom