Rescue course... have manual, need the end of chapter tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was under the impression that there is a set period of time that the instructor is required to hold onto the tests for various reasons. The biggest I can imagine is that the instructor is not just using their ability to give away certs.

By requiring that the pages are kept, at the very least PADI/whoever gets the book sale, and the instructor has to at least give everyone answers and store them. Now there's liability on all sides of the equation.

Of course the instructor is required to keep the signed, original test pages. Each student signs each page to prove they have learned and understand the material presented in the course. This eliminates any claims against the instructor, since the student has signed off on each lesson.

That's not a requirement anymore. PADI instructors are not required to keep a copy of the OW Knowledge Reviews. The instructor must attest to having seen the completed KR and sign off. That's it. I do think they are required to keep a copy of the KR's for continuing education.

I xerox from my book, then do the knowedge review on the copy and turn that in.

My book stays clean that way and I can use it to review later for personal re-inforcement.

PADI Instructors have not needed to tear off and keep the knowledge reviews for quite some time now.(Over a year +) Just have students sign off the student record file.

Just checked my instructor manual (and i think it was 2yrs or more).
I have to sign the record to say i've verified and gone over the completed reviews. I dont have to keep them or keep a copy of them.

This change came in about the same time as the change saying everyone must own a manual for the reason of people in shared households etc are allowed to share books but needed the KRs.

It's not actually a copyright issue if your instructor, working for PADI, were to copy the book. PADI owns the copyright on the books, and as such is free to copy whatever parts it wishes to. There is no U.S. law that prevents PADI from copying knowledge reviews or tests to use with PADI students.

If you were to buy the book, copy the tests, then sell or give them away, that's a copyright violation, although copying parts for your own or a classmate's educational use may in fact fall under fair use; it depends on how big the parts are and what exactly is the use. If the use is solely to save a classmate some money you'd be on pretty shaky ground.

PADI has rules (not laws) about sharing materials and owning books for the simple reason that they want to sell books. Given the prices of these things (I just spent about $150 for two softcover books, a wheel, and some PADI propaganda for my DM class) I understand why. It's their organization, they can have whatever rules they want.

It's not actually a copyright issue if your instructor, working for PADI, were to copy the book. PADI owns the copyright on the books, and as such is free to copy whatever parts it wishes to. There is no U.S. law that prevents PADI from copying knowledge reviews or tests to use with PADI students.

If you were to buy the book, copy the tests, then sell or give them away, that's a copyright violation, although copying parts for your own or a classmate's educational use may in fact fall under fair use; it depends on how big the parts are and what exactly is the use. If the use is solely to save a classmate some money you'd be on pretty shaky ground.

PADI has rules (not laws) about sharing materials and owning books for the simple reason that they want to sell books. Given the prices of these things (I just spent about $150 for two softcover books, a wheel, and some PADI propaganda for my DM class) I understand why. It's their organization, they can have whatever rules they want.

HUH??? :confused: The instructors do not "work" for PADI, we just use their materials and procedures to teach - and if you photocopy anything for use, your personal or someone else's, it's a violation of the copyright laws. That was directly from someone (an examiner) who DOES work for PADI at their corporate office.....

While I could be wrong, I would be surprised if any PADI facility or instructor would allow you to use photocopied chapter quizzies. As as been previously stated, that is copy righted material and there is no "fair use" in your application. I realize that you hate to buy the books "just for the test", but that is what PADI does....they publish books for sale.

Phil Ellis

Come on now, join the club and Put Another Dollar In. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom