Rescue course this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mars2u - I can honestly say that it was probably the best class I've had. We had a great group of folks - there were 7 of us. You won't regret doing this.

You'll probably be surprised at how tired you get playing a panicked diver - no wonder they tire themselves out so quickly!

Like Alikat - I did mine as a package - Rescue, EFR, and Dan O2 - better deal. And I agree - all divers should go for the training - if nothing else to learn self rescue.

Have a blast with this class! And don't forget to Stop, Breathe, Think, Act.

p.s. Pizza reference - a lot of shops have you yell "Pizza" instead of "help" - amazing how hungry you are at the end of the day! :wink:

TTT once bubbled...
Hey there guys!

IT sounds like everyone that has taken it enjoys it...but is it worth the money?

Thanks for the info

Tommy

i have said this before and will always say it....... in my opinion, every diver should take rescue. its the best class i have ever taken where for the money you learn the most that will help you from now on. and as everyone else is saying, its a very fun class also.

steve

...I've talked of this before on this board, but I feel it is worth mentioning again.

Proper, effective rescue breathing ( tight seal / proper ventillatory input ) is difficult in the best of conditions ( flat, dry, non-moving surface ). It is almost impossible to do effectively in-water.

I can think of but one instance where I would advise the rescuer to attempt in-water ventillation, & that is in the case of a witnessed drowning where the casualty can be recovered to surface immediately. If done quickly enough, the casualties heart may still be functioning ( they may begin to breathe spontaneously ) & a few breaths may get their respirations restarted.

As rescuers, we must face some hard facts:

> if a diver loses conciousness u/w, they will drown

> in a little more than :1, their heart will stop beating

Without blood circulation, rescue breathing is wasted time.

Chest compressions, in-water, is wasted time.

What this casualty needs is to be expedited to a dry, flat, hard surface as quickly as possible, so that effective life-saving efforts can commence.

Time is of the essence... do all that you safely can for the casualty, but know that despite all that you do, the person may still die. Never compromise your health / safety in a rescue - your well-being must be your #1 priority.

Regards,
D.S.D.

My rescue intstructor changed to the "call for pizza" thing after one class when he turned around and saw all the rescue personnel rushing towards him and then a Navy Corpsman (who had made the call) tried to revive the "victem"

Hey mars!
I, too, am doing my rescue dives this weekend.
I'm pretty damn nervous. There are some pretty big guys in the class & while I consider myself fairly strong... I dunno...
Plus, I know (have been told) that I will be getting picked on.
I'm looking forward to it, though. Everyone seems to enjoy it.
So good luck!

Oh yeah!

I was wondering why my old instructor was wanting me to yell PIZZA instead of some other word in substitute for help! I just thought he had some kind of sudden craving for dominos! *chuckle*

I think I'll do it differently with my rescue classes, maybe get them to yell "sushi! sushi!" I'm such a rebel!

totalangel once bubbled...
mars2u - I can honestly say that it was probably the best class I've had. We had a great group of folks - there were 7 of us. You won't regret doing this.

You'll probably be surprised at how tired you get playing a panicked diver - no wonder they tire themselves out so quickly!

Like Alikat - I did mine as a package - Rescue, EFR, and Dan O2 - better deal. And I agree - all divers should go for the training - if nothing else to learn self rescue.

Have a blast with this class! And don't forget to Stop, Breathe, Think, Act.

p.s. Pizza reference - a lot of shops have you yell "Pizza" instead of "help" - amazing how hungry you are at the end of the day! :wink:

Yep - rescue is both a great course and essential skills.

I've been unfortunate enough to have attended a couple of rescues - the skills aquired flowed back and really did save lives. No question about it.

Important things to think about during and after the course

Look after yourself first - 1 victim is bad enough but 2 !!!

On the surface - Buoyancy , Buoyancy, Buoyancy

Don't rush at it - break each step down and think it through - slowly

Concentrate of getting the breathing right and calling for help

In a real rescue you don't need to get everything right - anything is often better than nothing - except endangering yourself !

Act - If you think something needs doing do it !

Look to prevent acidents - most incidents always start with the lines similar to
" Well we thought we could.. / I wasn't really up for it but... /the conditions weren't right but....

Practice these skills again and again -After the course ask the instructor if you can play victim for the next Rescue Course.

And do not forget - if you attended a rescue and the outcome wasn't a happy one - YOU did your best in the situation given to you. If you weren't there the situation would still have happened.

I think that this course should be almost manditory.

hope it goes well.

Blue.

It really is a great class.

Took my open water dives for Rescue last weekend. The scenarios were great.

My tips - keep all your kit together, know where it is and mentally reherse what you'd do if x or y happened.

Listen to the "victims" they have valuable information (just IRL - I suppose!).

We had crap viz less 2-3 metres, certainly made the search patterns fun!!!

Enjoy it.

I had such a great time taking the Rescue Class. One of the things that helped me do incredibly well in that class was watching the video, then doing the chapters, then watching the vid one more time right before I left for the quarry.

What a challenge and completely rewarding!

falcos once bubbled...

What a challenge and completely rewarding!

I agree completely!!!! Not to mention a great way to REALLY get to know other divers. Like, REALLY get to know them.... hahahaha. you get pretty intimate pretty quick.

Back
Top Bottom