Rescue Diver and the Case of the Missing Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dont bother with the mouth > snorkel thing either as most snorkels these days are self drain so wont work.
my instructor taped off the drain valve for the rescue course

Dont bother with the mouth > snorkel thing either as most snorkels these days are self drain so wont work.

No idea what the mouth > snorkel thing is, unless it's some weird way to use a snorkel for assisted breathing. I do believe that we will use our pocket masks if this comes up, especially since a pocket mask is supplied as part of the student materials.

Its an old method for providing rescue breaths whilst towing via a snorkel. Some people still teach it.

Most people use pocket masks or nothing at all now (i generally use the nothing-at-all as find it easier)

I just started my PADI DM pool sessions and we were told explicitly that we must have snorkels. We're a good example after all.

During the Rescue Diver course we wore them as well and for good reason. There were a couple scenarios when grabbing a mask, fins and snorkel was far faster than fully kitting up (or worse, heading out with no gear).

When I'm not in class or on the deck with students, though, my snorkel sits quietly in a Rubbermade gear box. That's just where I like it best!

I just started my PADI DM pool sessions and we were told explicitly that we must have snorkels. We're a good example after all.

If you wish to be a good example of a PADI diver, you must wear a snorkel. That is a true statement, although IIRC, (P implies Q) does not imply P.

I train my divers to not take things they wont need on a dive. So advise them not to take snorkels unless they actually want to go snorkelling.

RD has some non-scuba skills where grabbing a mask,fins and stuffing a snorkel up mask strap is a quicker response than donning full dive gear but that all you need it for. Finish those scenarios you can fling it back in the bag.

Nowhere do they say you must WEAR a snorkel. Absolutely nowhere.

Nowhere do they say you must WEAR a snorkel. Absolutely nowhere.
What about when demonstrating the "Snorkel to Regulator" exchange?

I was very pleased that no one hassled me this weekend for not "wearing" my snorkel as I was working with OW students on dives 3 & 4. I made it clear there was a snorkel in my pocket but it wasn't going to touch my mask!

demonstrating the "Snorkel to Regulator" exchange?

Hunh, now I know what the "S" in "S-Drill" stands for!

p.s. I took PADI instruction but did my OW checkouts under NAUI, so I'm actually not even a PADI diver. I do not recall any discussion of Snorkels during my NAUI checkout dives.

from PADI rescue diver instructor guide

"Each diver must use proper equipment with the normal and accepted
gear appropriate to the local diving environment.​
This includes, but is not

limited to: fins, mask, snorkel,,,,,,"

from PADI rescue diver instructor guide

"Each diver must use proper equipment with the normal and accepted
gear appropriate to the local diving environment.​
This includes, but is not

limited to: fins, mask, snorkel,,,,,,"

We could sit here and debate all day long as to SHOULD you use one, SHOULD you have to use one? I think the question you asked do you NEED one? (EDIT: you asked if you should buy one.) This has been answered in Steve 50's post. You must have one, it says so in the instructor manual and if an instructor will pass you without one then you really didnt pass the PADI Rescue Diver course and he shouldnt be teaching it. I am sorry for my rant, it wont happen again.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom