Rescue Diver and the Case of the Missing Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now back to your tone. It distresses me to see someone so worked up that they have to barge into a thread spouting vituperation. If you find my comments offensive, may I suggest you:

1. Report my comments for moderation;
  2. Avail yourself of the ignore thread option, or;
  3. Avail yourself of the ignore user option.
I really don't want this thread to blot the sunshine from your SB experience.

HAHA, my tone? I think you've read between lines that don't exist. My inflection was that of humor, not sarcasm. I think you take this forum and yourself a little to seriously. Good luck with your snorkel... :shakehead:

My inflection was that of humor, not sarcasm.

In that case, you may find the following humorous. Then again, perhaps not. In any event...

The shop handling the course was doing some shuffling and trying to make a schedule work for me as well as for two other students. I was told to report this evening for the first pool session before the first classroom session, so I really had no idea what to expect. I took a snorkel, of course.

When I got there, the instructor explained that the other two couldn't make it, so I was on my own. However, he is running a DiveMaster program, so I was welcome to jump in and do some skills with them.

What's a fin pivot between friends? I agreed. We went over some stuff I would call an OW refresher (it is the first session, after all). The part that reflects back on this thread is what happened when we were to practice descending. The instructor barked out instructions. "Orient yourselves! Switch from snorkel to regulator!! Deflate BCDs!!!"

Now nobody, not even the instructor, were wearing snorkels. So everyone pantomimed taking a snorkel out of their mouths and putting their primary regulator into their mouths.

I could only smile.

A snorkel is like a lot of "emergency" equipment. You don't need it until you need it. I have never had to use my whistle or dive sausage - but I always carry them. And on open ocean waters I will also carry my strobe and signal mirror - and I hope I won't need them.
drdaddy

Read the Post-Script (October 2002) section beginning on page 10 of 12, 5th paragraph down in this article:
Surface Survival Primer

It concerns a diver who actually drifted in the open ocean for two days after a dive in Micronesia. His point is that a snorkel can make an important difference (e.g. live or die) if a diver is forced to swim on the surface for any distance (e.g. in a survival situation). Larry had to swim for over nine hours to make it to an island - self-rescue. It would seem to me that a guy who experienced that no doubt had plenty of time to study how he got into that situation, and how not to get into it again...thus, I tend to pay attention to what divers like that have to say about the topic.

Thanks for the link to that article. Great read!!! Sorry for the slight Hijack.

A snorkel is like a lot of "emergency" equipment. You don't need it until you need it.

There is one crucial difference - a snorkel is not emergency equipment and you will never need it on a dive in any circumstance. May as well carry a wheelbarrow with you - its just as useful(/less)

There is one crucial difference - a snorkel is not emergency equipment and you will never need it on a dive in any circumstance. May as well carry a wheelbarrow with you - its just as useful(/less)
String, my friend, I respectfully must disagree.

In the article referenced above, the fellow who spent nine hours swimming in the ocean to get to an island wished like hell that he had a snorkel.

Not that I've ever spent nine hours in the ocean swimming to an island to save my life, mind you - I personally have never done so. But I actually believe in trying to learn through the mistakes, oversight, or problems that others have encountered.

Bizarre things just seem to happen sometimes:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/au...cific-islands/75035-dan-grenier-lost-sea.html

I've heard of enough cases where guys had to do some long swims to get back to shore, bouys, anchored boats, etc. that I'm convinced that under certain circumstances a snorkel tucked somewhere might be a piece of gear I'd consider - if I were the type to carry a signal mirror, an EPIRB, an SMB, or any other basic items of gear for surface survival in the open ocean.

But your mileage may most certainly vary...

Best,

Doc

In the article referenced above, the fellow who spent nine hours swimming in the ocean to get to an island wished like hell that he had a snorkel.

Or if he'd had the IQ to just roll onto his back, nicely inflate his jacket and swim that way. That if anything is a perfect example of someone inventing an equipment based solution to a problem that doesnt need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom