Rescue Diver and the Case of the Missing Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You must have one, it says so in the instructor manual and if an instructor will pass you without one then you really didnt pass the PADI Rescue Diver course and he shouldnt be teaching it. I am sorry for my rant, it wont happen again.

Well, if it says so in the Instructor's manual, then that settles all debate, doesn't it :rofl3: I suspect I'll have my four year-old son's snorkel with me for the pool session tonight. As to whether I really pass the course or not, my only concern is whether I become a safer dive buddy when diving under normal circumstances using normal equipment appropriate for the environment and team involved.

After taking my training with said snorkel, I will use my new-found judgment to decide whether a snorkel is something I wish to add to my dive gear. If it is such a great idea, I'm sure that will be made obvious by the training.

Well, if it says so in the Instructor's manual, then that settles all debate, doesn't it :rofl3:

I didnt think the topic was open for a debate, I thought you just wanted an answer. Sorry.

I didnt think the topic was open for a debate, I thought you just wanted an answer. Sorry.

I would be delighted to hear your answer. I gave four options in my OP. You have repeated that I must have a snorkel during class, which eliminates option number four. So, of the three remaining options, should I pursue #1, #2, or #3?

I'm wondering if I should...
  1. Own one and actually carry it on dives?
  2. Own one and keep it handy on shore in case I need to re-enter the water for assists?
  3. Borrow one to pass the course and then forget about it?
  4. Show up for the course without one and braze it out

#3 without any shadow of a doubt.

What about when demonstrating the "Snorkel to Regulator" exchange?

Depends when i have to teach that non-skill. Usually its a case of take it out of pocket, stuff up strap, do skill, shove back in pocket. Or throw onto shore once finished. Again doesnt say you have to have one with you and certainly not on the mask.

Without getting into the snorkel is good or bad discussion: A snorkel is a requirement for the course. There are scenarios you will practice where you assist a diver with just your mask, fins and snorkel.
Not my experience. No one in my PADI RD course had a snorkel during the open water portion of the class.

If RD is a class you want to take and the requirements are to have / don a snorkel, then just do it and quit bitchin' about it; once when the class is over get rid of it if you want. Debating the merits of a snorkel is pointless.

I start my PADI Rescue Diver training tomorrow. In preparation, I'm reading the manual and watching the DVD of course. They keep mentioning using a snorkel for in-water assists. I don't own a snorkel, I lost mine shortly after passing OW and haven't worn one since.

I'm wondering if I should...
  1. Own one and actually carry it on dives? This would be my suggestion.
  2. Own one and keep it handy on shore in case I need to re-enter the water for assists? Now what good would it do you on shore? I would think this is not the best idea.
  3. Borrow one to pass the course and then forget about it?This is not something you should borrow as it is considered personal equipment. You have to put your mouth on this so I would buy it.
  4. Show up for the course wihout one and braze it out? As stated in a previous post it is required for the course as per the instructor manual so I would say this is not an option.

Comments? Already gave them to you in other posts but the were not good enough it seems. Opinions? Everything I have said is an opinion. Blatant trolling?? Not my thing.All replies welcome!

So I think I have now covered every aspect of your post and one of those answers should work for you.

If RD is a class you want to take and the requirements are to have / don a snorkel, then just do it and quit bitchin' about it; once when the class is over get rid of it if you want. Debating the merits of a snorkel is pointless.

Who's bitching? I asked a question, I'm receiving responses, up to now the conversation has been civil. I also point out to you that there is a distinction between the merits of a snorkel for diving and for rescue. I have an opinion about whether I want or need one for my own diving. I am not that fascinated by a re-hash of this subject.

However, the merits of a snorkel as a piece of my rescue kit is another matter, and so far the debate you find pointless has already yielded some nuggest of wisdom for me, for example the suggestion to keep one in my kit topside for rescues or another to take a folder in my pocket. Though I might never use such a thing on a dive, perhaps one day I might need to leap into the water without wanting to pause to find a snorkel in my bag.

So, the discussion has been useful for me, and I thank everyone for sharing their experience.

Now back to your tone. It distresses me to see someone so worked up that they have to barge into a thread spouting vituperation. If you find my comments offensive, may I suggest you:

1. Report my comments for moderation;
  2. Avail yourself of the ignore thread option, or;
  3. Avail yourself of the ignore user option.
I really don't want this thread to blot the sunshine from your SB experience.

RB:

I have a $40 snorkel I'll sell you for $20. If you're interested, let me know.

RB:

I have a $40 snorkel I'll sell you for $20. If you're interested, let me know.

Is it because you got suckered into buying the $40 "dry" snorkle (as did I ) and your trying to make something back :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom