Rescue Diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found the Rescue course very worthwhile, mainly because it makes you think and question how you would tackle different problems. Best of all it prepares you for diving with idiots, or that instabuddy that knows it all. Regards Corrie

I'm doing the rescue course at the moment since I've always felt a lack of ability to respond to any possible emergency situation with a dive buddy or any diver in my group. I usually watch other divers to see how they descend/ascend, how their buoyancy control is, whether they swim close/far from the guide/group, etc.
As I posted in another topic about this course, it is the most challenging and most rewarding course I've done so far. Not only does it increase my confidence and ability to help others, it also makes me more aware of myself and my equipment.
The course will push you physically and mentally but that is a requirement since it needs to be as authentic as possible so you'll recognize and know how to act when possible emergencies happen in the future. I only had my 2nd session this Saturday and my instructor presented me with several problems underwater that we didn't discuss during the pre-dive briefing. While I had a hard time trying to solve those problems it was a great learning experience. We discussed the mistakes I made in detail afterwards so I'll know how to act properly in the future.

I agree with everyone else that you won't regret taking this course!

The Rescue Diver Course is, in my oppinion, the most rewarding course you can take in recreational diving - both in regards to the skills you learn but also in regards to the fun of it. It is simply a great experience taking it and I very much recommend it.

Probably slightly biased as a PADI instructor but I believe it is one of the best courses available and great fun to do and to teach. Also as Richard said in an earlier post once your prepared for an emergency you are less likely to freak out which is the real danger in most situations.

What would take first: Rescue, Or Low Vis, and navigation?

I did Nav before Rescue. IMO, doesn't really matter. But definitely do Rescue.

I took the PADI rescue course two years ago. It's a great course, and like all others, depends to some extent on how good the instructor is. A good (and realistic) instructor will gear the course and exercises to the students, and won't expect an 80 pound woman to drag a 300 pound guy with dive gear up the beach unassisted. However, like any course, it only introduces you to the skills you need for the course, but doesn't necessarily make you proficient in the skills. There's a lot of material in the class, and if you don't reinforce it following the class your skills will quickly decrease. My LDS lets anyone who took the rescue class come back and participate in future rescue classes. The first couple of times I did this I wondered if I really took the class - there was so much I either forgot or didn't pick up on in the class it was amazing. After the third time going along with rescue classes I finally felt proficient with most of the rescue class skills. Another reason to go along with the class multiple times is you will probably be exposed to multiple rescue scenarios - the first 5 times I participated in rescue classes it was always beach/shore rescues; boat rescues (probably more realistic for most of us) are different in a number of ways. Despite PADI's class standardization, there's a lot of different experiences each instructor brings to the class (unlike the OW certification), so working with several different instructors will also improve your rescue skills.

Rescue should be mandatory for anyone diving regularly.

It's the best course in PADI that I've done and will likely ever do... fun to do, even more fun to impart the pain i endured to other students being a DM :D

A common reaction afterwards is "Oh my gosh, why wasn't this stuff in OW!"

Do it for sure. No need to be especially skilled as a diver.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom