Rescue Diver True Stories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leave it to PADI to further reduce what I considered bare minimum qualifications of Rescue. It was 25 dives and AOW I believe. You can now get Rescue without AOW and without any dives outside of classes. That's nuts. I felt 25 dives was a very low thresh hold considering 9 of them are training dives.

I always felt PADI standards were low. Now I have to wonder if safety enters their heads as someone with less than 1 unsupervised dive should not be attempting to rescue anybody.
The role of rescue training in early diver education is an ongoing debate. There are agencies that pride themselves on the inclusion of rescue skills in the Open Water level course and others that segregate panicked-diver rescue skills into a post-OW course. I don't think agency bashing or cheerleading is helpful at all in answering the OP's question.

I've had several situations. The first was my own; I had a violent freeflow from my backup regulator that we couldn't stop. I had two buddies sitting in front of me with their long hoses at ready; I took the instructor's, and we ascended. Tank was empty before we got to the surface, and we started at 30 feet. In retrospect, I wish someone had shut off my tank so I'd have been free of the noise and the bubbles.

Second was not my rescue, but I was there. We surfaced from a class dive, to find a very young man (I'd guess 13 or 14) on the surface. He was barely bouyant, and he just kept saying, "Where's my buddy? Where's my buddy?" He didn't answer when we spoke to him. His eyes were very wide. My instructor swam around behind him, came up and inflated his BC. We stayed with him while the instructor dropped to find the class of which this young man was a part. His instructor hadn't noticed he was missing. He was in total, completely disabling panic. It didn't look at all like what the video scenarios show.

Third was a real rescue attempt. I was at our local mudhole, not diving, but simply having driven an out of town visitor there to see the place. A good friend was also there on land, and we got to chatting. Looking out over the water, we saw a diver surface, and he appeared to be having a conversation with a walker who was standing at the top of the riprap slope. The walker then got out his cell phone, and we all started to trot to the area to see what was going on.

As we got near, my friend realized that the diver who had surfaced was someone he knew, who had been diving with a mutual friend of ours. I will call the surfaced diver "buddy", and the his buddy "victim". The friend we were chatting with will be "friend". Friend and I climbed as quickly as we could to the bottom of the riprap, and there we found Buddy supporting Victim. Buddy told us his friend had signaled a problem a few minutes earlier underwater, and asked to return to shore. Halfway there, he thumbed the dive. He arrived at the surface and said, "I can't breathe", and lost consciousness.

The three of us worked to get Victim out of the water and onto a firm support. Unfortunately, we did not have a beach anywhere near -- we had a boulder slope. We cut off Victim's gear (and I later decided that was foolish, because the backplate would have made a great surface to do CPR on, if we had just cut the cambands and gotten rid of the tank -- but nobody teaches you to do that, and we were following protocol we had all learned). We tried to arrange him as best we could on the rocks, but he was almost 300 pounds, and not easy to move as dead weight. Buddy began mouth-to-mouth and Friend began CPR. Buddy was an EMT; Friend was an EMT, and I'm an ER doc.

As often happens when people are dying and getting CPR and mouth-to-mouth, Victim vomited, and Buddy got a mouth full of it. He bent aside to vomit in his turn, and returned to doing ventilations. (Buddy was one of Victim's best friends; they had known one another for many years.) We traded off CPR, but CPR isn't very effective on people that size, and especially not on uneven and unsupporting surfaces.

Since the walker had called 911 and our major trauma hospital is only about three or four miles away, it wasn't long before the paramedics got there. They faced a tremendous challenge in getting this man onto a board and up this long, very uneven and difficult slope to the sidewalk. Doing adequate CPR and ventilations was nearly impossible, although they really tried.

At the top of the slope, they continued; they intubated him, and I don't know what his rhythm showed. They transported to the hospital, where he was declared dead.

What I learned from this: Accidents don't always happen on deep or risky dives (this one was shallow and VERY familiar to both divers). They don't always happen where it's easy to get someone onto the beach or boat and help them, and they don't always happen to people who are easy to move around. All you can do is the best you can do and hope; Jake, we did what we could for you, and I still miss you.

Bummer! My first serious dive accident resulted in me doing rescue breaths and then CPR on an 18 yr old kid who died on the rocks in front of his sister and 150 on-lookers.

Leave it to PADI to further reduce what I considered bare minimum qualifications of Rescue. It was 25 dives and AOW I believe. You can now get Rescue without AOW and without any dives outside of classes. That's nuts. I felt 25 dives was a very low thresh hold considering 9 of them are training dives.

I always felt PADI standards were low. Now I have to wonder if safety enters their heads as someone with less than 1 unsupervised dive should not be attempting to rescue anybody.

On the one hand I agree with you; I have 21 dives, and will be doing AOW this summer. I don't believe I was ready for it before, let alone Rescue.

Having said that, how does this square with the oft-repeated refrain of "rescue skills should be taught in OW" that we see on this board?

No easy answers.

PADI's rationale as far as I can recall, was that the Rescue Course is 90% surface. Even during training/ scenarios your max depth is 9m. The advanced ticket is not necessary, it's not a course about depth. A lot the course can be completed in only snorkeling equipment, therefore the need for huge amounts of dive experience is fairly moot.

Of course you do need to be a strong swimmer :wink: But that's a whole different can of worms!!

Did I "rescue" anyone? In reality, probably not, but I was glad I had the training to recognize a couple of situations that could have gotten worse if I hadn't acted when I did.

I really like what they say in the intro to the course, that the Open Water course teaches you to be aware of yourself, the Advanced Open Water course teaches you to be aware of your environment, and the Rescue Diver course teaches you to be aware of your fellow divers.

This is one of the great things about scuba diving, that it's a personal growth pursuit.

For example, I've had difficulty carrying all the weight when walking to and from shore in a heavy wetsuit, tank, and weights. So now I'm doing a daily exercise regimen, have lost some weight, and feel all this extra energy.

Scuba diving has really been so much more for me than just the diving itself (and I've only just started).

I am unfamiliar with the prerequisites for the Rescue class... is it really only 14 dives?

I've no illusions about my knowledge level. There's no substitute for experience. While gearing up for my first Advanced Open Water dive 2 weeks ago, I had to ask myself, "Does the BCD go on the tank before the regulator is attached, or after?"

But I really like the PADI online courses, and I like learning new things, and I like getting the new card in the mail afterwards. So I'm going to be one of those people who take one course after another in quick succession.

Probably the most extreme situation I've had in 39 years was 3 weeks ago. During a training dive with a single open water student, I had him going through his demos.
Three advanced divers were about 15-20ft away and I was watching them over my student's shoulder. We were all neutral at about 25' in 150' of water.

One of the three ascended leaving the other two. One of the two handed the other 2 weights and turned his back to the one holding the weights.

The one holding the weights began a descent unseen by the other. I turned to my student and pointed to the surface and gave him the go sign.

I turned and began swimming hard after the descending diver. I saw her drop the weights and grab her Air3 as she still descended. As I swam down after her, I saw air bubbles coming out of her up raised left hand.

Damn, she dumping instead of inflating, I thought, as she continued down. Now panicked, she frayed knocking her mask askew flooding it, just as I caught her, at 112'.

As I took her arm, I saw her choking, her eyes roll back and she split out her reg. I inflated my BcD some and put my alt air in her mouth and kicked hard for the surface.

Little fast coming up but could hold her and dump.

At the surface we were just a few feet from the floating dock and I called for help.

I pushed her, as two others lifted, she was out but when she hit the dock, she came to and began puking and coughing out water. I called for EMS and gave her O2 as we waited for them to arrive.

No 2nd dive that day.

Wow, you totally saved a life that day.

I've heard (here and elsewhere) several stories of divers with uncontrolled descents needing rescuing. Buoyancy is truly the most important skill for a diver.

When you descend after a diver who's descending inappropriately, can you equalize adequately? I heard about an instructor sustaining ear damage rescuing someone this way. If you can't equalize but the victim is continuing to descend, I guess you make a choice between your ears and the victim's life.

Having been exposed to commercial diving and BSAC prior to taking the PADI OW course (primarily to legalize my tank filling) I was surprised by the minimal emphasis on rescue.

I eventually did my rescue course after 182 dives post OW.

During many dives occasionally have helped out cutting line, adjusting gear etc on other divers, but never anything that lead to a full blown rescue.

However one night after surfacing from a night dive at the Sheraton Beach in Jeddah during the early 90s with several other divers, we swam several meters to the steps to get out, change etc., and as we were taking off our kit one guy mentioned "where is Richard?" We rushed back to the steps to see him flailing around on the surface and barely shouting for help. He was no more than 5 meters from the steps and had surfaced with the rest of us.

I jumped in and swam towards him and asked him what was wrong, he told me that he could not move and had been trying to swim towards the steps for about 5 minutes but was not moving. We knew he was a poor swimmer but I had could not believe this was the problem.

What had happened was that a loose piece of rope from a buoy used for dive training had managed to catch on his first stage, and he had been trying to swim pulling the buoy which was anchored 10M below to several concrete blocks and chain.

He was totally exhausted. I removed his BC and towed him back to the steps where some of the other guys took over then swam back to untangle his gear and bring that back.

We all had a good laugh about it later though, but it was a reminder that although we dived this site frequently and knew it well the unexpected can easily happen

I've no illusions about my knowledge level. There's no substitute for experience. While gearing up for my first Advanced Open Water dive 2 weeks ago, I had to ask myself, "Does the BCD go on the tank before the regulator is attached, or after?"

But I really like the PADI online courses, and I like learning new things, and I like getting the new card in the mail afterwards. So I'm going to be one of those people who take one course after another in quick succession.

Don't worry about it. For every poster who wants you to have 500 dives before you do rescue, theres another who thinks rescue should be part of the basic OW class.

Wow, you totally saved a life that day.

I've heard (here and elsewhere) several stories of divers with uncontrolled descents needing rescuing. Buoyancy is truly the most important skill for a diver.

When you descend after a diver who's descending inappropriately, can you equalize adequately? I heard about an instructor sustaining ear damage rescuing someone this way. If you can't equalize but the victim is continuing to descend, I guess you make a choice between your ears and the victim's life.

Depends on the person, since peoples ability to equalize varies. I have zero issues with equalization. I can descend like a rock and never feel the slightest discomfort. My wife cannot descend as quickly without problems, so she'd be more likely to injure herself in the event of an uncontrolled descent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom