Rescued the Out of Air Newby today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You did good. Don't sweat it.

Sent from my DROID X2

I think this thread clarifies in my mind what my instructor told me in the pool last Monday, "You begin your ascent at an early enough point to leave my 500 psi in the tank." When I looked at him quizzically, he explained to me that the last 500 psi in my tank was not my air, but was his. And vice versa his last 500 psi was mine, just in case. I hope there is a bratface around if I ever need this type of help.

I think this thread clarifies in my mind what my instructor told me in the pool last Monday, "You begin your ascent at an early enough point to leave my 500 psi in the tank." When I looked at him quizzically, he explained to me that the last 500 psi in my tank was not my air, but was his. And vice versa his last 500 psi was mine, just in case. I hope there is a bratface around if I ever need this type of help.

You do realize how utterly silly your instructor's directive is, right?

Ask him at the next classroom, well how do I do that?
What pressure should I leave at?
Does it matter what depth I'm at?
Does it matter what size tank I have?
Does it matter if I am super cold and tired and breathing hard?
Shall I hurry my ascent if it looks like I will reach the surface with 400 lbs?

Similar ideas get stuck so hard that sometimes a diver may not realize: If you need to use that reserve, do so without hesitation - even on the surface.

The intial story of "saving someone" at 38 feet with 500 psi is ridiculous, (the diver really needed zero help).

If the diver had 500 psi, I would just tell him to ascend and if he looked excessively clownish, I would accompany him.

The story changes a lot however, if the diver was very low on air, his eyes were bugging out, he had "that look" and upon surfacing he said it was getting hard to breath.

With respect to the Op's actions..if he "had the look" and showed a low pressure, I would have done the exact same thing the OP did... give him the octopus and bring him up. If I had to intervene in this manner, upon reaching the surface, I would be using his power inflator to fill his BC or I would do it orally. I wouldn't be telling him to blow it up.

If a diver looks stressed, and you think you can control them, it is much better to put them on your redundant air and eliminate the stress of them sucking their tank dry on the ascent and having to switch over in "an emergency", plus it is definitely better to reserve a few hundred pounds in his tank for Bc inflation at the surface.

As a totally green noob, Having just completed my 10 th dive yesterday, I think it is prudent advice to have new divers not worry about carrying anything, ie camera until after at least 10-25 dives. I am an avid land photographer and am waiting to purchase an underwater camera until I hit my 25th dive.

I did dives 7,8,9 and 10 in one day in key largo and my comfort level has shot up tremendously by doing four dives consecutively.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

You do realize how utterly silly your instructor's directive is, right?

Ask him at the next classroom, well how do I do that?
What pressure should I leave at?
Does it matter what depth I'm at?
Does it matter what size tank I have?
Does it matter if I am super cold and tired and breathing hard?
Shall I hurry my ascent if it looks like I will reach the surface with 400 lbs?

I realize there is much more to learn and you have pointed out some of that, but if I ensure the alternate air is there today while I learn, I can adjust to other factors later as I learn more. I have learned but need to practice, proper ascent rate, ensuring I don't hurry my ascent, as well as the other factors you point out. I have much to learn and I am just getting started. I do think it is a good idea to think of that air as belonging to my buddy...........as long as I don't do something stupid and need it, then it's mine. :doh:

Similar ideas get stuck so hard that sometimes a diver may not realize: If you need to use that reserve, do so without hesitation - even on the surface.
See above, if I have a massive brain fart and need it, I'm going to use it.

As a totally green noob, Having just completed my 10 th dive yesterday, I think it is prudent advice to have new divers not worry about carrying anything, ie camera until after at least 10-25 dives. I am an avid land photographer and am waiting to purchase an underwater camera until I hit my 25th dive.

I did dives 7,8,9 and 10 in one day in key largo and my comfort level has shot up tremendously by doing four dives consecutively.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

Good for you for knowing your limits, and expanding them cautiously.

With respect to the Op's actions..if he "had the look" and showed a low pressure, I would have done the exact same thing the OP did... give him the octopus and bring him up. If I had to intervene in this manner, upon reaching the surface, I would be using his power inflator to fill his BC or I would do it orally. I wouldn't be telling him to blow it up.

Thank you Dumpster Diver. He had no air left and yes, I could have blown up his BC and should have. You have a couple thousand dives more than I do and as an instructor, you are prepared to do just that. We surfaced at the side of the bow and he began swimming toward the stern. I was just stunned at his reaction when we surfaced like this was a normal occurrence.

Thank you Dumpster Diver. He had no air left and yes, I could have blown up his BC and should have. You have a couple thousand dives more than I do and as an instructor, you are prepared to do just that. We surfaced at the side of the bow and he began swimming toward the stern. I was just stunned at his reaction when we surfaced like this was a normal occurrence.
Nah, I would have told him to blow it - but been ready to help if needed, even dumping his weights if he continued to screw up.

Back
Top Bottom