Research for a new resort... Feedback Wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2OSensei

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all. I'm working on a project where I need to collect feedback from travelers/divers as to what your likes/dislikes are about resort operators that you have visited in the recent past.

Plase fel free to provide me with suggestions, stories of incidents and mostly things that you liked and didn't like about your selected dive operator and the resort operation.

What kind of things do you like to have available on your trips and what are the things that didn't leave a positive impact on you.

Please feel free to rant.

We are trying to build the perfect resort and we can only do it with feedback from you.

Thank you in advance.

Define your terms... well~ that would be limiting.

When I go on a dive vacation, I want one thing: diving. I want it four and five times a day, including a night dive.

I do not want poolside bar service, wait staff at my beck and call, 5 course meals cooked to my specification, nor a chocolate on my pillow.

Some folks think they have been diving while at Club Dread, some have reached the apogee of their diving career while their cruise ship is in port for 6 hours.

Some of the best I have had featured a dive-op with a thatch roof and pea gravel floor. You had to wade out into the surf to the boats, the boats were... interesting. We had the second tier room at a property with an absolutely stunning view of Ian Flemming's oil lamp illuminated mansion on it's solitary rock island. My wife says it was the most fun time in a most romantic setting. (Tobago: Red-M Dive for SCUBA and The Blue Waters Inn for the bed)

I want a nice bed, an ocean breeze, and drop-dead simple easy breezy flop-into-the-water diving. The diving can be absolutely crazy challenging (the currents off of Isla Verde, Batangas), but it better be easy for me to go from my bed to the back roll.

The Hotel Galapagos. A simple (now there's an understatement) property on the edge of the Darwin Station, the "front lawn" a grassy patched lava field for Iguanas.

Ok then, my answer to your question: Go look at CoCoView on Roatan. Of the hundreds of places that I have been diving, it is, far and away, the best single AI resort I have ever seen. Built for one purpose: diving. Flat hard sand, limited stairs. Fabulously practical dive deck/wet rooms/rinse tanks. The boats are simply perfection. Find a spot like this that has the miriad creatures that live in the nursery walls of the South side of Roatan. Give me a shore dive that begins at my room's door. The operation and surrounding ocean are perfect for certifications as well as advanced. Then go figure out how to kill the Sand Flies~ they are endemic to the Caribbean but absolutely aces in the Bay Islands..

If you want to see it's equal, go see Hotel Atlantis, Puerto Galera, Philippines. They have no sand flies, they have a 5* restaurant. This hotel is a property that is highly under rated and undervalued. It is spectacular. Downside? 22 hours with your butt in a monkey-class seat. But again~ they give you bulk quantities of remarkable diving.

I go to dive. So this is from that perspective.

I've been to dive resorts that shouldn't be allowed to call themselves that as it's apparent they were set up for another purpose - at least originally.

Soft sand between facilities is a killer when hauling gear. A secure storage area with convenienent 24/7 access to gear - especially if shorediving possibilities exist is preferable.

If there is local offshore diving, some sort of convenient access to is is preferable. Like a dive dock with good wide steps made of some non-slick material. I've seen so many out of wood that are almost hazardous once the algae forms on them, the smart ones use corrugated rubber floor mats or something similar on top of them. Although that can be slick as well. Regular maintenance prevents that, I've been somewhere once where I saw a staff person scrubbing them off.

Some sort of bench on the end of the dock is also useful.

One of the diveops on Curacao closes and locks their facilities at 5PM so w/o special arrangements you don't have access to your gear or tanks to shoredive the other 16hrs. of the day. There that's just wrong...

We stayed at BelMar condos in Bonaire once, outside our door was a personal dive locker, and our room key opened the public areas of the diveshop for access to tanks, the Nitrox analyzer and the wetsuit storage area. Great idea...

And rooms 1/4 mile away from the diveop are a bad idea. Even the layout s/b considered. At some of the better known dive resorts on Bonaire, with their perpendicular orientation from the condos to the beach, it can be a long walk with gear. At several we drove to the closest point, dropped the gear and then went back and parked.

At BelMar otoh with it's parallel orientation, except for the upstairs rooms, nothing is farther than 100' to the dive dock. They could even have done a better job during construction (recent) since all the stairs are in the back. They do compensate for it somewhat by having lockers for the upstairs condos on the diveshop end of the complex.

Capt. Don's Habitat does this well, the lockers are at the same level as the divedock, they're tall, there's lots of them and the locker room is open to the ocean. There's a tall table for setting your gear up on and it's a 50' walk to the end of the dive dock. And although it's a drop from the resort level to the ocean, they use a long ramp instead of flights of stairs.

If you're starting from scratch, locate the dive op near the diving also, surprisingly I've been to a couple that weren't. Plaza Resort comes to mind, their diveop is located near their boat dock but their shoredive site is a good 1/4-1/2 mi. north of there. I've heard they started staging tanks near there recently, prior to that it was a long walk from some of the condos and rooms. Although in their defense, I think their boat traffic is a larger part of their business. And you can park pretty close to the diveshop for tank pickup for shorediving elsewhere.

And if you're going to provide lockers, make sure they're both secure and accessible. I've seen some that were homebuilt, one even had the hinges on the outside of the door. 2 minutes with a screwdriver would defeat the best lock.

Steps are to be avoided whenever possible also. And do logical things - at Habitat Curacao for example, although they have three vertical flights of stairs down to water level, they located their tank fill station, showers and lockers at the bottom also. Showers are also there and they also have a long, tall table for gearing up and getting into your gear. And smartly included benches to the sides so you can sit while getting into your boots/wetsuit etc. Then it's a short walk down their divedock to a great shore dive.

But perversely, you get weights in the diveshop and have to carry them down all those steps. (I dropped mine...) A smart thing they do is a second tank pickup in their parking lot so at least you don't have to carry tanks back UP the stairs when shorediving.

If you're going to sell "valet" diving - mean it!!! One diveop in the Caymans offered it, but in addition to having to haul my own gear from their shop to their boat daily, they asked me to help carry tanks back. Only a couple hundred yards but it wasn't what they advertised.

Otoh at Dive BVI, once my gear was on the boat the first time, I never touched it again all week unless I wanted to, they efficiently helped everyone in and out of the water, changed tanks during SI's and securely stored our gear all week. Then cleaned everything thoroughly the last day and made it available for pickup to meet our schedule the next morning - not theirs. Just a first-class operation.

Personally I prefer dive boats designed for diving, like the Newton's. If possible also stay away from anything with a raised center hatch above the engines, that's a pita when you're geared up and moving to the back in anything but flat calm conditions. I've been on several boats with wide benches at the back of the boat also. Made it convenient to sit down, put on my fins, grab the handholds and step onto the dive platform and GS into the water. And it's a lot easier when the step down to the platform is pretty shallow, one boat I was on it wasn't and I saw someone stumble and almost pitch headfirst into the water. Just bad design as it was a retro-fit.

Big, wide swimsteps and two ladders are preferred. Good railings ALL the way up the ladder also. And the ladders should be the ones you can board with your fins on - a single pole down the middle and open ends. Occcasionally conditions dictate getting back on board with your fins still on. I was on one boat where the below water ladder was open but it changed to a conventional ladder above the water line. That was stupid...

And what idiot designed dive boat roofs so that you whack your head stepping on/off the side steps onto the dock. A simple cutout eliminates that, I've seen it done on several boats.

For the resort, clean. secure accommodations are a must. And A/C in the tropics, I'm always going to want that - even if it costs slightly more - at least to sleep. Individual outside showers are a good idea to minimize the amount of sand, salt etc. that gets into the properties.

Being a videographer, if it's possible to provide a larger safe, I'd consider that a plus. At least something big enough for a laptop or photo/video setup would be ideal. Most safes I've seen are sized for passports and money only.

Two great, detailed posts. I am going to offer one side thing that would help.. potentially. Have a market near by. Most divers I know are trying to move funds from one thing to another. Having the ability to grab a minimal priced snack instead of a full on meal makes sense.

And not to go against myself on "fickle spending", but also have at least a contact or two for really good massage services - either offering shuttle services (build into price), or a come to your resort type of thing. In a given week, I like to get a massage at least once when diving.. helps to work out the shoulder kinks, etc. Also, while I LOVE diving and could go 4-5 a day, my wife is a 2-dive type of diver and she loves her massages. Having a contact for massages will allow couples to split up without one sitting around digging their toes in the sand stewing....

I agree with RoatanMan about CoCo View being a fantastic operation for divers. My experience is far, far less than his, but I was totally smitten with the layout of CoCo View. Really designed for divers. The "feed-through" access to the dive boats is fantastic. You enter one side of a shed where your gear is kept, pick it up, walk 20 ft to the stern of the boat servicing that particular shed, claim a spot with two tanks and assemble your gear. Reverse the process, but include gear rinsing on the dock, when you return on the boat.

One general comment: too often there are not enough rinse tanks or those that are present are too small. Without enough total volume in one or more tanks, they go from being true rinse tanks to "re-submersion" tanks very rapidly. At CoCo View, rinse tanks are located both dockside and landside, the latter being preferred by folks returning in the opposite direction, from shore dives.

Dining hours should be sufficiently flexible to maximize diving opportunities, without interfering with meals.

I would be happy with a bed that isn't rock hard! I love Cozumel but it can be tough to find a comfortable bed. Dive Safe....

Here are a few things I often don't see at dive resorts...

- steel 100's and 120's available for rental
- EAN 36 and EAN 40 fills at non "Tec" resorts
- DSLR underwater setups for rental... $100+/day is fine if the setup is worth 5K or more
- Underwater surveys of the best dive sites

I also go to dive. Price is a major factor in my choice of a resort.

It should be possible to do a minimum of 4 boat dives per day at different sites, plus unlimited shore diving. DMs should be friendly and knowledgeable, but not overbearing. Diving your own profile (with a time limit) should be permitted; it should not be required that divers have to follow the dive guide.

I am OK with older boats; luxury and/or high speed is not required. Tanks should be in hydro (don't laugh) and the compressor needs to be clean and well maintained (I will want to look at it). Ditto for the rinse tank.

Most of the rest is optional. Good food is nice, but "edible" is the only requirement. I like a drink at the bar after diving is finished for the day. I expect my room will have AC and be free of mosquitos. I don't watch TV.

That's about it, really. Pretty simple! The only question is how much of a market there is for that kind of thing ...

Back
Top Bottom