Researching First (jacket) Bc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elora_c

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm planning my first purchase of a BC (and regulator). I've only been certified for 2 years (OW and AOW) and only dive once or twice a year, so this isn't an economic choice but is safety/comfort oriented. I've only ever dived with a jacket, and I like the enclosed feeling, so I'm not ready to switch to a back inflate. I've been to two dive shops and did get some good advice. But what I also learned is that although they carry many different brands, they both had their one favorite and just pushed that one line. I need to comparison shop and have choices. That helps me understand the disadvantages and advantages of each. So, I'm looking for a jacket (or hybrid) for warm water. Plenty of metal D-rings (is there an advantage of stainless vs aluminum?). weight (slide & lock variety) integrated pockets. Lower release valve. Female cut would be nice, but not required; it just needs to fit a small body: 5'4, 110lbs. I always wear a 3.5mm full wetsuit. Under $500 would be preferable, but I can stretch to $600.

One store recommended the Sherwood Luna. The other recommended the Mares Hybrid She Dives. Others I'm looking at are the Aqua Lung Pro HD, Oceanic Hera, and Cressi Aquaride Pro.

If anyone has any suggestions for choosing between these (or wants to add something to the list that fits), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

The Aqualung Pro HD equivalent with female form-fitting features is the Lotus. It also has the Wrapture harness which seems to meet your "I like the enclosed feeling" criteria. 4 steel d-rings plus 4 plastic ones - one inside the pocket. SurelockII weight system, extra right shoulder dump, hose routing options - seems like it meets most of your criteria. $550 retail. Lotus

edit: Oops, it's a back-inflate ^

I don't suggest upgrading to the I3 inflator since it needlessly complicates a simple inflator and makes all service required thru an AL dealer with a tech trained in it. Sometimes that can be hard to find when diving somewhere remote.

The Hybrid Aqualung female model is the Pearl but it's $579 and I don't see a clear advantage for your situation. Unless you want a hybrid over a jacket.

Zeagle sells a jacket line now also - I'm a fan of their products due to durability - also I'm a back-inflate fan. They now sell a ladies jacket model - I know nothing about it but what's here: The Grace BCD designed for women | Zeagle
$411 list.

Scubapro Bella's retail for $640 - $740 with an AIR 2...

hth,

Last edited:
The Aqualung Pro HD equivalent with female form-fitting features is the Lotus. It also has the Wrapture harness which seems to meet your "I like the enclosed feeling" criteria. 4 steel d-rings plus 4 plastic ones - one inside the pocket. SurelockII weight system, extra right shoulder dump, hose routing options - seems like it meets most of your criteria. $550 retail. Lotus

I don't suggest upgrading to the I3 inflator since it needlessly complicates a simple inflator and makes all service required thru an AL dealer with a tech trained in it. Sometimes that can be hard to find when diving somewhere remote.

The Hybrid Aqualung female model is the Pearl but it's $579 and I don't see a clear advantage for your situation. Unless you want a hybrid over a jacket.

Zeagle sells a jacket line now also - I'm a fan of their products due to durability - also I'm a back-inflate fan. They now sell a ladies jacket model - I know nothing about it but what's here: The Grace BCD designed for women | Zeagle
$411 list.

hth,
The Lotus is a back inflate which elora_c said she does not want. The Pearl is a traditional jacket. But we definitely agree on avoiding the i3 thingy :wink:

The Lotus is a back inflate which elora_c said she does not want. The Pearl is a traditional jacket. But we definitely agree on avoiding the i3 thingy :wink:
I even knew that...:shakehead:

thx,

Reactions: mbs
Just be sure to shop around for prices. Many times your LDS will match or come close to matching on-line prices. Unless their pricing is way off, I always try to buy from my local dive shop.

$411 list.

Yeah, about prices... PMS has a cressi basic plus the full reg set for around $450. It's not weight-integrated and the regs are rather basic, too, but still. (I know because my perma-buddy is like OP looking for her own jacket.)

Take a good look at the Sherwood Avid if luggage weight is not an issue when you travel. It is a great jacket bcd, very stable and durable. If you fly to where you dive and want a lightweight bcd that will fit your requirements, look at the Scubapro GO. My wife has used both, and was very happy with them. Call Leisure Pro directly, rather than ordering online, as I have found them to be willing to discuss pricing. If they can save you some money, they will. Look for demo models and open box specials to increase your savings.

Hi, @elora_c . Do you have a LDS with a pool where you can try your options on or demo? I started off thinking I wanted something and when I had open water dives and then pool demos with them, it completely changed what I wanted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom