Reserve Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome, cheers all. Maybe I can hook up with one of you MoCal-ers and take a look at one of them? If it's not required for fundies then I'll probably save my money for a wing (it's true, still don't have one), but if the performance (in rec terms) is good enough maybe I'll just break down and get one anyway.

The purpose of a backup light is to serve when your primary has failed. In that circumstance, you already have one strike against you -- you don't want a second one, because that's how the incident pit begins. So the most critical quality for a backup light is absolute reliability. Multiple holes in the cylinder are all potential leak points (arguing against push buttons) and magnetic switches tend to fail if they get sand or grit in them. Thus the recommendation for a twist-on head.

This is one of the prescriptions I have bucked most often, being seduced into trying all kinds of sexy small lights, and learning, over and over again, that the people who write these gear recommendations really DO know what they are doing, and have probably tried these things before I did, and learned what I learned. I could have saved myself a great deal of money by just doing as I was told :)

But on the subject of acceptable, inexpensive backup lights, the Dorcy Penetrators are quite nice. Twist-on, use AAA batteries (so cheap and readily available) and have excellent brightness, focus, and burn time. And they run about $40 when Piranha puts them on sale.

The purpose of a backup light is to serve when your primary has failed. In that circumstance, you already have one strike against you -- you don't want a second one, because that's how the incident pit begins. So the most critical quality for a backup light is absolute reliability. Multiple holes in the cylinder are all potential leak points (arguing against push buttons) and magnetic switches tend to fail if they get sand or grit in them. Thus the recommendation for a twist-on head.

This is one of the prescriptions I have bucked most often, being seduced into trying all kinds of sexy small lights, and learning, over and over again, that the people who write these gear recommendations really DO know what they are doing, and have probably tried these things before I did, and learned what I learned. I could have saved myself a great deal of money by just doing as I was told :)

But on the subject of acceptable, inexpensive backup lights, the Dorcy Penetrators are quite nice. Twist-on, use AAA batteries (so cheap and readily available) and have excellent brightness, focus, and burn time. And they run about $40 when Piranha puts them on sale.

I've been meaning to get some spring straps from Pirhana, so perhaps I'll give the Dorcy a shot while I'm making an order. I don't suppose you know how it compares to the Impact XL (it's really my only reference point)? Is the Scout too focused to be a good backup rec light (as in, 'continue the dive' rather than 'survive to complain')?

Your point about the reliability of backup lights is well taken. I think perhaps I hadn't quite comprehended the gravity of any situation in which the backup light actually gets used.

The new HP scout is really nice. Focused, great burn time, but it ain't cheap. It could probably double as a backup light or a decent go-to light for looking in crevasses and for night dives.

I might just get one myself!

I could have saved myself a great deal of money (and energy) by just doing as I was told :)

This statement applies to just about my entire DIR equipment shopping and training experience :).

Sometime another option sound better or cheaper. However, it always seems to end up on the reject pile.

And with a chunk of cash/energy wasted - I head back to the original recommendation.

Again, it really should come down to *need*. Not everyone (including those diving DIR) *needs* a $200 reserve light. If you're not doing any overhead dives and just want something to use to peek into cracks or get you home on a night dive if the primary dies, just about any light will work. I still think twist-ons are more reliable than those with switches, but otherwise, many lights will work just fine in more benign conditions. I happily used a $20 Q40 until my T1 class. As I mentioned earlier, my Dorcy (just as bright as the HP Scout, a quarter of the cost) has served me well in shallower depths. For dives where reliability does matter, though, I'm happier taking a different light that just happens to cost more money. It's an unnecessary expense, though, for those not doing dives that demand that kind of reliability. If you have the money, however, no reason not to buy a light you'll be able to use if your diving takes you to a point where a more reliable light is warranted.

But buying $400 in reserve lights now to do easy reef dives probably isn't the best use of limited funds for many. A GUE-F class or some boat dives to gain more dive experience would likely be better expenditures (or a can light, or a dry suit, etc).

Doing as I'm told isn't something I'm real good at, but neither is spending money. Perhaps I'll get that Scout after all :)

Unfortunately, my only IRL DIR mate just decided to switch coasts to follow a girl, and I sort of feel bad about posting a message about every minute aspect of my diving career.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom