Reserve Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been meaning to get some spring straps from Pirhana, so perhaps I'll give the Dorcy a shot while I'm making an order. I don't suppose you know how it compares to the Impact XL (it's really my only reference point)? Is the Scout too focused to be a good backup rec light (as in, 'continue the dive' rather than 'survive to complain')?

Your point about the reliability of backup lights is well taken. I think perhaps I hadn't quite comprehended the gravity of any situation in which the backup light actually gets used.

I can't comment on the Impact XL, but I do have two Dorcy Penetrators. For their size, they are BRIGHT. A nice, focused bright spot in the center, and a nice, wide angle light cone as well. I don't tech dive, and I find that they're bright enough to use as a primary for night dives under my local conditions.

Doing as I'm told isn't something I'm real good at, but neither is spending money. Perhaps I'll get that Scout after all :)

Unfortunately, my only IRL DIR mate just decided to switch coasts to follow a girl, and I sort of feel bad about posting a message about every minute aspect of my diving career.

Dude, you live in mocal....there are TONS of DIR buddies to choose from :D

Seriously, it's a bummer that your buddy moved, but my guess is that all you've gotta do is ask if anyone local is interested in taking DIR curious diver out. I'd bet you'll have a number of offers (I know you would in socal for sure).

I've had similar thoughts regarding gear.

My plan has been to dive lots, and keep a close watch on the various forum's "for sale" boards.

I picked up 2 x 3C Scouts with bolt snaps for $100 from TDS

I was going to upgrade them to LED with the Dealsextreme LED drop-in modules but the bulbs are Xenon and SO bright with excellent throw that I think I'll leave them be and just dive some more.

If you're patient then bargains are out there - just don't snooze if you see something or you'll lose out (I have a few times).

Dude, you live in mocal....there are TONS of DIR buddies to choose from :D

I wish I would be so lucky. None unless I drive few hours :(

For my first set of backup lights I used a pair of Inova tactical lights that I had from my last deployment. They were plenty bright, but the atmospheric tailcap switch led to lots of self-activation at depth (and a stern lecture by the little old lady on the dive boat one night). I ended up getting a great deal on a pair of Salvo Rat LED lights and I loved them up until the point where someone else wanted one of mine more than I did :( . So now I'm rocking a Salvo Rat on one side, and a Photon Torpedo on the other side of my harness.

Keep your eyes out as like Kathydee and others have mentioned, good deals abound. I got my PTs for $50 here on SB, and my only complaint is that they aren't LED (old school Halogen models) but they are still plenty bright for around here. If nothing else, you can upgrade to LED later for on the cheap if you keep your eyes open.

As much of a pain in the butt as it seems, twist-on bezel really does work very well for underwater use. My Inovas were constantly self-activating on deeper dives: no good from a reliability standpoint as you want those batteries as fresh as possible. I have no concerns with the twist bezel lights, and as heavy as a 3C light may seem, they now feel comfy both on my harness and in my hand. Also, for those of us who may be shorter in stature, many makers of 3C lights (LM, Brand H, etc) make 2C lights of similar design.

Peace,
Greg

I've been testing the new UK SL3 lights, and they have been great backups for 50+ dives. They were quite a bit brighter than a friends Salvo Rat. I tied the boltsnap to the stainless loop on the back and they have been doing fine. Tight light spot too. I've been very pleased, especially given the price, which should be in your range. They seem to meet all DIR requirements.

SL3 eLED® LED dive light Underwater Kinetics

Good luck!

I've been testing the new UK SL3 lights, and they have been great backups for 50+ dives

A different perspective: a dive buddy on an NC dive trip had one of the (at the time newly released) UK SL3 lights with him. It flooded on the first dive and when we took a closer look the D-ring had "spread" to the point that it could be removed by hand as the D-ring isn't welded closed.

This was in the spring of this year, so UK may have changed the design since then.

Henrik

A different perspective: a dive buddy on an NC dive trip had one of the (at the time newly released) UK SL3 lights with him. It flooded on the first dive and when we took a closer look the D-ring had "spread" to the point that it could be removed by hand as the D-ring isn't welded closed.

This was in the spring of this year, so UK may have changed the design since then.

Henrik

Interesting, I was looking at those lights today while I was wasting time in the LDS (my girlfriend was wetsuit hunting) and compared them to my Salvo Rats that I had with me. I will keep that failure in mind, and I may just see if there is a workaround.

Peace,
Greg

Interesting. I went downstairs and pulled on the d-rings on both of mine, as hard as I could, and neither would budge. Surprised to hear of flooding too, mine has double O-rings. Hopefully UK had fixed any early issues, before I got mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom