Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adam K

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Been trolling the forums for a short time when researching potential vacations, but this is my first post on here. Looking for some input regarding our next vacation:

Time: Mid-March 2019, 7 nights

Options:

1. Cayman Aggressor V Liveaboard (Cayman Exploration Tour)

2. True Blue Bay Resort, Grenada (All-inclusive w/ Dive Package - about 17 dives through Aquanauts)

Because our diving experiences are limited, we are looking for some advice. The above 2 options are about the same in price, so which one is the better option? I'd like to see a good mix of wildlife and do some wreck diving too. We love the small luxury resorts - been to Utopia Village twice in Utila and absolutely loved it, but we also have had an outstanding experience on a luxury liveaboard (Scubaspa Ying in Maldives).

The only obvious PRO the liveaboard option has over the resort is the shorter travel time (around 4 hours vs 8.5 hours)

About Us:
- Been diving since March 2016, 87 dives, Advance Open Water/Nitrox
- Past diving trips include, Utila, Rangiroa/Bora Bora, Bonaire, Maldives Liveaboard, Red Sea Liveaboard
- I really do love a good mix of wildlife and shipwrecks - i get bored if the dives become predictable
- wife prefers the higher end places (not very concerned with pinching pennies here and there)

Thanks in advance for your input

Live-aboard vs. land-based alone raises the question of whether you guys like to do much exploring topside. I've done the Cayman Aggressor IV but not Grenada. While you wait for more specific answers, you might find some interesting info. in these threads:

Wanted: Information on Grenada (Nov. 2017).

DiveSergeant's Return to Grenada / Aquanauts Divers (April 2018). True Blue Bay is mentioned.

Help me choose a once in a lifetime scuba trip (April 2018). Post #7, by ChillyInCanada, discusses it.

Grenada Recommendations: dive shop and lodging? (Feb. 2018).

Aggressor Fleet has sales > 30% off frequently (in recent years at least annually, though there might be limited time frames for that price); I wouldn't pay regular price, so if you're not looking at a sale, and given that Grenada's a less frequented dive destination (judging from trip reports, articles, etc...), I'd be tempted to hit it as the more unusual destination, that get a Caymans trip when I could take advantage of a big sale.

Richard.

I've spent a lot of time in the Cayman Islands, none in Grenada, though I have looked into doing so. Cayman Aggressor V advertises up to 27 dives for the week, I'll be on it at the end of November and will let you know. My impression of Grenada is that is mainly about their wrecks, but I have no personal experience. @Wookie has a lot of experience in Grenada.

Live-aboard vs. land-based alone raises the question of whether you guys like to do much exploring topside. I've done the Cayman Aggressor IV but not Grenada. While you wait for more specific answers, you might find some interesting info. in these threads:

Wanted: Information on Grenada (Nov. 2017).

DiveSergeant's Return to Grenada / Aquanauts Divers (April 2018). True Blue Bay is mentioned.

Help me choose a once in a lifetime scuba trip (April 2018). Post #7, by ChillyInCanada, discusses it.

Grenada Recommendations: dive shop and lodging? (Feb. 2018).

Aggressor Fleet has sales > 30% off frequently (in recent years at least annually, though there might be limited time frames for that price); I wouldn't pay regular price, so if you're not looking at a sale, and given that Grenada's a less frequented dive destination (judging from trip reports, articles, etc...), I'd be tempted to hit it as the more unusual destination, that get a Caymans trip when I could take advantage of a big sale.

Richard.

THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION!!

We got married in Grenada, and dove there as well. It's a lovely island with lots to explore. We weren't super impressed with the diving there.

I worked in Cayman years ago and have been in both LC and CB in recent years. The diving around Little Cayman is superb.

I think your decision should boil down to this: If it's a dive trip, do the liveaboard. If it's a vacation, with some diving, go to Grenada.

Either way, you won't be disappointed.

I like the diving in Cayman, been there many times. We've done the Cayman Aggressor, good trip. They've changed to a new boat since then which looks nice. It's a good way to pack in a lot of dives which is harder to do land-based there. Many people are disappointed if the boat does not make the crossing to Little Cayman which is more likely to happen in winter. Not sure about the typical odds in March.

I wasn't impressed with what we saw of Grenada diving, though only did a day of dives there (last day of a liveaboard that used to be in that area.) More wrecks off Grenada though, but viz not as good as Cayman at least when we were there. Possibly more variety in the dives in Grenada even if they're not as "good" overall it kind of depends what your thing is. We stayed at True Blue for a few days, it was a nice enough but quirky (in a good way) place. Got good vibes and have always heard good things about the dive op there, but didn't dive with them - just a matter of being dove out and in more of a tour and have umbrella drinks by the pool mood by then.

I think topside Grenada is much more interesting than Grand Cayman. (Which I suppose doesn't matter much if you don't have time for any stay on land before or after the liveaboard, which is always a nice thing to do.)

We got married in Grenada, and dove there as well. It's a lovely island with lots to explore. We weren't super impressed with the diving there.

I worked in Cayman years ago and have been in both LC and CB in recent years. The diving around Little Cayman is superb.

I think your decision should boil down to this: If it's a dive trip, do the liveaboard. If it's a vacation, with some diving, go to Grenada.

Either way, you won't be disappointed.

That is a great way to look at it. We definitely have an emphasis on the diving portion. Thanks

I like the diving in Cayman, been there many times. We've done the Cayman Aggressor, good trip. They've changed to a new boat since then which looks nice. It's a good way to pack in a lot of dives which is harder to do land-based there. Many people are disappointed if the boat does not make the crossing to Little Cayman which is more likely to happen in winter. Not sure about the typical odds in March.

I wasn't impressed with what we saw of Grenada diving, though only did a day of dives there (last day of a liveaboard that used to be in that area.) More wrecks off Grenada though, but viz not as good as Cayman at least when we were there. Possibly more variety in the dives in Grenada even if they're not as "good" overall it kind of depends what your thing is. We stayed at True Blue for a few days, it was a nice enough but quirky (in a good way) place. Got good vibes and have always heard good things about the dive op there, but didn't dive with them - just a matter of being dove out and in more of a tour and have umbrella drinks by the pool mood by then.

I think topside Grenada is much more interesting than Grand Cayman. (Which I suppose doesn't matter much if you don't have time for any stay on land before or after the liveaboard, which is always a nice thing to do.)

Thank you for the input. Our emphasis for this vacation is definitely the diving and not so much the topside life. i like wrecks, but i like the wildlife more. we have been spoiled early in our diving experience by being able to go to some really good places. with only having a week's vacation in the spring and not having the time to head towards Indonesia, Philippines, or Thailand, we really are trying to get the best experience in .

That is a great way to look at it. We definitely have an emphasis on the diving portion. Thanks

My long time buddy and his SO are doing the Aggressor there in about a month I think. If you think of it, send me a note after that and let you know what he thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom