Resort owner shot and killed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anilao is very popular for technical diving, especially training: as you can reach any desired technical depth straight from the shore.
I would rather back roll in from the boat than a swim to the site. 5-10 mins on a banka is all I need in PG. Besides gearing up on the boat is far easier than on land or shallow water.

Fact versus Opinion. Know the difference...

Care to comment on the cost difference between a shore dive versus banka rental?

In Anilao? I can! Shore dive = around 900P. Bangka = 1500 to 2000 alone, without gear, depending on where you go and who you get.

Fact versus Opinion. Know the difference...

Care to comment on the cost difference between a shore dive versus banka rental?
Same as everywhere that I had dived in Philippines except Anilao, the boat charge is inclusive in the diving rate. No separate charges for the banka and dm.

---------- Post added August 30th, 2013 at 10:16 AM ----------

In Anilao? I can! Shore dive = around 900P. Bangka = 1500 to 2000 alone, without gear, depending on where you go and who you get.
I paid P1,000.00 for a dive in Subic and Moalboal. There is no such thing as boat charges.

Same as everywhere that I had dived in Philippines except Anilao, the boat charge is inclusive in the diving rate. No separate charges for the banka and dm.

Unlike Subic, Moalboal and PG, the cost of the boat and DM are NOT included in the diving rate (or they are bundled in and you have a sliding price scale for 1 to 4 divers). Anilao can become quite expensive if you are unable to find other divers to split the boat and DM rate with. Rates will vary slightly, but in March the rate through Scubabro was:

Boat = 2200 pesos (2 dives out)
Dive Master fee = 800 pesos per dive
Dive Pass or Dive Ticket (Mandatory) = 200 pesos per person/day

Unlike Subic, Moalboal and PG, the cost of the boat and DM are NOT included in the diving rate (or they are bundled in and you have a sliding price scale for 1 to 4 divers). Anilao can become quite expensive if you are unable to find other divers to split the boat and DM rate with. Rates will vary slightly, but in March the rate through Scubabro was:

In most places in the country from north to south there is no such thing as separated boat and guide charges. Anilao is unique here.

Yup, this is the practice in Anilao. Thats why I rarely go to Anilao during weekdays or without a group to join if I want to do the sites that require a banka. The banka fee is a fixed cost to be divided amongst the divers.

I love that we've gone from discussing whether or not to make a trip based on a violent crime to arguing metrics which have no bearing or influence on the decision. My group and I do not use price as a metric, nor are we so overweight and infirm that a walk with tech gear is an obstacle. We picked the resort for our own reasons and intend to travel there so long as its commercial viability and general safety are ensured.

I love that we've gone from discussing whether or not to make a trip based on a violent crime to arguing metrics which have no bearing or influence on the decision. My group and I do not use price as a metric, nor are we so overweight and infirm that a walk with tech gear is an obstacle. We picked the resort for our own reasons and intend to travel there so long as its commercial viability and general safety are ensured.

I suppose safety is never ensured but I can tell you I would not hesitate to go today and ~3 weeks ago when I was last there it was business as usual. I tend to use public transportation the whole way, bus, jeepney, tricycle, but private is always faster and more comfortable.

If you know the woman who was his live in partner, you may all be interested to know she is living the "high life" spending the money Matthew left her....but it will all be gone in a flash! She has bought a new car and is out on the town every night...really missing him I guess!! (not). I feel really sorry for Matthew who died with no justice, but his responsible partner should be doing more to bring those who caused this to justice, but instead of that she is enjoying her life without him, whoring around. After many years that these people lived together I really feel sorry for his REAL family, children, wife and relations but his so called "partner" is disrespecting his every act.

Back
Top Bottom