Retractors are they worth the money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you get a retractor, be sure there is lots of resistance to pulling it out. I have one hooked to my console that has 200+ dives on it and it still works well. It rests inside the BC pocket and comes out a hole in the front of the pockiet. Use double end snap on my other BC.

If your console is dragging on the reef your to close to the reef. If your retractor allows your console to drag on the reef, your to close to the reef. If your bungee/caveline/twine boltsnap thingy is not dragging the reef your probably to close anyway!

With good buoyancy control and proper propulsion technique there's no such thing as "too close to the reef" as long as you're not actually touching it.

Retractors don't do the job. Even if they worked perfectly, which they don't, they are too long when fully retracted. They leave your console dangling. I have a snap bolt attached to my console.

This is a good point with retractors. I use a small Cetacea that works fine. When choosing one, find one with the smallest length when retracted.

For this reason I don't like many of the commercial plastic attachment devices with various male-female disconnects and attachments. They're unnecessarily long and complicated. Bungee cord and the bolt snaps work better and simpler.

I dive with a computer on my right wrist and one in the console, and I find myself looking at the one on the console more than on the wrist, because the console also has the compass and air pressure, so one glance gives more info.

Adam

If you use a retractor make sure it has enough tension to keep your gear in place, I use a retractor Aqualung on my teaching gear and have never had any problems, on my SAR gear I use another set up but, then that is another world of diving.

I use one for my computer console and like it. Several that I tried were compact but not strong enough to hold the computer up tight which defeats the purpose. The larger ones are strong but because of the housing length hung too low when you are horizontal.

I tied the larger retractor housing flat across two BCD D rings. Now the computer stays tight to the vest and is easy to grab an view when needed.

Some experimention with retractors may needed to find a setup you like.

I think I buy mine at Lowe's. They are marked Stainless Steel and are about the same price as the LDS. Not all silver bolt snaps are Stainless Steel.

Carrie

Just for the sake of comparison, take a look at the picture below of two bolt snaps: one purchased at Home Depot and the other for a whopping $2 more from my LDS.

At the time the picture was taken the one on the left had accompanied me on more than 300 saltwater dives. The one on the right - with the handy "seized open" feature - had about 35 before I took it's picture and threw it away. (Note, that's not dried salt on the one on the right, it's genuine pitting. And, yes the dark area of wear inside the clip is where the steel was actually abraded away from rubbing on a D-ring.)

BoltSnap_1.jpg

Can you guess which was bought at Home Depot?

:eyebrow:

I know this will stir the pot, because lots of people will say they bought bolt snaps from Home Depot/Lowes/True Value...and they were fine. Not discounting their experience; just saying that you need to understand that not all bolt-snaps are created equal. Be sure to get something that is "marine grade" whether from an LDS, a boating shop, or a hardware store.

Back
Top Bottom