Retractors are they worth the money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go to Home Depot (or whatever equivalent hardware store you have in your area) and buy some mason's twine and a couple SS bolt snaps.

Just for the sake of comparison, take a look at the picture below of two bolt snaps: one purchased at Home Depot and the other for a whopping $2 more from my LDS.

At the time the picture was taken the one on the left had accompanied me on more than 300 saltwater dives. The one on the right - with the handy "seized open" feature - had about 35 before I took it's picture and threw it away. (Note, that's not dried salt on the one on the right, it's genuine pitting. And, yes the dark area of wear inside the clip is where the steel was actually abraded away from rubbing on a D-ring.)

BoltSnap_1.jpg

Can you guess which was bought at Home Depot?

:eyebrow:

I know this will stir the pot, because lots of people will say they bought bolt snaps from Home Depot/Lowes/True Value...and they were fine. Not discounting their experience; just saying that you need to understand that not all bolt-snaps are created equal. Be sure to get something that is "marine grade" whether from an LDS, a boating shop, or a hardware store.

So I have considered buying a retractor.

Great idea...

dive-gear-junkie.jpg

BTW - does your LDS actually need to ORDER a retractor? I can't imagine how slow the business must be in a shop that doesn't have 20 different retractors hanging on the wall.

Ok, I didn't mean to purchase the bolt snaps from Home Depot...just the mason's twine...

All my bolt snaps were purchased from my LDS...

Go to the LDS first for the bolt snap. Then...AFTER YOU PAY FOR THE BOLT SNAP...ask them if they can spare 6" of cave line to rig it!

I use a small retractor attached to my console with compass. It allows me to pull the thing out for navigation and move it around for viewing. One reason there is anti-retractor sentiment here, is that most here are anti-console. So you don't ask someone who hates consoles how to manage a console.

In the end you may get ideas from others but you have to think for yourself and figure out what works for you.

Adam

Greetings Skinsfan0260 and welcome to the dive community answer network!
In short as others have already said go for the Stainless bolt snap " a premium grade" and some cave line "masons line #36 will do" this will hold up very well. I removed my retractor and replaced it with my suggestion. Why did I take it off? It was very annoying because it was constantly getting snagged. Proper hose length and secure snap made it nice and tight / clean. When I dive it now it is not a problem.
Bungee is not bad but will break before cave line for sure. I use bungee for my alternate necklace which is another issue in it's self. A brief search will reveal the bungee necklace for alternate / octo.
Good luck and retractors can be expensive. They can be a tangling problem as well.
Safe diving to you let us know how it goes.
CamG keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Whatever choice you make, make sure the tool does the job and can be removed/pulled off with a strong tug in the event of a snag. I have strayed away from cave line and been using a zip tie, o-ring, or bungee for that very reason. Just my own opinion...

I considered using a retractor but instead went the cave line and bolt snap route. It's easy to do and cheap to replace if something happens to it. Here's how to tie one off in case you're not sure how to.

To expand on RJP's note about the bolt snaps, I've been using a Home Depot one for about 20 dives in freshwater and it's already rusting some. If you oiled it then it might last a bit longer but you would be better off buying a marine grade SS bolt snap.

I have an Aeris Atmos AI computer and have always done the tuck thing, but I also find myself spending a lot of time glancing down to ensure that I am not dangling, and have from time to time found it dangling more than I like. So I have considered buying a retractor. However I get the feeling from some of the posts I have read that this may be added to my list of things I wish I never purchased. My LDS will order me in one AKA you pay me now and take the risk that it is what you really want. This along with the fact that I am Canadian which means I get the privilege of paying four time what it would cost on line makes me hesitant to run out and grab one for me and my wife. So are they worth having or not. If so what kind would you recommend.

My wife used a retractor when she first stared diving about 10 years ago. After going through a couple I got her to using a SS bolt snap tied with braided line. She clips her computer off to her right chest D-ring now and she just has to glance down and can see everything. A small roll of line and a SS bolt snap should not cost more than $10 to $15 and it will last for years.

I use a SPG clipped on my left hip D-ring and wear a wrist mounted computer. At the dive shop we sell retractors mainly to newer divers.

My wife and I both have the small retractors on our SPG's and large ones for our camera. Both work just fine, for now. We have both been in close surroundings with no snagging so far. I have been wondering that if those things start breaking if I would replace or do something different? We also have SS bolt snaps on our BC's for tank banging, emergencies, etc., which I used one time for the camera, forgot the retractor. That kind of sucked that day but it worked. Maybe I will try the bolt snap and cave string thing and see how that works, see you guys on here have all the best info.
Now what do you use for your cameras, we just have a small SeaLife.

Back
Top Bottom