Reusing Desiccant Packs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have thought about the same question recently. I couldn't believe my eyes reading on the package that it calls for 2 hours at 450 degrees! If you bake regularly, that option is probably ok, just stick them in there with whatever you're baking. But if you're like me and never bake, would I fire up my oven and burn it at full throttle that long? I don't think so. I bet I would blow out way more money out the window for energy costs than I would have to spend on a new desiccant package. I have microwaved mine and it appeared to work. Just don't use full power and watch them. One or two minutes should do it.

I read somewhere (maybe here) where someone cut apart a Childs new diaper and put the material in a small perforated nylon bag to absorb leaks. Claimed great success.

As for desiccant packs, I go along with Doc, bake slow to dry and re-use. There is no real mystery with them but don’t expect them to protect your gear against a leak either. I use them when diving hot & humid locations – key word is humid.

FYI, I keep a tampon taped into the bottom of my housing, figuring that if I see a small leak, I'll try to direct the water flow in that direction to be absorbed.
David

Along those same lines - I'll bet an ultra-absorbent sanitary napkin would work even better. Those things soak up an amazing amount of fluid, and they have a sticky back so you don't even need extra tape!

(I haven't tried it - I hadn't thought past the dessicant bags - but maybe I will try it on my next trip.)

Along those same lines - I'll bet an ultra-absorbent sanitary napkin would work even better. Those things soak up an amazing amount of fluid, and they have a sticky back so you don't even need extra tape!

(I haven't tried it - I hadn't thought past the dessicant bags - but maybe I will try it on my next trip.)

The tampon is actually very discreet and not obvious - probably none of my friends even notice that it is in there. It basically looks like a short cylindrical bandage/piece of cotton, taped to the bottom corner of the housing. Its been in there for 1.5 years. Don't forget to cut the string off - wouldn't want it getting in the housing seal.

I think that a napkin would have much more in common with the diaper idea and may be less useful once it is cut to size and perhaps spills its absorbent guts.

David

The secret on using the microwave is just the same as with the oven --- don't overdo it and melt the packaging. The dessicant and the indicator seem to be pretty rugged. It's the semi-permeable (water vapor goes in/out while the dessicant stays in) packaging isn't very tolerant of heat.

Baking at 175F for a couple of hours is probably the best way, but I'm too impatient and find it easier to throw a dozen or so small dessicant packs into the microwave.

I either use short bursts (15-30 seconds depending upon microwave) or a couple minutes on the defrost cycle. Then let them cool while wiping up any drops of water left on the microwave platter. Then repeat the cycle a few more times or until you get bored.

It seems that the indicator turns back to blue well before you have gotten all of the moisture out.

I've recycled some packs a dozen or so times and they still seem to be fully functional, even the few where I got a bit over-agressive on the power levels and the packaging deformed a bit.

Tim and I leave our camera cases open when not in use.
Tim microwaves the packets for about 20-35 secs...
We use all we get from packaging...seems to work.
Hope this helps.
Kirsten

The tampon is actually very discreet and not obvious - probably none of my friends even notice that it is in there. It basically looks like a short cylindrical bandage/piece of cotton, taped to the bottom corner of the housing. Its been in there for 1.5 years. Don't forget to cut the string off - wouldn't want it getting in the housing seal.

I think that a napkin would have much more in common with the diaper idea and may be less useful once it is cut to size and perhaps spills its absorbent guts.

David

AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!:eek:uttahere

I just tried the baking method on my Sea Life Moisture Muncher capsules. @200 deg F for @2hrs worked! They are blue again!!! I'd tried shorter times before, and lower temps, without any luck till now. To think of how many of these capsules I have tossed in 5 or 6 years! Thanks to all for the suggestions, Jim

Back
Top Bottom