Review Off the Rack Bifocal Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To update my previous post . .. I learned to HATE the glued-in bifocals, because they made all photographs of me look like I was on Quaaludes. I now use a Dive Rite mask with ground-in bifocals. Yes, they are placed inferiorly with the idea of reading gauges. Yes, I can use them to look at little critters, if I orient my head right. And they don't have that stupid line across the mask in photographs!

I'm sorry to be a dumdum but what do you mean by "placed inferiorly." Does that mean your prescription part is the bottom portion of the mask? Is it a 50/50 split? Thanks for responding!

Yes the 'inferior' refers to the lower part of the lens. It is also more along the inner part of the mask nearer your nose. The mask works amazingly, I had one but I have a bony forehead and it didn't fit me right.

.. I learned to HATE the glued-in bifocals, because they made all photographs of me look like I was on Quaaludes
Lynne, please fwd by PM Rx for Quaaludes 90 day supply; Use Ad Lib. Anxiously awaiting. Many thanks - Tri

I recently got the Mares mask. Works z treat when I'm snorkeling but couldn't get a good seal at depth. Major flooding and not zble to clear properly. I suppose this is because the mask is too big for my little face? Or is it just a much higher volume mask than I've ever used before? Any tips will be appreciated.

To update my previous post . .. I learned to HATE the glued-in bifocals, because they made all photographs of me look like I was on Quaaludes. I now use a Dive Rite mask with ground-in bifocals. Yes, they are placed inferiorly with the idea of reading gauges. Yes, I can use them to look at little critters, if I orient my head right. And they don't have that stupid line across the mask in photographs!

Hi Lynne, Are you referring to the Dive Rite ES130 Gauge Reader mask with the +2 bifocal ($170 at DGX)? Also does "ground in" mean there is no ridge or line from the flat part to the bifocal?

Last edited:
Don't think that link works...?

Not surprising... seeing as it was posted more than eight years ago.

:d

PS - how was Bonaire trip?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom