Revolutionary type of fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They could have been mistaken. Where's the study to which you refer? I'm willing to look at it if it actually exists. So far, I've seen no evidence it does. Have you?

Can't say I've ever seen the study - I bought Force Fins because of my size, not because of any Navy claims. The Force Fins website has a reference to it - http://www.forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/navy.htm - and it would be fairly easy to verify or disprove since a public university under government contract supposedly conducted the research. The research, if real, was conducted over 10 years ago, and there's been ample time to disprove it's existence. All I know is Force Fins work well in many circumstances if you have patience and time to develop the right touch.

I f the Navy had determined they were the most efficient fin, wouldn't it make sense that they'd want their divers using them?

It appears to be a study by the State University of New York, not the US Navy. It also appears the results are inconsistent. Further, it shows that according to the criteria it shows each of the 4 fins tested came out in 1st place depending on speed (BTW, velocity is used in the study when speed is the correct term). None of the fins tested (we don't know which other two fins were in the study) appear significantly better or worse than the others. I would also question the practibility of testing for speed.

Have you seen the ANU list? The Navy has authorized the use of several different types of regs, BC's, etc. I don't recall seeing fins on the list, but I'm sure it's the same way. Plus they're more of an individual item, with divers preferring one brand over the other for no other reason than comfort. I've seen footage of Navy divers using Force Fins, Jet Fins and others... Heck, less than a year ago, History Channel showed Navy divers exploring a newly discovered shallow relic in the South Atlantic using doubles, *no* bladder, and Tan Delta Force Fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom