riding on mantas and other animals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the best dives I’ve done was the Manta Dive with Kona Diver’s on the Big Island of Hawaii. The DM’s expressly told us not to touch the Manta’s, bare hands or not. We were told they have a mucus layer that protects them from disease. As far as harassing them Manta’s and rays? In areas where people feed them they seem to love the human contact rubbing up against divers like hungry cats. Although I’d love to ride one I’ve always declined. Riding dolphins seems to bug me less. If dolphins had opposing thumbs we’d all be in gill nets or in cans labeled Dolphin safe humans.

What about riding on horses, cows, etc.......

bob1dp:
One of the best dives I’ve done was the Manta Dive with Kona Diver’s on the Big Island of Hawaii. The DM’s expressly told us not to touch the Manta’s, bare hands or not. We were told they have a mucus layer that protects them from disease. As far as harassing them Manta’s and rays? In areas where people feed them they seem to love the human contact rubbing up against divers like hungry cats. Although I’d love to ride one I’ve always declined. Riding dolphins seems to bug me less. If dolphins had opposing thumbs we’d all be in gill nets or in cans labeled Dolphin safe humans.

Next, men will be saying these things about their wives! :eyebrow:

I have heard the same thing about the Mantas regarding the mucous layer. I was told when they first started the manta dives in Hawaii, everyone handled them, and many of them got sick.

I, for one, really appreciate a hands-off attitude. I honestly can't understand why it's necessary to touch something in order for the encounter to be more special. YMMV.

Gregg

People,

I'd like to remind you of the PG 13 rating here on SB.

Just in case you were wondering where those risque posts/remarks went.

Thank you.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress...

I read one diver's account of a Caribbean trip during which he met a huge manta with a rope tied around it, and cut the rope off. He said the rope must have been on the manta for a very long time, because it was embedded in the flesh. Since the humans freed the manta from a painful "thorn", it must have regarded them as a kind of large cleaner fish, and would actually come up under them to let them ride it.

i know NOTHING about sharks or rays so heres some common sense.....

If a manta didnt want people on it is it powerfull enough to get rid of them? is it stupid enough to let it happen again if it doesnt like it? - smae for a whale shark.

Either the animal is capable of a getaway or so stupid that it doesnt know its being annoyed...in which case it isnt!

As for mucus on big fish like sharks and matas.....if they are badly affected by a human hand how on earth do they cope when getting bashed by other big fish when feeding/mating???

again...no expert so if my common sense is wrong please explain!

You might conclude that a fish isn't bothered /stressed/whatever by your presence or your touch if it comes to you of its own accord. But you can do damage to an animal by feeding it stuff that it likes but can't handle. A good example is feeding eggs to Napoleons. They like it a LOT, and it makes a nice spectacle for the divers to see these normally uninterested creatures come up close begging for more. But after a while they'll float to the surface belly up, as their intestines can't cope with the unusual diet.

Art

Domestication (and that's what this amounts to) isn't really appropriate IMO for wildlife in the wild. Animals aren't always known for their wisdom, domestication can further tilt that scale. Who hasn't at some point in their life known of a dog that was 100% loyal to an abusive owner?

Local diving lore has it that a diver was speared through the heart by a big sting-ray off Manado some years back (I was there only a year after - a local resort owner whom I've dived with extensively and have no reason to disbelieve told this).

Allegedly the man was trying to "ride it" and as it turned and darted away the tail just caught him in the chest and killed him, right there.

I don't know if Stingers can use their tails like this as a defensive reflex or whether it was just accidental - but it's tragic all the same.

Anyhow I think the point of the story is kind of self-evident.

Santa

Back
Top Bottom