Right calf cramps. Why? solutions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bosshogg357:
I went diving these past two weekends. I am a new diver(or at least return from a long time ago). I am in my early 30's. I have gotten a right calf cramp during each dive. It seems to start relatively quickly in the dive. I then grab the tip of my fin to relieve it. I then feel it lurking the rest of the dive just waiting to cramp up again. I try to use that leg less so it will go away but it seems to be just barely under the surface. It tends to be sore the next few days from the cramp (or stretching to relieve the cramp).

I have apollo split fins.

Any suggestions as to what I might do to help prevent the cramp in my right calf?

Thanks!

My solution was:

1. Stretch before every dive. Do a full 30 second calf stretch on each leg.
2. When you are done stretching, STRETCH AGAIN 'cause I bet you cheated and did not do 30 seconds.
3. As everyone else has been saying, stay hydrated and get enough potassium. I personally hate those sports drinks, so I agree with Kriterian and say EAT A BANANA!

Good luck.

Ok as everyone else said plenty of Water both in and around ya. the more you swim with fins the easrier it gets. Strech and then do it again. Watch the potassium. Also might try a cal/mag/zinc combo.

I used to get cramps in my legs when I had a "cheap" set of fins. they cramped both my legs. When I changed fins to a better pair, the cramps went away.

I'm amazed nobody has mentioned this already, I'm a sports therapist, and I've worked with sports individuals and teams for quite a while now.
Go get some deep tissue massage done. It is true that hydration is the main cause for cramping (as the body will sacrifice water from muscle to use in more vital areas of the body). But if you have lots of knots and congestion in your tissue, hydration won't mean as much!
Have you ever had a previous injury to that muscle, or even that whole leg that you can remember?

Dave

i had same problem. used three things to solve my problem:

1. i drink half a litre of water with three spoons of sugar and a pinch of salt befor every dive.
2. stretch my leg muscles before every dive.
3. walk atleast 4 clicks every day in the gym to strengthen calf muscles.

Hydration, nutrition and stretching are all good things but this is a muscle under stress. It needs more exercise. It's amazing how certain activities can zero in on muscles that are under used.

A lot of posts mention the problem going away as they did this and that but they were also diving concurrently. Get out there and dive, If you don't have a buddy available consider a skin-dive or get in the pool and do some laps with fins on your feet. The leverage of a fin on your foot is a whole new thing for your body and this is just another part of your adaptation.

Pete

Looks like this has been well covered. To sum it up:
1. Physical Conditioning - exercise more
2. Strech before exercise including SCUBA
3. Hydration
4. Proper nutrution - eat bannas or any of the other potasium rich foods

Thanks for all your help! I have been diving many times since my original post and the calf stretching was the fix I needed. Stretching just prior to diving fixed it. I do a 30-60 second stretch on each calf just prior to entering the water. Sorry it took me so long to write and to say thanks.

pasley:
Looks like this has been well covered. To sum it up:
1. Physical Conditioning - exercise more
2. Strech before exercise including SCUBA
3. Hydration
4. Proper nutrution - eat bannas or any of the other potasium rich foods

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom