Rigid Inflatables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mooseman17

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone own a RIB (Rigid Inflatable) in the ocean?
I'm considering buying one for diving. Any opinions?

Thank you.

They're great for the ocean, just keep all the sharpe objects properly stowed. They hold on to the water and are very difficult to capsize. In rough seas, you can intentionally let in some water to really hold them down.

They also have more drag for a given size boat and will need more power. The fiberglass hull versions have less drag and cut the water better that than the detachable deck or inflatable hull versions, but are also more expensive and harder to find used.

Own a 5 meter Tornado w/90hp 2 stroke. Prop'ed to go 35 knots w/2adults, 30 knots w/4 divers including gear. Top speed could be "Much" higher if it weren't for the gear hauling. Great as long as you don't mind being close to your buddies and not particulary comfortable for any sort of long SI. If I had it to do over, I would look for a 20-24 foot centerconsole or walkaround cuddy with a long cockpit. Alot more boat and a lot more comfortable for a day on the water. We really treat the rib as a dive assault vessel: All Kitting up on shore with the exception of pulling your sleeves on, tear *** to dive site, zip up suit, pull on harness, back role off. We usually dekit in water to easy getting back aboard. Then, tear *** to next site or back home. No lolly gagging about on the RIB it's just not very comfortable. If we're spending a half day or more out on the water, with lunch during the SI, or anyone that's interested in getting some sun, etc. Then, we look for one of our friends 20-24 footers.

Since when can you not say *** on scubaboard?

Thank you all for the information. The boats I'm looking at are made by Nautica Intl in Ft Lauderdale, FL, and Ribcraft from the NE.
The cat model seems to be well designed for diving.

I have a 18 fter rib with a 115 hp on back and we go out in 3 to 5ft seas all the time while the rest stays home. Once you have a system down 3 to 4 divers work pretty well and if any of them ******es it is a long swim back. Low to the water line so hanging gear and getting in and out is easy. Also easy to trailer and launch

I have owned no less than ten RIBS and currently I have a 16' Zeppelin with an OMC 70hp.
Ribs have huge benefits for diving. they are very stable and experience way less roll than other boats of comparable size. This makes them easier to gear up in. They are fast and agile. They can run in very little water making crossings across the flats to get to those shallow reefs a breeze. Their light weight means you can anchor them securely with less worry of having them break free during your dive.

Drawbacks include, you lose 4 feet of interior beam on average becaue you have these huge inflatable tubes taking it up. You HAVE to maintain them. UV damage will kill a RIB faster than anything else.

The nauticas seem better layed out for recreational boating with the family. Very ill suited to diving. Too much clutter in the interior space to have to manuever around while getting geared up. Look for a wide open Center Console. You'll be much happier. Also, you live in FL so DO NOT BUY A ZODIAC. They are made from PVC and our semi-tropical sun will destroy them in a few years. (PVC hardens and cracks) Make sure you get a hypalon boat.

Back
Top Bottom