ringed dry gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nice-diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry to ask the same question as the past

I am interested in dry gloves for my drysuit. I probably won't need them eight months of the year, but they would probably be nice when the air and water are both 39 degrees F.

What dry glove systems are you diving??
What have you used in the past??
What about liners/or fuzzy innards??
Life of seals being streatched??
Use with wet gloves or remove the suit ring??

I am thinking the OS systems or the Ocean Concepts. The si tech looks huge and I need to be able to use these by myself.

thank you

I bought an after market set of Si-tek rings and just bought water-tight gloves off the shelf in a hardware store. Some people tell me they don't like the rings because they're kind of big, but I never notice them. Just install them as high up on the seal as you can. With these rings you leave the seal intact so you can wear wet gloves too if you want. Also, leaving the seal intact is very important for your safety. If you somehow get a leaking glove and you've removed the seal then you compromise the whole suit. With the seal intact you only get a wet hand. If it trashes the seals or not isn't really interresting. As long as you're not removing and re-installing the rings all the time the seals with go for their normal life span.

As for the gloves, buy gloves that do *not* have a liner in them and just use normal knitted gloves in them that you can buy in any dept. store. You don't wan tht liner in the glove because if it gets wet then they take longer to dry. If I'm making several dives on a day then I'll bring several sets of liner gloves with me so I always start the dive with dry hands.

R..

I started with the OS Systems gloves and rings. After two broken rings I switched to the old Viking rings. I like them much more. Fewer parts to malfunction and heavier duty. They are also a bit larger for the bigger hands. And gloves from Home Depot work well with them. Not a drop has entered either.

I use the RoLock system from Nordic Blue and get on with them really well.

I use the lightweight knitted liners in summer and heavier qualofil liners in winter.

Dom

I have the the Viking Bayonet system. My hands have been warm and dry since I put them on. Very easy to use and won't leak. My understanding is that they are hazmat approved. The blue Atlas gloves are about $4 at the local fishing/gear supply and the liners can also be bought there as well. I use the white shirt knit liners. Two if it is very cold. They cost about $2 pair. The only thing that would make these better is if I could buy just the glove side rings as a backup. They only take a few minutes to reinstall the new glove if you happen to rip the before you get in the water.

Still thunbs up for the Bayonet.

I also use this kit and recommend it. I use Polartec gloves under Atlas gloves. Purchased the Viking rings from Bob, a Viking dealer who gives excellent customer service.

http://comdive.com/endurotech.htm

I use the si tec rings, down to 34 degrees. No built-in liners (can't change 'em between dives if wet, and takes forever to dry). I use the fuzzy yellow liners in water above 50 degrees, and switch to a bigger gloves with a fat fleece glove in water in the 30's and 40's.

I buy replacement gloves from Seattle Marine for a few bucks a pair.

Diving Comcepts gloves. I dive in SoCal, and I dive they year-round. Mostly to keep dry. In the summer I just dive them without any liners.

I LOVE them. Snap on. Snap off. Easy to install. The best.

I don't use the yellow liners - way too big. I use a set of possum fur gloves some great dive buddy gave me.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
I use a set of possum fur gloves some great dive buddy gave me.
You mean like these?? How are they? First I've heard of possum fur gloves.

Another vote for the Viking bayonet system.

Disadvantages: Rings are very large. The suit-side rings DO stretch the seals. My Mobby's suit seems to have tolerated that very well, but my DC seals started showing cracks within a couple of weeks. Expensive.

Advantages: Positive lock system. They CANNOT come loose or off in the water. I am the only person I dive with who hasn't had a glove flood. Switching out gloves takes about three minutes and requires no tools. Easy to don/doff by yourself.

I use the green Atlas gloves, and use cheap polarfleece gloves as a liner. You really don't want lined gloves -- a pinhole leak, and you have a wet, miserable glove that is highly likely to stink by the time it's dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom