Risk and Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psychoted

Reaction score
Ceres South Africa (mountains and fruit juices)
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All passionate risktakers of underwater photos and videos

Have you ever thought of measuring the risk you take to get the shot in? If you are a "Neophiliac" and you are constantly seeking for adventure and "Adrenalin experiences" under the surface, this one is for you. I invented the following "RISK SCALE" to test your behaviour and experience with an underwater camera. Rate youself with a specific moment you captured under water and share it with us.

RISK SCALE

Number One: I feel this is for FUN
Number Two: I feel this is to good to be TRUE
Number Three: I feel FREE
Number Four: I feel I am ready to SOAR
Number Five: I feel there is no end to this DIVE
Number Six: I feel I am in a FIX
Number Seven: I feel I am in HEAVEN
Number Eight: I feel I am at the GATE

Just as an example go to my viedeo link at VIMEO: Raggie Close Up on Vimeo
and see a five, a six and a seven posted there. The one with the "Raggie Close Up" came very close to a eight.

See you where fear and excitement create adventure experiences

Go shoot from the hip. Bill Skinner

Did you really felt in danger during this dive ???
I'll go next year in Australia and hope to dive with grey nurse sharks, I don't want to dive with them for adrenalin or anything like that, just to try to shoot good pics.
I dove with grey sharks, whale sharks, , hammerhead sharks, even a big hammerhead shark ( Mokarran), white tips , tresher sharks ,or nurse sharks but I never felt any danger..I felt the danger just one time with an oceanic shark ( longimanus) in the Red Sea.

UW photo can be dangerous, yes, if you take more care for your pics than for your depth, dive time and gas level.

Thanks for sharing this nice video.

I thought those were Sand Tiger sharks?

Whats a Ragged Tooth? Are they related?

I think they are all the same shark - just different local names.

I didn't watch the vid yet (sorry, not really connected just yet) but can honestly say that diving with sharks is pure pleasure and no fear or trepidation for the most part :wink:

I thought those were Sand Tiger sharks?

Whats a Ragged Tooth? Are they related?

Yes ! Veeeeery confusing for a french surching on the web...

I think that ragged tooth shark is the south african name, sand tiger shark is american and grey nurse shark is australian.
In french we say " requin taureau" ( from carcharias taurus), wich means bull shark ! So, another confusion : if you translate it, you talk about what we call the " requin boulledogue" ( bulldog shark...), and this one is really dangerous for humans leaving by the muddy rivers.

So, psychoted, if you want to take risks, that's the sharks you have to dive with : in Cuba for example, or in few other Carrabean countrys. But be carrefull, they had few accidents during thoose sharks feedings.
(this is not something that I would like to do, and fear is not the reason)

but can honestly say that diving with sharks is pure pleasure and no fear or trepidation for the most part
03.gif

This is the message that every diver should give.
If we continue to associate fear and sharks, we wont have anymore sharks to dive with in few decades.
And if only it was just a question of diving...:(

The way I understood the OP, the risk was actually related to the experience being so great you may forget everything else (like depth, ndls, gas and so on)?

The way I understood the OP, the risk was actually related to the experience being so great you may forget everything else (like depth, ndls, gas and so on)?

You may be true.

But this could make me believe that the risk comes from the shark himself :

The one with the "Raggie Close Up" came very close to a eight.

Hi Erwin

These experiences underwater are just the levels of exitement that differs from person to person. enjoy. Some people find watching the photos you take as a seven on the adrenalin scale. Whilst you are able to find a stunning underwater cave being a number seven. As with all outdoor adventures the experiences all have their measure of risk. It's like standing in the door of an aeroplane ready for a parachute jump. Your exercise level is zero but your heart rate is considerably faster. There is always a measure of uncertainty combined with the excitement of the jump--or in our case the dive. This uncertainty always has a measure of fear as a part of the experience. Some people miss out on underwater experiences because the fear overcomes their excitement. You and I find the excitement and the surprise of every dive quite attractive and our fear is minimized by our safety measures, skills and regular diving.

The sharks are known as Carcharias Taurus. They are known in different parts of the world as Grey Nurse Sharks, Sand Tiger Sharks and Ragged Tooth Sharks.

By the way: Sharks do not create fear. And so for anything in nature. It is our own inner reaction we create when we do not feel in control in situations and when we are too far removed from our own comfort zone.

Hope you have many years of experiences that take you up and down the Risk scale

Happy to steal some of your wisdom Psychoted

Erwan...Erwin ( pronounce air veen) is german, Erwan ( pronounce air one) is celtic.:)

OK, I do agree with you. Sorry that I missunderstood.

South Africa is worldwide known for it's efficient shark protection, I was surprised to read a south african saying that grey nurse sharks ( ragged tooth, sand tiger sharks...) were dangerous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom