Risks and Root Causes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't go into further training until you have your basic skills down. I have seen a number of divers take "advanced training" while still needing to get vertical to clear a mask or recover a reg. If you cannot perform basic skills while hovering or swimming in good trim you need to work on that first. Get a mentor or ask an instructor who knows how to do these things themselves and teach others how to (some don't or choose not to) before going into any advanced type training.

Most likely ways to get hurt:

Descending too fast.

Ascending too fast.

Getting stung. (much more likely than getting bit)

Cutting hand. (wear gloves and be careful of sharp metal)

Getting hooked by vine, string, fishing line, wire. (take scizzors and knife)

Getting hit in the head by a bouncing boat hull.

Your actually more likely to get hurt driving to the dive site.

But as a new diver plan your dive, dive conservatively, stay shallow, practice your skill set till you have them off pat. All ways equalize before you start to descend and keep equalizing before you feel any pressure on your ears. Monitor depth and SPG, don't allow anyone to pressure you in to doing anything your uncomfortable with. Your there to have fun, so enjoy.

Mostly rehash now but:
- Failure to plan a dive according to capability and then diving that plan
- Panic underwater when things don't go to plan (then running out of air or rapid ascent)
- Failure to know how to use equipment, poor equipment, or misused equipment

Any of these can happen even to the most experienced diver. These same things apply to many other sports that are motor skill or equipment intensive. Flying, skydiving, mountain climbing.

As a new diver myself, I feel I am superbly qualified to add my list of traumas. The first thing to get hurt was my pride, this type of injury is especially bad when you have just thrown up over your new buddy because you are seasick. It was also pride that caused my next injury, I was descending too fast after an entry I was not feeling comfortable with and hurt my ear drum. The next diving related injury was to my car after hitting a pot hole on the way to a dive site. I hurt my pride once again, there is a pattern here somewhere, when I fell over after putting my fins on while trying to get into the water at the quarry. My most grievous injury was the sunburn after my pool session.

I think that the root cause was mostly "not having a clue".:)

One that I haven't noticed being mentioned yet is falling during shore entries. If you dive somewhere that has rocks, a lot of wave action, the awkward, clumsy weight of your gear is an invitation to fall.

Results of that could be a bruise to your pride or your backside, or it could result in a serious cut, or even drowning if you can't get back up. It's a good idea to keep your reg in your mouth during entries/exits.

Most common dive injury: ear barotrauma

Current and surge are two things you must be aware of. You can be pushed into sharp objects (sea urchins) below the surface, and you can be slammed into rocks by surge on the surface.
I've seen people with a knee/elbow full of urchin spikes - not fun.
I've helped someone that got smashed into a rock face due to a powerful wave - also not fun.

Be aware of what is going on around you.

Good luck diving!!!

I think you got some very good and important advice to your OP. Just to expand on 'the boat ladder.' In calm seas, it's no problem coming up the ladder. Normally (99-44/100%) the mate(s) will help you remove your fins, and you can go to your spot on the boat. Cake.

On rough days, be very cognisent of how the ladder will pound in the ocean. That tag (Gerry) line is there for a few reasons. The obvious is to be able to grab it to keep from drifting in the current at the back of the boat. And the boat will pay out a very good length of it for your use. But it's also to keep back from under the ladder when another diver is boarding. If the diver falls (and I've seen it and done it), you are in for a world of hurt or worse, if you happen to be under them (the mate will typically be screaming at you). Stay back, and the mate will signal you in after the diver on the ladder clears the transom.

Also time the ladder when it's your turn. You will get an idea of the timing of the swells, and you will know when to get your fins on the pegs. Get ready for a little ride. It's nothing to freak out about, just take your time. Keep you regulator in your mouth until you are well IN the boat.

Just watch the divers around you, learn from the experienced guys, and don't be afraid to ask some questions (virtually all experienced divers will give you a little good advice). We were all new once, and it's better to learn from good conversation then the 'school of hard knocks (I've had a few classes there).'

One other really good point. Stay out of the sun, cover up and/or use sunblock. Putting on a wetsuit with a mild to severe burn going on sucks. I've cancelled a dive because of it. That really sucked! You'll do fine.

Safe diving to you.

Last edited:
I would like to explore one of the items mentioned previously and lead to what I think is the biggest problem new divers face.

Let's start with running out of air.

Interestingly enough, running our of air itself is not what usually causes the problem--it is what happens next.

Many new divers run out of air when they first start to do deeper dives and and don't realize how fast they go through their air. As you learned in your OW class, if you go to 100 feet, you will go through your tank in about half the time you did at 33 feet. New divers are often surprised by that, and they are shocked when they finally look at a gauge and see how low they are or, worse, feel their regulator suddenly getting very hard to breathe.

So we have an emergency, but it is what happens next that matters.

Hopefully that diver has stayed near a buddy and can get help. It is important to remember that once an alternate air source is obtained, the emergency is really over. Check your buddy's air to make sure there is enough for the two of you and make a calm, controlled ascent together. There is no reason to make a panicked claw to the surface now. A panicked claw to the surface is more dangerous than the OOA emergency was to begin with.

But what if you made another beginner error and strayed too far from your buddy? The tendency is to make a panicked sprint for the surface, perhaps holding your breath. That breath-holding sprint to the surface is the most dangerous thing in scuba. If you read the DAN fatality reports, you will see that an embolism is a leading cause of death, and embolisms are born of such actions.

Depending upon which agency certified you, you were probably taught to do a CESA, and you should have been taught that it can and should be done from recreational depths in a calm and controlled manner, exhaling all the way. You may not have been taught that your tank is not actually out of air. The problem is that the regulator must deliver it at more than the pressure you are under from the water at your depth. As you ascend to less water pressure, your regulator will be able to give you some air. Finally, even if you lost the tank and had absolutely nothing in your lungs or nothing to breathe, there is enough oxygen in your blood to get you to the surface without breathing.

Thus, even in the worst OOA scenario in open water, there is no reason to panic. You will get to the surface and all of its air just fine, assuming you don't lose control and make that panicked, breathless, embolism-inducing sprint.

Once you are on the surface, the problem is not over. There have been several stories recently of divers reaching the surface in just such a situation, panicking because they could not inflate their BCD with their inflator, and then submerging because they could not stay afloat. Once again, you were taught everything you need to know in your OW class to avoid this:
  • If that is happening to you, then you were overweighted from the start. A diver with an empty tank should float easily on the surface with minimal to no swimming effort. If you have done a proper weight check before diving, this cannot happen to you.
  • You can easily inflate your BCD orally. You should have had to do that several times in your pool sessions and at least once in your OW certification dives.
  • You can drop your weights. If you drop your weights while wearing normal OW gear, you will not be able to sink, even if you try.

In summary, the most significant problem a new diver faces comes when he or she panics in an emergency and forgets all that training received while certifying. Panic is your greatest enemy.

Back
Top Bottom