River Diving ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silverback784

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I do dive in the Tennessee River in Chattanooga occasionally. Usually to help with Earth Day but have been wanting to explore further. Here is my question: Say I and another diver are going across the channel with a Dive Flag . A Tug boat is traveling the river (quite often during the summer) They usually draft somewhere around 12 to 18' and the channel is only 23' deep. Would they stop if they see the flag ????? What do you do as a diver if you get caught in the channel with a very small area to navigate and a Large boat approaching ??????

No actual experience in this type of dive but....

I would write "DIVER'S DOWN" on your flag. If the tug boat sees the flag and doesn't know what it means, chances are they may use a pair of binoculars see the writing, if they're far away enough.

Other than that you can carry an smb with you as well. If you hear a boat, launch your SMB. No one can deny seeing another floaty popping up next to a flag. They'll have to know someone is below that flag.

Please do not expect a tugboat to stop for a dive flag because it quite likely can't stop in any reasonable distance.

I wonder if, legally speaking, a diver is a boat in the same way that a bicycle is a vehicle? If you are a one-man submarine you would be required by the rules of the road to give way to a large vessel or a tug with a tow maneuvering in a narrow channel.

Sounds like a very poor idea. And I surely wouldn't count on a tug boat stopping because they saw a flag or SMB.

I have been in the Ohio river with our local Dive/Rescue team, but we had the luxury of having traffic stopped. If there is alot of traffic, and that small amount of clearance...I would suggest staying out of the river. I suspect that the odds of a tug crew recognizing, and stopping for a dive flag are pretty slim. It sounds like an accident waiting to happen, IMHO.

Please do not expect a tugboat to stop for a dive flag because it quite likely can't stop in any reasonable distance.

I wonder if, legally speaking, a diver is a boat in the same way that a bicycle is a vehicle? If you are a one-man submarine you would be required by the rules of the road to give way to a large vessel or a tug with a tow maneuvering in a narrow channel.

Good point. I didn't think if it'd be easy for a tug boat to stop on a dime. Those things have quite a bit of mass to them.

As to your right of way example:
I would consider it so. Just because you're moving under your own body's power, it gives you no right to have ultimate right of way. If you're more maneuverable, then it should be up to you to take control and get out of the way of any lumbering giants; tug boats and cars included.
I think everyone should do an equal part in accident avoidance.

I used to live on the Mississippi River along the MN/WI border and worked as a senior deck hand on a river boat, and I can tell you --if the question were about the Mississippi River-- the answer would be a huge "NO."

You can't see anything, the current is usually pretty nasty in a river, there are unseen threats, rip-raps along the shore, confusing marker buoys, and the drunk boaters will kill you if the barges don't.

Find yourself a good lake or quarry, but I'd stay away from the rivers. They're creepy.

I would not count on anyone seeing your smb, never mind stopping for it.

My experience of smbs off Jeddah in Saudi Arabia is that locals will use it as a marker to turn around with their jet skis

Sounds like death wish to me.

There are laws in Florida that disallow diving in shipping lanes. You may want to check your local ordinance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom