Rix Sweet Air SA-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dawgdirt

Registered
Reaction score
I just bought a RIX Sweet Air Oil Free Breathing Air Compressor.
The model is a SA-6 rated at 6.5 CFM, 5 hp 230V 1 Phase the dimensions
are: 30"L x 19" x 18"H and Approx 200lbs. It looks like it is in
pieces and I do not have it yet so we will see. Most of the parts are missing but I hope to hunt some down. RIX sent me the 2008 Part list and Owners manual.
I have Posted Those at the Yahoo Groups Compressor_Team Files.

Photos are there as well. here are a couple:
Rix SA-6 Pict 1.jpg

Rix SA-6 Pict 5.jpg

Does anyone have any spare parts for one of these? The RIX factory authorized facility in San Diego is scary expensive. $3K PLUS Parts.

Thanks,
Steve

I don't know of any after market parts for the Rix. If they are like Bauer, the best a distributor (if any actually exist) can expect from them is a 15% to 20% break.

Craig

Where are you ? San Diego? I have a friend in FL who has a Rix that would cost you about half that price and it runs. You could put them both together and have one good unit with some spare parts.

I have never seen a Rix in real life although I have heard of them, I imagined they were conventional piston units, but this unit looks quite differant? What interests me is the concept of oil free, I cant imagine how they get HIGH PRESSURE like 4500psi without oil for cooling.?

Interesting unit for sure.

The oil isn't for cooling as much as lubrication.

Rix has a good reputation and they are used in the industrial gas market pretty extensively.

They do require rebuild quite a bit more than an oil lubed unit like a Bauer, which for the home brewer is probably not a big deal. I have never rebuilt one but have heard once you have done it, it is a snap.

Widget, you can google "swash plate" compressor and get an idea of the principles. The RIX construction includes PTFE rings and reed valves. Atmospheric water provides some lubrication and cooling but no oil circulation to carry away heat, just forced air. Some rotating parts are lubed with a special grease. A number of divers like the RIX oil free constuction but it is not recommended for pumping oxygen or NITROX although the latter is a common usage. I heard that a custom unit modified in England is advertised for oxygen service. Instead of oil changes and routine service typical of an oil lubed compressor, RIX service consists of replacing rings and some hard parts after 200-400 hours. I'm told that service is fairly simple to carry out.

Oh, okay, I pondered the system on the flight over and thought it may be a "screw" type unit,............ but interesting, not a system I am familiar with at all.

Every 400 hours would be quite a lot of servicing for a commercial operation if you consider say, Bauer who only recommends oil / valve etc changes at around 1000 hours.

A detailed manual with good sketches is posted at the Yahoo groups "Compresor_Team" files.
Hey Friggincold...I would like to talk to your friend with the RIX. The GSA Warehouse checked and the mechanic who tore it down just threw the parts away. Bummer.

Thanks,
Steve

The third stage opv and the back pressure regulator are available from Aqua Environment for roughly half what Rix charges. Also the third stage opv could be to for use as a 2nd stage opv for roughly 1/3 what Rix charges. When I rebuilt my first Rix, I also did a search for the rod end bearings. I didn't need them, but if I remeber correct I found them for much cheaper as well.

If you can get a running SA-6A for $1500 plus shipping, jump on it that's a steal! I've never rebuilt mine, but from what I've heard too, it's pretty much plug 'n play if the core was serviceable when it was torn down. Might be worth a try yourself or for another compressor mechanic. How much are the missing parts? Was that $3K (labor) PLUS parts, or $3K+ for parts? $3K for labor seems unbelievable.

When I got mine, I had trouble with moisture in my dive tanks, even though I drained the coalescers every 15-20 minutes. I can't say for sure it was the compressor air, but from what I understand an oil lubricated compressor will have moisture scavenging media in the filters and therefore drier air than what comes out of your RIX. I added filters to mine and haven't seen any more moisture but maybe the more knowledgeable on this forum will weigh in on the need for moisture scavenging.

If you decide not to build this one up and want to sell it, drop me a line. I've been wanting to switch to electric drive from gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom