Roatan Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoatanMan:
Nor would they have to, I was there for that go-round, as well. CCV handled it with great success. They fed us every morning, dragged us and our luggage to the rain soaked airport. Then by noon, we were headed back to the resort for lunch and another overnight. We never touched our luggage once and it was transported on a tarp covered truck. The extra accomodation nights were comped by CCV. No charge.

-- How ugly does it actually get in December? Is it mostly overcast, or mostly sunny? We're pretty serious divers, but this is, after all, a vacation...Is this the best destination, given the time of the year?
Thanks,
Mel
:confused:

mlaytner:
RoatanMan:
Nor would they have to, I was there for that go-round, as well. CCV handled it with great success. They fed us every morning, dragged us and our luggage to the rain soaked airport. Then by noon, we were headed back to the resort for lunch and another overnight. We never touched our luggage once and it was transported on a tarp covered truck. The extra accomodation nights were comped by CCV. No charge.

-- How ugly does it actually get in December? Is it mostly overcast, or mostly sunny? We're pretty serious divers, but this is, after all, a vacation...Is this the best destination, given the time of the year?
Thanks,
Mel
:confused:

ewwwwwwwww..... you stayed in the same clothes everyday from the moment you tried to leave? :D

It's simple.

This is the lingering end of Huricane season in the Caribbean.

If something doesn't make it to Hurican status, it may be a Tropical Storm, just make it simple... call it a big rainstorm.

Storm tracks in the Caribbean usually go North West. They usually avoid the ABC's and the Bay Islands. Look at a map, think about it. If these places get hit at all, it's with one of the octupus like arms or a tropical storm, being lashed with rain... or drizzled.

In December, anywhere in the Caribbean, it will likely be a bit inclement, rainy, maybe even blustery.

Anywhere they have parasols in the drinks....December kinda sucks.

Ya takes yer chances. hey- you were wet, anyway. Go SCUBA Dive!

wb416:
mlaytner:
ewwwwwwwww..... you stayed in the same clothes everyday from the moment you tried to leave? :D

No, they brought our suitcases back to the dive-op barn. We had access, but still, it wasn't pretty.

Hey, it's Central America- adjust will'ya?

RoatanMan:

Those service points I just detailed above? That type of service didn't come from the other two Roatan big AI resorts. The other two made guests scrap for their own water soaked uncovered luggage, and one of them tried to charge guests for each of the additional three nights at the single night rate of $285 per person. (Compared to the $575 they had just paid for 7 nights).

Nope, :shakehead there's a lot of stuff that doesn't appear on websites.
There was a group from our LDS at Anthony's Key Resort that week (assuming we are talking about the same storm a few years ago around the holidays). If AKR is one of the other two big AI resorts you are talking about (seems to me that would be Treasure Island and AKR), then your information is not correct. AKR provided rooms, food, and I believe even some cocktails for our group during their extended stay. The reports I heard from those who were there is that AKR made things as pleasant as possible, considering the torrential downpour and consequent inability to either leave or dive. In fact, I heard good reports on most of the resorts for that storm.

divingjd:
There was a group from our LDS at Anthony's Key Resort that week (assuming we are talking about the same storm a few years ago around the holidays). If AKR is one of the other two big AI resorts you are talking about (seems to me that would be Treasure Island and AKR), then your information is not correct. AKR provided rooms, food, and I believe even some cocktails for our group during their extended stay. The reports I heard from those who were there is that AKR made things as pleasant as possible, considering the torrential downpour and consequent inability to either leave or dive. In fact, I heard good reports on most of the resorts for that storm.

Well, since you brought it up, I stand by my information as correct. When I talk about resorts, I usually leave the names out unless I have sometyhing good to say.

FIBR was the resort that charged their guests the high rack rate for the extra nights. Many jumped ship and went to the Executive Inn.

AKR comped their guests, but every morning, I watched their guests struggle in the rain to unload their own suitcases from the uncovered stake-sided truck. Saw it with my own two eyes, two mornings in a row.

As I said, we never touched our bags. They were always inside the terminal, dry (kind of) and waiting. At least, the above is what I saw. CCV had an open bar every afternoon.

We stayed at Anthoney's Key last summer - highly recommend this place! 3 dives/day plus 2 night dives/week Very well run operation with relaxed diving. The waters in the area are a bit over fished (locals told us) so the sea life is not as abundant as other places, but corals are in very good shape and visability was wonderful. We did not expect the food to be as good as it was and the ambiance was fantastic. Many rooms are over the water, many are on the beach - but you must have air conditioning. Our group had them - anyone who did not said their nights were very uncomfortable. It has a pool and 2 outdoor bars. Open air dining. They have dolphins encounters including a dive that was one of the best dives of my life. The interaction was a once in a lifetime experience - other resorts offer this at Anthoney's Key and transport them there!

I would love to go back some day! Great place!

Have a wonderful trip where ever you stay.

well after picking everyone's brain at the recent scuba show in long beach, looks like we're going to try inn of last resort. killer deal of $596 for 8 days and 7 nights, and far fewer biting sand flies. or so i've been told...and it seems to be much closer to town, bars, restaurants, etc.

Check my travel reports of Utila and Roatan (West Bay) at http://scuba.royalcs.com Both are great, but be sure to include the bug juice!! My next trip will be a return to Utila. So much fun for my non-diver wife and myself and the prices can't be beat. We took the ferry from Utila to LaCeiba to Roatan for the return and an airplane from Roatan to Utila. Both worked well.

Back
Top Bottom