Roatan ~ Closed until further notice

What scares me the most about Roatan and the Bay Islands

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't mind the opinions shared by all divers. Sometimes they are factually wrong. Sometimes many people disagree with them. Sometimes they make us think. I really think the any attempt at censorship in anyway of the Internet and this board would be a very real mistake. We have plenty of informed divers that can refute or give other opinions. Ridiculous posts that are nothing but playful attempts to may fun of other posters are the real waste of time, energy and space usage. None of us are right all the time so give people with other opinions a break.
I suspect that if this poll were done in a more realistic manner it might be useful.

I don't mind the opinions shared by all divers. Sometimes they are factually wrong. Sometimes many people disagree with them. Sometimes they make us think. I really think the any attempt at censorship in anyway of the Internet and this board would be a very real mistake. We have plenty of informed divers that can refute or give other opinions. Ridiculous posts that are nothing but playful attempts to may fun of other posters are the real waste of time, energy and space usage. None of us are right all the time so give people with other opinions a break.
I suspect that if this poll were done in a more realistic manner it might be useful.

Come on Chuck, Please stop with the nonsense AND CHECK THE CALENDAR, If you look at a few replies such as mine you can hardly suggest this is not a valid thread and poll. You can add you own but in the name of one of our grand Moderators May I suggest

How about posting something useful in response to the OP's request instead of trolling?

Last edited:
Why is that, Walter?

Walter is exactly correct~ in a context. In that Honduras has a Malria Advisory, if you have travelled there, the blood banks do not want to chance accepting it within 1 year of your trip. A lot of places with more extreme diving in the world have this associated downside, as well.

I believe that more potential donors self-disqualify from this requirement... far more than do for any Hepatitis Risk Group would.

But then, the thread was about "what scares you", and the possibility of being barred from blood donation might be quite scary to some.

In terms of what scares me about Roatan, malaria wasn't even on the radar screen until about two years ago when the CDC extended the general Honduran Mainland caution to the Bay Islands as well. So, for about 3 months in 2008 the internet was absolutely abuzz with fears of malaria on the Bay Islands.

Over time, either calmer heads prevailed, or people got bored with the topic. Occasionally, the :search: feature on ScubaBoard breaks down and the question arises, again again.

Earthquakes, Malaria, Crime, Hurricanes, and other stuff.

Of course what Walter forgets is that he could donate blood on the mainland of Honduras or many other Central American regions, Just can't do so in the US after the travels. Perhaps what is scariest is that they can't simply test for such thing, I mean seriously, If I was an infrequent traveler and forgot about a destination then does the blood just go through? Doesn't make me feel all that warm and fuzzy thinking bloodbanks would rely on the honesty and memory of the general public. I wonder how many that donate/sell blood and plasma are completly up front on their activities

Come on Chuck, Please stop with the nonsense AND CHECK THE CALENDAR, If you look at a few replies such as mine you can hardly suggest this is not a valid thread and poll. You can add you own but in the name of one of our grand Moderators May I suggest

I understand perfectly but the entire idea is to poke fun at other posters opinions. I just don't think that's a good idea and that's my opinion. In your opinion, my opinion is nonsense and that's just fine with me in this case. Part of my point is the forum has just had a lot of useless topics lately including this one. Oh well, I'm sure someone will start another controversy soon or post something useful.

The most important category that is not listed is addiction. When diving there you may becomed addicted to the island. I think it's something in the water. Forgot to add, thats the part that scares me, a second trip would definately cause addiction.

Awwwwwww, c'mon! There's NOTHING wrong with a little fun. I'll loan you my sense of humor for awhile, if you like.

I'm just glad Roatan will be open by Saturday! jijiji

Part of my point is the forum has just had a lot of useless topics lately including this one. Oh well, I'm sure someone will start another controversy soon or post something useful.

Chuck,
you do realize it is april 1st don't you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom