Roatan & Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are joining a hobby group on Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas in August and plan to dive Roatan and Cozumel.

With some basic internet searching, I see Coconut Tree Divers in Roatan and Paradise Divers in Cozumel are open to cruise ship divers.

We are intermediate divers with AOW/Nitrox and 200/250 dives. Has anyone dove with these shops and can give insight on what to expect? How big are the dive groups? Are the divers generally experienced enough to manage buoyancy and complete a 60 minute dive?

Are there other shops we should be considering?

Thanks!

Does the ship offer their own dive excursion?

Yes, but I’ve read they sometimes combine the certified divers with the discover scuba divers and I would hate that.

I know I can’t expect a boat of intermediate divers, but at the very least I would like to dive sites beyond those appropriate for DSD.

Not my experience. Cozumel and Roatan will both be dive boats. DSDs dont get to board those.

My ship had Anythonys Key as the provider for the Roatan stop. That was awesome.

Was just in Roatan and dived with West End Divers. I am a fairly new diver and was on a boat with other divers. I and one pair of other divers had our own DM while the more experienced 6 divers had their own DM. We both dived in the same place, just not as long or as deep. It was a good dive.

My dive in Cozumel was canceled but in my experience, i.e, 26 dives while on cruises, some through the ship and some through private dive shops. If you let them know your experience they will put you in a group of divers with similar experience.

BTW, Royal uses Sand Dollar Sports in Cozumel but with your experience you might want to look for a private shop. Though you could book privatly with SDS. The shops that book for the ship dives usually base their dives on the least experienced divers.

Seems like Coconut Tree Drivers in Roatan is a good shop (I also posted on the Cozumel board) so we're going to book with them.

Thanks for the advice on Cozumel - I will take it!

Why not dive with Martin in cozumel (I think still located at cruise ship pier)?

Anthony's in Roatan takes cruisers too...

Why not dive with Martin in cozumel (I think still located at cruise ship pier)?

Anthony's in Roatan takes cruisers too...

Anthony's Key in Roatan is who all the cruise ships use. It's a big operation

For Roatan, West End and Coconut Tree are often well mentioned. Another option I can personally recommend is Sun Divers.

Anthony's Key in Roatan is who all the cruise ships use. It's a big operation

For the amount of time that a cruiser has to get some dives in, that's gonna be a quick choice and they have tons of boats

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom