Roatan Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would be perfect if it had a pool
Infinity Bay has about the biggest/best on Roatan afaik. http://www.infinitybay.com/modules/photo_gallery/category/Resort It's in West Bay though. Their beach also sees cruise excursions during the day.

If there's more of you, the "tree houses" at Luna Beach resort are pretty nice. Up the hill from the resort but you get to use all the amenities. They have a pool and serve breakfast/lunch - about a 10min. walk along the water to the West End for dinner - or a short water taxi ride. If not the 1-2 br. rooms are waterfront - no kitchens.

There's a pool at AKR but the cabanas are nowhere near as nice - just overwater. And they're just basically large rooms - all meals etc. are at the dining room mainland side.

Except for not being in the West End - a real comparable to Den Laman is Barefoot Cay. It's on the south side and sort of close to French Harbour. About 20mins. by cab to the West End though. Mary's Place is 5mins. off their dock and they have a nice, but small beach. You can rent a villa, a part of a villa or one of several lofts on the mainland side above the dive shop. They're all equally nice - we spent some time there. Nice pool and restaurant. All of their units also have full kitchens and several of the larger food stores on Roatan are in French Harbor if your plan is to cook some.

If you're more in line with renting a villa, Pristine Bay looks pretty nice. Pretty far removed from the West End though. There's also some rentals in Lawson Creek which is a little closer in Sandy Bay. There's also Parrot Beach on the south side but just about everything is a drive from there. Besides the pool(s) they have a protected man-made lagoon that you can snorkel in. I've never been to any of them personally.

I liked Cocolobo also. I rented a house next door and have seen the property - just not inside the rooms. From there it's a 5-10min. walk to the West End.

All due respect to Joe but staying in the West End and diving with West Bay Divers makes little sense. There are 1/2 dozen equally good dive operators in the West End that you can walk to. Native Sons, Reef Gliders, Coconut Tree, West End Divers etc.

Why stay at Splash and ride the West Bay boat to West Bay when Splash has their boats at the same dock. Obviously Joe didn't know your standards when he posted but Splash and Den Laman aren't in the same league. Very little actually in the West End is - except for some condos. Splash also has a cruise diver program.

If you ever go back to Bonaire, check out BelMar also. Along the same road ad Bellevue/Belafonte but they have a pool. And Buddy Dive has a shop/boat on-site. No sand though - all ironshore to the water's edge.

Last edited:
Completely disagree! West Bay Divers is valet, small group diving with very talented staff. West End Divers and Coconut Tree are two of the largest operations with large boats and LOTS of divers and are what some people call "divemaster factories". Not even in the same league! I didn't give Splash Inn dive shop my personal recommendation because they have had almost 100% turn over during the past 8-10 months. I don't have any personal experience with the current instructors, do you? How about all of those other places you mentioned. Do you have personal experience with all of them? If so great, then lets hear about it.

There are many people that like to go to West Bay during the day for the best dive shop, great beach, upscale restaurants and some of the best snorkeling on the island. Then head back to West End where the hotels are MUCH less expensive and most of the nightlife takes place.

Anyway, it all just depends on how much a person wants to spend and what kind of diving a person wants to do. The OP indicated that she wanted to save some money (go on a budget), so that was the intent of my earlier post. Heck, if money is no object, get on VRBO and rent a condo at Infinity Bay, Mayan Princess for $200-$800 per night, but walk down the beach and dive with the best, West Bay Divers! But don't take my word for it, get on Trip Advisor and read for yourself.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...t_Bay_Divers-West_Bay_Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

SORRY Joe. I think it is quite ridiculous to take a water taxi to get the valet service dive experience. If on the other hand, the valet service wanted to come and pick me up in West End, that would be fine.

Splash Inn? Are you kidding?

How about the Beach House or Coral Vista (which is too large) might do. Sunset Villas also probably meet the criteria but again like Coco Loco, not recommended for walking alone in the evening or after night out.

I'm not sure that West End should be on OP's radar.

I only know West End Divers by referral but we dove a week with CTD in March. (a few years ago) There were 7 of us and about 1/2 the week we were joined by 4 ladies from TX. They don't call dives on time and the DMT's just shadow the group after getting in after we did. I don't personally have a problem with that. I tried every day to help them carry my gear from the shop to the boat and back but they never let me. Most times I would start rinsing it and they'd offer to finish it, dry it, and store it.

I count more divers on West Bay Divers panga on their website front page than they list - unless several are crew (DMT's?)
Our primary boat, a 26ft long panga the “Falia Chan Kane”, can accommodate 7 customers per dive
Wading in off the beach in West Bay isn't really my idea of valet diving either. Compared to 7 of us (sometimes 11) on CTD's 33' boat. Boats | Scuba Diving | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | PADI We often did two dives before returning to the dock - nice to have the extra tank capacity. Aren't all the West Bay panga dives single dives at most of the ops?

West Bay also solicits Cruise divers on their website. So that potentially dumbs down the dive site selection. To be fair - two dives during the week we had one cruise diver join us also. But it didn't affect the site chosen on one trip. (Texas)

I personally find re-boarding large boats with full sized ladders/swimsteps easier than Pangas since I hand up video gear and weights but usually walk up everything else. So which is really valet diving?

Real Valet Diving is Barefoot Divers. Dropped my gear on the ground there on arrival and didn't touch it again till we left except to dive - and it was cleaned/dried for us while we ate lunch. But it's not in the West End.

You don't honestly believe what you read on TripAdvisor right? :rofl3: I suppose you also believe that BBB ratings can't be purchased (google it...)

The most upscale restaurant on Roatan - arguably even in the Bay Islands according to reviewers - is Oooloonthoo in the West End. Look it up...There's an Argentinean Grille in either area. I haven't been to Black Pearl but I hear it's pretty nice.

I will agree on West Bay Beach - Half Moon Bay beach is pretty average.

Just for reference, this is what the OP is expecting: Bonaire Dive Resort: Best of Bonaire Oceanfront Condominiums Den Laman Bonaire

SORRY Joe. I think it is quite ridiculous to take a water taxi to get the valet service dive experience. If on the other hand, the valet service wanted to come and pick me up in West End, that would be fine.

Splash Inn? Are you kidding?

How about the Beach House or Coral Vista (which is too large) might do. Sunset Villas also probably meet the criteria but again like Coco Loco, not recommended for walking alone in the evening or after night out.

I'm not sure that West End should be on OP's radar.

Yes I'm serious.. I've stayed there several times and it's a fine budget friendly place. I have a friend that used to work at the Beach House. Its nice, but $150-200 per night! Coral Vista for $2300-$5000 per week????

This is getting silly now... I think you might want to read through the entire thread. The point was a budget friendly place to sleep at night when not diving. If a person wants to drop that kind of money then yeah, I agree don't even bother with West End..

Also, I believe a I mentioned getting on the West Bay Divers boat right in front of Splash Inn, did I not?

I only know West End Divers by referral but we dove a week with CTD in March. (a few years ago) There were 7 of us and about 1/2 the week we were joined by 4 ladies from TX. They don't call dives on time and the DMT's just shadow the group after getting in after we did. I don't personally have a problem with that. I tried every day to help them carry my gear from the shop to the boat and back but they never let me. Most times I would start rinsing it and they'd offer to finish it, dry it, and store it.

I count more divers on West Bay Divers panga on their website front page than they list - unless several are crew (DMT's?) Wading in off the beach in West Bay isn't really my idea of valet diving either. Compared to 7 of us (sometimes 11) on CTD's 33' boat. Boats | Scuba Diving | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | PADI We often did two dives before returning to the dock - nice to have the extra tank capacity. Aren't all the West Bay panga dives single dives at most of the ops?

West Bay also solicits Cruise divers on their website. So that potentially dumbs down the dive site selection. To be fair - two dives during the week we had one cruise diver join us also. But it didn't affect the site chosen on one trip. (Texas)

I personally find re-boarding large boats with full sized ladders/swimsteps easier than Pangas since I hand up video gear and weights but usually walk up everything else. So which is really valet diving?

Real Valet Diving is Barefoot Divers. Dropped my gear on the ground there on arrival and didn't touch it again till we left except to dive - and it was cleaned/dried for us while we ate lunch. But it's not in the West End.

You don't honestly believe what you read on TripAdvisor right? :rofl3: I suppose you also believe that BBB ratings can't be purchased (google it...)

The most upscale restaurant on Roatan - arguably even in the Bay Islands according to reviewers - is Oooloonthoo in the West End. Look it up...There's an Argentinean Grille in either area. I haven't been to Black Pearl but I hear it's pretty nice.

I will agree on West Bay Beach - Half Moon Bay beach is pretty average.

Just for reference, this is what the OP is expecting: Bonaire Dive Resort: Best of Bonaire Oceanfront Condominiums Den Laman Bonaire

Yes most of the time it's single dive trips with surface intervals on shore. The reef is minutes away, so why sit around out on the water when you can come back to the beach and relax?

Number of people in some advertising photo? Are you talking about the one with water drops on the lense? I see Norlan the boat captain standing up, one or possibly two instructors and six or seven customers... Problem?

The first dive of the day is a deep dive and cruise ship customers rarely get to the shop in time for the first dive. I haven't experienced any dumbing down of dives because of a cruiseship passenger. I have seen more than one instructor placed on a boat to lead two difference groups based on experience levels though.

Yes, West Bay Divers meets your description of "real valet diving." Don't know what else to say about it. Yes they have a small boat, because they cater to small groups. If a person likes big, slow boats with lots of divers then it's pretty simple, don't pick West Bay Divers.

I've never tried the Oooloonthoo and don't know anyone that has. Black Pearl Restaurant? Never heard of it..... Or do you mean the Vintage Pearl Restaurant? Been to the Vintage Pearl once and it was just okay. Nothing special in my book..

My favorite restaurant in West End is the Roatan Oasis. Also happens to be rated #1 for West End and #3 for Roatan. I've personally eaten there 6 or 7 times and the TA reviews are accurate.

Yes, I find the Trip Advisor ratings to typically be pretty accurate. Seems a little off topic to start discussing the validity of Trip Advisor and how the BBB works.

Is the OP expecting a Den Laman Condo? That's not how I understood her post. If so, then I obviously wouldn't consider Splash Inn to be a comparable type accomodation. The OP just needs to decide on budget or luxury.. You can't have it both ways.

Mayan Princess has a pool too, most of the guests are divers, and it is a nice small and cozy resort
it is much cheaper getting the AI then renting separate, you can't go wrong with paying $1300 for 7 night accommodation in a Deluxe Room, including 15 Dive Package with a complementary 1 Night Dive, but without knowing what your definition of "budget" is, can't really tell
Mayan Divers, located on the premises are awesome and personally, i consider it a luxury to have the dive shop onsite
depending on the winds and currents they will either dive right from the resort or load your gear in the truck and take you over to the other side of the island

I count more divers on West Bay Divers panga on their website front page than they list - unless several are crew (DMT's?)
Retracted - I now count 10 total so 2-3 are likely crew. Looked at it quick as it flashed by and I thought it seemed more crowded.

This is still a better dive platform though in terms of ease of boarding/reboarding. 14 divers max. Which I really didn't emphasize in my previous post. http://www.coconuttreedivers.com/asset/images/potlicker2.jpeg

And in the West End where the OP indicated she might want to stay. So either board CTD's boat and go dive or board West Bay's boat in the West End and ride over to West Bay to go dive - seems less convenient for sites like Spooky and El Aguila. Granted there's not much difference going to Texas...

I meant Vintage Pearl. Pretty sure you knew that. So who's being ridiculous now? f.y.i. Ooloonthoo Indian Cuisine | Please Call: 504-9936-5223 | Roatan Honduras - it's as good as they say. Don't take this personal but I'll trust Frommers and the New York Times reviews over Trip Advisor.

It's apparent we focused on different things. I read the OP's post - and subsequent follow-up detailing where she'd been as what she was interested in was luxury first within a budget if possible. "AKR looks wonderful". You focused on the budget aspect. Had I - I would've suggested Reef House and not Barefoot. Or Sueno - at least it's beachfront.

I'm done here...

Yes Sueno was my next up. Possibly Lost Paradise Inn beachside units.

I meant Vintage Pearl. Pretty sure you knew that. So who's being ridiculous now?

I'm done here...

Nope.. Not trying to be snarky at all... I guess I probably could have asked if you were talking about the golf course rather than just saying I had never heard of it. Sorry...

There is the Black Pearl Golf Course, which is a part of the Pristine Bay Resort in French Harbor which has a nice restaurant.. and Vintage Pearl is part of Bananarama in West Bay. I just wanted to make it clear for someone that might go there in the future and not know what is where. If someone asked to go to the Black Pearl Restaurant, there's a chance a taxi driver would take them to the Pristine Bay Resort restaurant at the Black Pearl Golf Course in French Harbor.

I'm done too! :)

Last edited:
We liked this place.

P1010676.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom